Author Topic: iphone  (Read 375959 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: iphone
« Reply #900 on: January 26, 2012, 03:27:51 pm »
see . . . i got people talking about it again.  wasn't trying to be mean.  but it did sound mean didn't it?  i gotta learn to reword around thought out emotions.  vansmack (oops sorry slappy) is just used to me being mean to people, which turns those people mean in responce, and that is not nice.   

i think this is a interesting topic all around, because it is filled with so many "but what about this product" and "yes i use that product too, so what if any can be my real opinion?"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:31:27 pm by walkonby »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #901 on: January 26, 2012, 03:39:40 pm »
and the jobs . . . i also love the fact that people in this country are so obsessed with jobs and work.  just like china.  i don't live in china and have not studied the microchasms of individual life versus corporate control enough to say, hey i know one hundred percent about anything regarding the factory structure, how the migration of the country's rural farmers into city dwellers at the dream of money and how the future of china (as if it isn't already almost there in the street food of any chinese city) will be a total food control system manipulated and run by computers/robots/monsanto where the farmer isn't even needed anymore so they must move on up to this new "farming" which is mass produced technology.  the human who once controlled the cattle . . . is now the cattle.  we are almost blade runner.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:42:02 pm by walkonby »

slappy

« Reply #902 on: January 26, 2012, 03:45:33 pm »
see . . . i got people talking about it again.  wasn't trying to be mean.  but it did sound mean didn't it?  i gotta learn to reword around thought out emotions.  vansmack is just used to me being mean to people, which turns those people mean in responce, and that is not nice.   

i think this is a interesting topic all around, because it is filled with so many "but what about this product" and "yes i use that product too, so what if any can be my real opinion?"

The ends do justify the means in this case.

@Chaz

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #903 on: January 26, 2012, 03:50:02 pm »
and the jobs . . . i also love the fact that people in this country are so obsessed with jobs and work.  just like china.  i don't live in china and have not studied the microchasms of individual life versus corporate control enough to say, hey i know one hundred percent about anything regarding the factory structure, how the migration of the country's rural farmers into city dwellers at the dream of money and how the future of china (as if it isn't already almost there in the street food of any chinese city) will be a total food control system manipulated and run by computers/robots/monsanto where the farmer isn't even needed anymore so they must move on up to this new "farming" which is mass produced technology.  the human who once controlled the cattle . . . is now the cattle.  we are almost blade runner.

ps . . . i believe this same logic is already at hand in our country.  just come out to my neck of woods, or drive up/down the i-eighty one corridor in virginia to see how the shenandoah valley which is very much so based on agriculture and farming . . . is becoming the "silicon valley of factories."

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #904 on: January 26, 2012, 07:43:00 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html

Already discussed at top of page.

yeah . . . because you should discuss human suffering for technology . . . only once.

Nobody dismissed these topics, what was retarded was doom's assertion that somehow apple cult member hipster idiots are largely responsible for the horrible labor practices in foreign countries.

FACT.  Companies as big as apple get that way by doing things in the most cost effective manner possible.  ALL they care about is the bottom line.  Don't ever act surprised that a campany like apple employs labor practices at the cost of human decency.  Corporations by their very nature are greedy soulless beasts.

I can't believe this could come as a surprise to anybody.  How can the facts in these articles be a revelation to anyone. 

I'm not waving a flag here, just stating the obvious.  Don't bother appealing to the common decency of these pigs.  They will do anything within the law (and sometimes those areas get very grey) to make a buck. 

The only way to change labor practices like these is to change the laws/rules govering the corporations that employ them.  Just reading this last sentence I've written I'm having another "duh" moment.

This sounds like the voice of an Apple cult hipster defending the company's practices as "FACT," and completely absolving the company of any responsibility, which completely validates my point that Apple's fanbase are partly to blame for the company's practices.   If their customers had real issues with Apple's practices, they'd change it in a hurry, laws or no laws.
_\|/_

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #905 on: January 26, 2012, 09:47:53 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/business/ieconomy-apples-ipad-and-the-human-costs-for-workers-in-china.html

Already discussed at top of page.

yeah . . . because you should discuss human suffering for technology . . . only once.

Nobody dismissed these topics, what was retarded was doom's assertion that somehow apple cult member hipster idiots are largely responsible for the horrible labor practices in foreign countries.

FACT.  Companies as big as apple get that way by doing things in the most cost effective manner possible.  ALL they care about is the bottom line.  Don't ever act surprised that a campany like apple employs labor practices at the cost of human decency.  Corporations by their very nature are greedy soulless beasts.

I can't believe this could come as a surprise to anybody.  How can the facts in these articles be a revelation to anyone. 

I'm not waving a flag here, just stating the obvious.  Don't bother appealing to the common decency of these pigs.  They will do anything within the law (and sometimes those areas get very grey) to make a buck. 

The only way to change labor practices like these is to change the laws/rules govering the corporations that employ them.  Just reading this last sentence I've written I'm having another "duh" moment.

This sounds like the voice of an Apple cult hipster defending the company's practices as "FACT," and completely absolving the company of any responsibility, which completely validates my point that Apple's fanbase are partly to blame for the company's practices.   If their customers had real issues with Apple's practices, they'd change it in a hurry, laws or no laws.

If you think calling apple and their ilk "greedy souless beasts" equates defending their business practices then you have a serious reading comprehension problem.  But that's not surprising given what you gleaned from the article that started this tangent.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 11:10:59 am by chaz »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #906 on: January 26, 2012, 09:55:31 pm »
that's what apple wants you to believe
o/\o

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #907 on: January 27, 2012, 04:27:31 pm »
good talk.

so i'm looking to buy a used verizon iphone 4 on craigslist or ebay, and then turn around and sell the used iphone when I buy a new iphone 5 with my verizon upgrade.

questions:

(1)  has anyone here bought a used iphone?  recommendations beyond what I've found by googling (make sure to get a clean ESN/MEID, etc.)?
(2)  rather than get the 4, do you think the 4S would have a lower all-in "rental" cost (the delta between my current purchase cost / future sale proceeds when the 5 comes out)?

thanks!
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #908 on: January 27, 2012, 05:05:25 pm »
I've never purchased an iPhone.  Sorry, can't help. ;)

Your only worry with all CDMA phones is the ESN/MEID - doesn't matter which type of phone.  You may want to meet the person selling the phone at a Verizon store to make sure it's clean and can be moved to your account.

The 4S v 4 question, I really don't know about.  I tend not to sell my old phones but use them as wifi only devices in other parts of my place.  My bathroom, for example has Samsung Galaxy S with Google Music on it that streams my collection over my wifi when I shower.  Why not? Worth $100 to me, which is about what I would have gotten for resale on the phone. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 05:13:26 pm by vansmack »
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #909 on: January 27, 2012, 05:36:39 pm »
you have to have music playing while you shower?

good lord . . . now we know why the chinese are killing themselves.

stevewizzle

« Reply #910 on: January 27, 2012, 06:18:15 pm »
(1)  has anyone here bought a used iphone?  recommendations beyond what I've found by googling (make sure to get a clean ESN/MEID, etc.)?
(2)  rather than get the 4, do you think the 4S would have a lower all-in "rental" cost (the delta between my current purchase cost / future sale proceeds when the 5 comes out)?

thanks!

did something similar. the key is to sell it maybe 3 weeks before the new phone is released.  use a shitty flip phone or whatever you have as a spare in the meantime until you get your new shiny iphone.  it depends on the current prices you are seeing, but i imagine the 4 will still have a great resale value when the 5 comes out.  i had the 3gs, and sold it in "just okay" condition when i got my 4s.  would have gotten >$200 if i sold it 3 weeks prior (as i mentioned), ended up selling it for $140.

vansmack

« Reply #911 on: January 27, 2012, 06:35:14 pm »
you have to have music playing while you shower?

I believe you may be misread what I wrote.  No where does it say I have to, but I freely admit to enjoying music while I shower.  It drowns out the noises my guest is making.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #912 on: January 27, 2012, 09:28:29 pm »
oh . . . i just thought it sounded extreme.  as long as it blocks out people, then it's fine.

bearman🐻

« Reply #913 on: June 20, 2012, 05:47:15 pm »
Quick question. Does anyone know if iMessaging exists when you travel outside the country, for example, when you're using wifi in Canada? Or does any text you send cost $.25? Just wondering if any of you gurus have any experience with it. Many thanks.

vansmack

« Reply #914 on: June 20, 2012, 07:00:06 pm »
Quick question. Does anyone know if iMessaging exists when you travel outside the country, for example, when you're using wifi in Canada? Or does any text you send cost $.25? Just wondering if any of you gurus have any experience with it. Many thanks.

I haven't set it up it in a while (February, I think), but when I did I went to settings and turned OFF the option that asks "Send iMessage as text if iMessage not available" or something like that.  That will save you the $.25 charge, but do note that this solution will only work to other iPhones/iPads that use iMessage.

Unlike Google Voice, you won't be able send SMS texts to non Apple phones in America over wifi from overseas.  Just iMessages to other iPhones/iPads.

If you have a Google Voice number, you can use Google Voice for SMS (but not MMS) overseas on wifi and text any phone in the US.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:04:27 pm by vansmack »
27>34