Author Topic: Coachella roll call  (Read 5288 times)

amnesiac

Re: Coachella roll call
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 02:24:00 pm »
I definitely need to catch M83. I just picked up "Dead Cities..." Now I'm really regretting missing that Black Cat show.

jkeisenh

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 02:57:00 pm »
as much as i loved last year, i'm glad not to be going this year.  the lineup isn't as good, there are more bands playing that i've already seen, and i'm sure the crowd will be more, well, you know...  though i would have preferred this year's weather last year.  the heat really got in the way of my beer drinkin' habit.

grotty

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 04:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by white man from town:

Originally posted by The Artist Formerly Known As grotty:
   Tho the tents may be a little more comfortable
HA! if youre a chimp!!!! those saunas, i mean tents, didnt seem 1 degree cooler to me....they arent as hot maybe, but they are humid as all get out... [/b]
I meant more comfortable than last year.

The tents were near unbearable in that 100 degree heat. I squeezed a quart of sweat out of my shirt after the Black Keys set last year - the guy next to me during it looked like Frodo in Sin City his glasses were fogged up so thick from the humidity.

bearman🐻

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 04:40:00 pm »
I seriously doubt that it will even sell out this year...that being said, it will probably still be a good turnout. I'm looking forward to seeing the set times so I can figure out which bands I'll actually get to see.

amnesiac

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 04:47:00 pm »
Anyone know if Verizon phones get service in Indio?

distance

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by buddha:
don't have verizon, but i had service.
 however, at ACL, the lines were too busy for me to get a call out often.  it kind of sucked.

SalParadise

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2005, 05:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by buddha:
it's hit and miss, but my phone tended to work better than the non-verizon people i was with.

whatever you do, don't sign up for that Coachella text msg update thing. it doesn't tell you anything new that you don't know from having the little schedule, and it will eat into your battery life.

enjoy.

bearman🐻

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2005, 05:06:00 pm »
I agree with what Salparadise said. That was definitely the case last year.

dumpkopf

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 05:26:00 pm »
This is my first time and I am looking forward to it. Except for my 8 am flight out on monday.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2005, 07:36:00 pm »
Watch out for these guys!!!!

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=3249800

myuman

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2005, 08:06:00 pm »
Good luck folks... My words of advice... get out of there early.  Heard a lot of horror stories leaving.  I left midway through RH last year and still got lost between the polo grounds and the interstate.  Those of us staying home, HFS is a better lineup all the way around.  Maybe the smaller tent bands are better at Coachella, but ya don't fly across the country to see a half dozen at the most (you can't get around to nearly as many as you'd want or think you can) underground bands.  Maybe next year Coachella will do a little better than Coldplay and NIN... not that they are that bad... but headliners at Coachella?

alex

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 09:44:00 am »
I had Nextel for my phone last year and it worked fine, and the general rule of thumb is if Nextel works, most ANY phone is going to work.

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 09:52:00 am »
Originally posted by myuman:
  Good luck folks... My words of advice... get out of there early.  Heard a lot of horror stories leaving.  I left midway through RH last year and still got lost between the polo grounds and the interstate.  
Sataurday night was HELL getting out of there, but Sunday was fine.  Seems like every year something goes wrong there, and the next year or night, they fix it.  2003 was a HUGE line on Sat but none on Sunday, 2004 was a traffic jam getting out on Saturday, none on Sunday.  

I dont know what this years problem will be, but know this....you'll only have to go through it once.  :)
    I am totally jealous and angry that i am not going, and HFS's lineup doesnt even compare to this, whoever said that either fell and bumped thier head or like Echo and the Bunnymen WAY too much!

bearman🐻

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 10:55:00 am »
Obviously I love Echo, but Coachella is definitely the place to be  :)  I just found out I'm scheduled to interview Liam from Prodigy, ha! Should be interesting. I love his band's older stuff, never bothered with the last record. We'll see how it goes.

myuman

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2005, 04:57:00 pm »
My point is this.... you have to have a game plan at a major festival.  I think it was Coachella last year that had Trail of Dead on at the same time as Beck... and the only way to see beck was to find some way into the tent about a half hour ahead of time, which I believe screwed me for.. I forget now.    And then you have some good band playing that you've seen 20 times before (not the reason you travel 2500 miles).  So each day might bring around 4 bands that you are glad you saw because they were there and they are good, etc.  The rest is just repeats of half decent bands and new drivel you wish you'd be in the water line for instead.  The headliners are the driving force is my festival philosophy.  The other cool bands from bloc party to kaiser chiefs to British sea power... invest about $50 and see all three in the comforts of your own town (because they are touring, that's why they'd be at a festival like Coachella or hfs for that matter.)  So unless you are big into NIN.... Radiohead and Pixies was a rare event last year... so it was a must attend.     Of course this only speaks for the music.  Sunset views of San Jacinto Mt., Hollywood, San Diego, raising cane in the hotel... well those things are all worth the trip as well.  So enjoy.  And remember... it's not Glastonbury, which all events are humbled by.