Author Topic: iphone  (Read 378055 times)

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
Re: iphone
« Reply #300 on: November 10, 2009, 02:34:15 pm »
I picked up the Hero the week after it came out and love this phone. I can't wait until the release the 2.0 firmware.  There's a few kinks but that is expected with a first release of any electronic gadget.

Well, three days with 1.5 with SenseUI (HTC) overlay on a Hero for Sprint if that helps.  Much like WinMo, the skins make it much easier to use.  I have yet to use 2.0 for more than a few minutes at the Verizon store, and would say that the Moto keyboard on the droid is not the easiest in the world to use.  Might take some getting used to.

All in all I had a fairly positive experience with Droid. The widgets run fairly smoothly, even when running multiple widgets simultaneously.  There was a great perfromance increase with the Moto phone over the HTC phone, due mostly to the faster processor, but the overall user experience with the Droid phone was not as nice as the HTC phone.

Was there anything specific you were looking for? 
3MTA3

vansmack

« Reply #301 on: November 10, 2009, 05:48:44 pm »
I think that the android phone to get will be htc's stab at 2.0. 

I think you're right about this, and if you can hold off, I'd go with their snapdragon version in the HD2 mold that runs Android - it will run 2.0 much better.  I expect a March release date for that phone.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #302 on: November 10, 2009, 06:16:25 pm »
I think that the android phone to get will be htc's stab at 2.0. 

I think you're right about this, and if you can hold off, I'd go with their snapdragon version in the HD2 mold that runs Android - it will run 2.0 much better.  I expect a March release date for that phone.

I'm in no hurry.  I'm not bound to anything now.  But when the contract with att is up i'm jumping ship probably to verizon and whatever their best current phone is, assuming the choices are what I think they will be.

vansmack

« Reply #303 on: November 17, 2009, 02:05:03 pm »
Oh, those zany folks at Verizon...

See, now if I could have been this kind of lawyer, I may have gone corporate...

In response to the at&t lawsuit agasint Verizon claiming these ads "misleading" the opening line for Verizon's rebuttal:

"AT&T did not file this lawsuit because Verizon's "There's A Map For That" advertisements are untrue; AT&T sued because Verizon's ads are true and the truth hurts."

Ouch.  But wait, there's more....

In the final analysis, AT&T seeks emergency relief because Verizon's side-by-side, apples-to-apples comparison of its own 3G coverage with AT&T's confirms what the marketplace has been saying for months: AT&T failed to invest adequately in the necessary infrastructure to expand its 3G coverage to support its growth in smartphone business, and the usefulness of its service to smartphone users has suffered accordingly.

That's not legalese, that's fantastic conjecture.  And Smackie loves every bit of it.....
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #304 on: November 17, 2009, 02:15:51 pm »
On cue.  They're watching me....

at&t Spending Big Bucks to Improve Phone Service
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #305 on: November 20, 2009, 03:25:02 pm »
27>34

wml7

« Reply #306 on: November 20, 2009, 04:07:26 pm »
I was out of contract with my sprint phone and almost made the leap to at&t and getting an iphone.  I'm still on this plan called Sero on sprint which is like 29 bucks total tax included that includes unlimited everything and 500 mins a month.  I decided to stay and got the touch pro 2 from HTC.  It's ok but not as responsive as the iphone as far as the screen goes.  But hey you can't beat that 29 bucks  ;D

Looks like a great deal and I'd love to be able to switch over for something like that but, alas, as I've stated elsewhere before, Sprint, absolutely, NEVER, EVER works anywhere that I try to make a phone call. So, they are totally out of my life! Sure wish T-Mobile would bring my charges down to something like that. Other than the cost, so far, I've been totally happy with them and (so far) have been able to call from every and anywhere. From my experience, can't do that with Sprint or Verizon.

do you live in the boonies??   ;D I've never had a problem with my sprint service.  Always had coverage where ever I have been.  The touch pro 2 is pretty nice once I tweaked it up with stuff.  Still messing around with it but so far so good  ;D

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2009, 04:20:55 pm »
do you live in the boonies??   ;D I've never had a problem with my sprint service.  Always had coverage where ever I have been.  The touch pro 2 is pretty nice once I tweaked it up with stuff.  Still messing around with it but so far so good  ;D
Not really. When I had Sprint, I lived somewhere else then but had problems in both the East and West sides of Baltimore City, various different locations around East and Northeast Baltimore County, Ocean City, Delaware and a few odd locations along the northern side of the Capital Beltway. This was about 10 years ago so can't remember all the locations I've tried. Maybe it's improved since then but I'm not willing to take that chance again. Their customer service was whack too which didn't sit too well with me.So far T-Mobile has been working in all those locations and then some.

vansmack

« Reply #308 on: November 30, 2009, 01:23:38 pm »
Nonetheless, this techcrunch tablet prototype is my next device:

I can't even begin to tell you how sad this makes me....

The Crunchpad disappearas in a Cloud of Vapor
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #309 on: December 07, 2009, 04:20:28 pm »
I can't even begin to tell you how sad this makes me....

The Crunchpad disappearas in a Cloud of Vapor

Reports of it's demise were overblown.  It is however, in direct violation of my $400 limit for any gadget.  At $299, I was thinking hard about it, at $399 I was willing to have the discussion with the Mrs about it, but at $499 with that limited functionality, I'll be passing...

CrunchPad becomes the JooJoo

27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #310 on: December 07, 2009, 04:40:37 pm »
Reports of it's demise were overblown.  It is however, in direct violation of my $400 limit for any gadget.  At $299, I was thinking hard about it, at $399 I was willing to have the discussion with the Mrs about it, but at $499 with that limited functionality, I'll be passing...

this price-point debate of yours may well be purely academic, until they get their IP fights out of the way:

Mr. Arrington has said that he intends to sue Fusion Garage and those involved, claiming that the two companies jointly owned the intellectual property. Though Mr. Arrington is a lawyer, he had not written or signed contracts with Fusion Garage to establish joint intellectual property.

TechCrunch did, however, spend time and money on the project, and the Fusion Garage team, including Mr. Rathakrishnan, spent considerable time working in TechCrunch?s office. The two companies had also discussed plans for TechCrunch to acquire Fusion Garage.

?It?s legally impossible for them to simply build and sell the device without our agreement,? Mr. Arrington wrote on his blog.

Still, TechCrunch does not have physical control of any of the intellectual property, the source briefed on the details said, and could not commercialize the product without Fusion Garage.

Mr. Rathakrishnan called Mr. Arrington?s claims ?simply ludicrous.? He said, ?Fusion Garage alone owns all I.P. and proprietary rights associated with the product.?

(source)
<sig>

Chip Chanko

« Reply #311 on: December 07, 2009, 05:25:22 pm »
What about this for only $395?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:30:31 pm by Chip Chanko »

vansmack

« Reply #312 on: December 07, 2009, 06:35:32 pm »
this price-point debate of yours may well be purely academic, until they get their IP fights out of the way:

Arrington is in a really shitty spot....

"Though Mr. Arrington is a lawyer, he had not written or signed contracts with Fusion Garage to establish joint intellectual property."

He'll be held to a higher standard when seeking an injunction and he's pretty much screwed.  Dec 11 these things will be up for order and I suspect all of this drama will be worked out with a settlement afterwards.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #313 on: December 07, 2009, 07:34:09 pm »
I'm currently beta testing the 8tracks iphone app, it will be a cool addition to listen to music from the cloud landscape...
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #314 on: December 07, 2009, 07:36:11 pm »
Smackie needs an Android user to try out this new app and tell me what it does for the wine label portion of the app.  Kindly report back:

Google Goggles

27>34