Author Topic: iphone  (Read 378023 times)

vansmack

27>34

HoyaSaxa03

Re: iphone
« Reply #616 on: July 15, 2010, 02:42:45 pm »
I couldn't wait for WM7.  The Droid X is fantastic.  That is all.
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #617 on: July 15, 2010, 02:59:16 pm »
I couldn't wait for WM7.  The Droid X is fantastic.  That is all.

Not quite the EVO, but not that far behind either.  It's a GREAT phone.

I'm looking forward to the Galaxy S line from Samsung too.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:01:24 pm by vansmack »
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #618 on: July 15, 2010, 03:00:18 pm »
is there a app that will turn your screen into a mirror?  gay guys want to rejoice.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #619 on: July 15, 2010, 03:45:14 pm »
is there a app that will turn your screen into a mirror?  gay guys want to rejoice.

Sure just use any phone with a front facing camera and vamp away.

vansmack

« Reply #620 on: July 16, 2010, 11:13:23 am »
So, free bumpers or recall?

I say apology and software fix, maybe free bumpers, but no recall. Maybe extended return period if software doesn't work.

New iPhones will have a coating over that revolutionary super-special antenna slit they touted at its release party.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #621 on: July 16, 2010, 01:54:12 pm »
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #622 on: July 16, 2010, 02:18:07 pm »
I love the PR spin.  Despite at&t upgrading their network, the iPhone4 only loses about "one more call than the 3GS did at it's release."

Seems really good right?

Not when you consider that at&t probably loses between and 1 and 5 calls per 100 at this point.

So let's say they lose 1 - that means the iPhone 4 loses twice as many calls per 100.

Let's assume 5.  1 more call dropped is a 20% increase.

The masters of the PR spin...except for the thinking people in the world.
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #623 on: July 16, 2010, 02:40:46 pm »
I love the PR spin.  Despite at&t upgrading their network, the iPhone4 only loses about "one more call than the 3GS did at it's release."

Seems really good right?

Not when you consider that at&t probably loses between and 1 and 5 calls per 100 at this point.

So let's say they lose 1 - that means the iPhone 4 loses twice as many calls per 100.

Let's assume 5.  1 more call dropped is a 20% increase.

The masters of the PR spin...except for the thinking people in the world.

And you're showing statistic spin as well. If a city has two murders one year and three the next, that's a (oh the horrror!) 50% increase in the murder rate. Time to vote the mayor out of office, right?

Differences in small numbers can be amplified positively or negatively by simple application of percentages. Thinking people see through that.
😐 🎶

vansmack

« Reply #624 on: July 16, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »
And you're showing statistic spin as well. If a city has two murders one year and three the next, that's a (oh the horrror!) 50% increase in the murder rate. Time to vote the mayor out of office, right?

Differences in small numbers can be amplified positively or negatively by simple application of percentages. Thinking people see through that.

The difference, of course, being that the Mayor would have to post the ACTUAL numbers.  He couldn't hide behind the police department not wanting those numbers to be made public - he doesn't have a choice.

Here, Apple said at&t won't release those numbers because they didn't want that information to fall to their competition.  Thus, I'm pointing out that what they've made to sound like a minor problem is very likely larger than they are making it out to be given they limited the  scope to 1 in 100 and even at the average rate of dropped calls for most US carriers, it could be fairly significant.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #625 on: July 17, 2010, 11:44:09 am »
That press conference was classic Apple.   A small tactical retreat, but clouds of spin, and implicit blame on the customers, AT&T ... anybody but themselves.   That is the problem with PR hype -- eventually you start to believe it yourself.   The new Iphone 4 was described repeatedly by Jobs at the launch as "magic," and apparently that's what they were counting on.

And why can't Jobs find something else in his wardrobe besides a black turtleneck and jeans?

Come to think of it, why isn't anyone else at Apple capable of speaking for the company?

I'm satisfied enough with my old Iphone, but the blame-the-customer 'tude of Apple, combined with its cult-like fans, is enough to make me want to switch when it's time for a new phone.

_\|/_

slappy

« Reply #626 on: July 19, 2010, 05:15:59 pm »
The difference, of course, being that the Mayor would have to post the ACTUAL numbers.  He couldn't hide behind the police department not wanting those numbers to be made public - he doesn't have a choice.
You've never lived in a major city if you really believe the above statement. Mayor McCheese may possess the ethics to be honest and post the ACTUAL numbers of hamburglaries, but real world politics are much different.

This thread should be renamed 'Apple screwed up a product. Let's beat it like a piñata.'

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #627 on: July 27, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »
Jailbreaking iPhone apps is now legal
IPhone users can now legally hack their phones to download applications that aren't in Apple's App Store.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/26/technology/iphone_jailbreaking/index.html

and smackie sez...

in other news: Most iPhone users love AT&T, http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/23/technology/iphone_4_att/index.htm
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #628 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:05 pm »
Jailbreaking iPhone apps is now legal
IPhone users can now legally hack their phones to download applications that aren't in Apple's App Store.
http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/26/technology/iphone_jailbreaking/index.html

and smackie sez...

in other news: Most iPhone users love AT&T, http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/23/technology/iphone_4_att/index.htm

Be careful - legal does not mean that it does not violate the terms of your agreement with Apple or at&t, it simply means you can't be prosecuted for jailbreaking (and they're protecting the hackers mostly, not those of you that do it).  If you brick your phone while jailbreaking, it's your problem not the manufacturer or carrier.

And as far as the CNN story - fanboi's can simply not have a negative opinion of anything they use or own.  Give them an option and we'll see how much those results change...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #629 on: August 09, 2010, 12:47:57 pm »
Jag, you bring up two good points.

The first is that the Xperia X1 (Sony Ericsson's top phone) makes me jizz in my pants a little.  It's a beautiful phone that American carriers have avoided like the plague.  It's all over Europe and Asia and causes me a tremendous amount of cell phone envy.

Jag - this phone is shockingly, FINALLY coming to America on at&t for $129 starting August 15th (ahem, Amazon for $49 a week later...).  Even more shockingly, it will run Android 1.6 which is at least 8 months old at this point.  Unbelievable.
27>34