Author Topic: iphone  (Read 378119 times)

Got Haggis?

Re: iphone
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2009, 11:48:50 pm »
yeah I have a carrier update file that enables MMS as well, but sending will fail (and receiving you get the current text message with login info to view picture) unless you can convince ATT to take off the 'opt-out' code (WAP-PUSH). I tried to convince them to do it since I'm an iPhone developer, but they wouldn't do it although a friend of mine did manage to get them to change it for him...so he has MMS on his iPhone now...bastard.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2009, 04:04:32 pm »
Ken Biba, founder of wireless consulting firm Novarum, said the rejection of SlingPlayer is clear evidence that AT&T?s network is overloaded, and the problem is likely going to get worse.

?I interpret AT&T?s actions as less about being closed and more about having not enough network capacity,? said Biba, noting that the new iPhone 3GS introduces video recording and uploading ? which will clog the network even more.

Biba added that even when carriers roll out the fourth-generation Long Term Evolution cellular network, AT&T?s network capacity will still be insufficient because by then, smartphones will be even more sophisticated and affordable, creating even more congestion.
OU812

thirsty moore

« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2009, 06:46:50 pm »
I bought an 8 gig last week.  My old phone was a t-mobile giveaway that was on its last legs.  Pretty happy with it so far.  Any recommendations on apps?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:50:17 pm by thirsty moore »

Chip Chanko

« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:34 pm »
MLB at bat (if you are a baseball fan). You get audio for every game and they just added video for select games each day. All for only 9.99 for the season.

If you use gmail then set up your contacts to sync http://www.google.com/mobile/apple/sync.html

Netnewswire (for rss).

Public Radio Tuner

Weatherbug

Drop7 (most addictive game ever)

Those are the things I use daily. Lots of websites have mobile or iphone optimized versions. I prefer mobile.nytimes.com to their app.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2009, 12:32:59 am »
Spend the buck for Weatherbug Elite. Animated radar is useful.

Bebot is a really fun synth app for $2.
😐 🎶

Chip Chanko

« Reply #170 on: June 26, 2009, 11:47:14 am »
Spend the buck for Weatherbug Elite. Animated radar is useful.

I agree...I use the radar almost every day before I walk out for lunch to gauge whether I need an umbrella or not. The elite version is definitely worth it over the included weather app and the free version. It seems more responsive and the ads are annoying. On the other hand...I don't mind the free version of AIM vs. the paid version.

thirsty moore

« Reply #171 on: June 27, 2009, 03:28:27 pm »
This is what I've got so far.  CameraBag is awesome.  Use CardStar for all of those membership cards they give you at CVS, Giant, etc.

redsock

« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2009, 08:21:39 pm »
Being a new iphone user myself, i'd love to hear what other apps folks are using.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2009, 11:39:58 pm »
Being a new iphone user myself, i'd love to hear what other apps folks are using.

What are your interests/hobbies? What kind of info do you find useful? I have 78 apps, mostly free, many music related, lots of games. Unfortunately, there's no way I know of to grab a simple text list of what I have, and any list would simply be titles w/o descriptions.

Anyway, ones I use a lot include Facebook, Weather Bug Elite, Twitterrific, Oblique Strategies, Bloom (last two Eno-related), Minisynth, Thereminator, Tuner (use it to listen to any web radio stream), Bebot, Word Warp, Backgammon, and Scoops.
😐 🎶

Chip Chanko

« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2009, 12:26:08 am »
Apple's "remote" app is good if you use airtunes at home. Airsharing if you want to use the phone as a portable drive (i find an 8gb thumb drive to be more useful). Lexulous if you play that on facebook a bunch. I'll reiterate Drop7 for most addictive game. I have over 70 apps but only use about 5 or 6 on a regular basis. Smart Dial is kind of an easier dialer (can use numbers for text). Sportacular is my sports score app for football/hockey season (mlb at bat is better for baseball).

On a regular basis I mainly use weatherbug, netnewswire, remote, mint, public radio tuner, mlb at bat, facebook, and Drop7.

And again, google mobile sync for contacts and calendars rocks if you use gmail. Plus you can now log into youtube so your subscriptions carry over.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2009, 08:45:20 am »
sol free, wikipanion, ebay, directv
o/\o

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2009, 12:54:28 pm »
FML, Sportacular, Whitepages, Wikipanion, NY Times, Wash Post Going Out Guide, What's On (tv listings), Facebook, AP Mobile, iPeng (controls the Squeezebox on my wifi network at home), Drinks Free (like 5000 cocktail recipies).

walkonby

« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2009, 01:58:37 pm »
an off iphone topic (man, i'm slowly becoming the "prince" of off topic things) but this is a cell phone related question and i just know either vansmack or somebody else can help.  i have sprint.  i have a cell phone.  i live in b.f.e. (almost in a national forest) where cell service does not work.  for the longest time i enjoied it as an escape from work and the outside world luxuary.  but now, for work i need it, because opportunities have arisen where i can work at home (and take nice little breaks to play my new love: first person shooter video games).  i was reading an issue of esquire that is a few months old and i do believe i read something about that they now have this thing that plugs into your wireless internet acces at home to allow ranged cell phone service where normally you do not have service.  i think they said sprint and other companies have it for a monthly fee.  the problem is my partner threw out the issue after i was done reading it and now i don't know if i actually read it (i sometimes suffer sporatic hallucinations) and if it was true, has anybody heard about it/have it/used it . . . and can give me a review/is it worth it/etc...

thanks so kindly from the person who made sonic leave in a huff.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2009, 02:03:36 pm »
an off iphone topic (man, i'm slowly becoming the "prince" of off topic things) but this is a cell phone related question and i just know either vansmack or somebody else can help.  i have sprint.  i have a cell phone.  i live in b.f.e. (almost in a national forest) where cell service does not work.  for the longest time i enjoied it as an escape from work and the outside world luxuary.  but now, for work i need it, because opportunities have arisen where i can work at home (and take nice little breaks to play my new love: first person shooter video games).  i was reading an issue of esquire that is a few months old and i do believe i read something about that they now have this thing that plugs into your wireless internet acces at home to allow ranged cell phone service where normally you do not have service.  i think they said sprint and other companies have it for a monthly fee.  the problem is my partner threw out the issue after i was done reading it and now i don't know if i actually read it (i sometimes suffer sporatic hallucinations) and if it was true, has anybody heard about it/have it/used it . . . and can give me a review/is it worth it/etc...

Call me crazy, but did it occur to you to call Sprint?

walkonby

« Reply #179 on: June 29, 2009, 02:13:52 pm »

Call me crazy, but did it occur to you to call Sprint?
you're crazy.  but that would mean talking to a live person!   :D  ok i will right now.  watch them say, from india, "we have no idea what you a re talking about.."