Author Topic: Forum Business: A different take.  (Read 10494 times)

Shadrach

Forum Business: A different take.
« on: September 14, 2005, 02:16:00 pm »
A POSSIBLE VOICE OF REASON:

With the exception of a handful of people I've been visiting this board for far longer than most. I first started coming here during it's very early days when most of the posts were questions about 9:30 related business or general music topics. Over the years the board has evolved and now people discuss anything and everything, which I think is absolutley great.

The problem though, and the reason why I post so infrequently, is that people love to hide behind the anonimity of an internet identity. In general the rude and abusive people who attack the new people are small minded and insecure in real life and hide behind a false bravado when here. For thatguy to say don't post things you wouldn't say to someone's face in person is a given. 99% of the insults hurled here would never be acceptable or taken during a face to face interaction. And most of the people posting these insults either wouldn't have the balls to say those things in person or simply have better sense. So why do people do this here? I don't know, maybe they were picked on as children or their parents didn't show them enough attention or they're generally sad and lonely people looking to be recongnized for their witty comments.

My point is that no one here that has a reputation for being one of those abusive people is going to suddenly change. We're not going to see a kinder, gentler forum over night. Those people who have always been rude, aggressive, mean spirited, closed minded and selfish will continue to try and push people's buttons and bully the rest of the forum as long as others give them the attention they so desperately long for.

My suggestion: ignore them. If someone has something funny, interesting, provocative or constructive to add then by all means reply. But if they are just being mean for the sake of being mean then pay them no attention and move on. You will never be able to change these people by posting your well thought out argument when they are simply looking to get a reaction in the first place. Oh and when you see these forum members attacking a new visitor speak up and maybe give the newbie a welcome word or two. I don't think that is unreasonable.

The bottom line is that a Justin Timberlake or Blink-182 thread isn't going to send this forum plummeting towards the depths of pop culture phenomenon for more than that one or two threads. We're not going to be suddenly invaded and taken over by the Ashley Simson message forum if she decides to play at 9:30. Just like always those people will come and then leave once the show passes. The true music fans and 9:30 regulars will stick around the forum and continue to make this the fun and interesting place it can be at times.

Perhaps we should change the forum invitation from "Make Trouble" to "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all (to newbies)"

Just my thoughts.

Sir HC

Re: Forum Business: A different take.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:21:00 pm »
Eerie thing is that some of them *have* said these things to the others in person.  Still I agree.

Guiny

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:22:00 pm »
The second paragraph was well said or written, whatever people prefer.

muschi

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »
i'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside now, how bout u?

Guiny

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 02:26:00 pm »
You should probably see a doctor about that.

muschi

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 02:28:00 pm »
well i have been wondering if the last time i nailed the ex-gf [3x] i got something from her [she was oddly even better for some reason - wondered if she learned it elsewhere, hmmmmm]

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 02:34:00 pm »
I still don't see why we must equate this or any internet chatboard with real life.

Perhaps you folks who have been on this and every other internet board for the last 12 years have allowed the internet to take over your life, or let the internet bleed too much into your real life. Lighten up!!!

I mean, if some asshole is talking loudly on his cell phone an waving a cigarette at a show, at most I'm going to politely ask him to stop. Whereas if I were operating in the chatboard world, I would tell him he's an asshole for carrying a cell phone and a self hating douchebag for smoking cigarettes.

As far as the "abuse of newbies"...that's the way it goes in our society. People join fraternities, and they have to go around campus and do goofy shit. People who are rookies on sports teams get their heads shaved, or get put through other hazing rituals. People who have a new job usually have to do the shittiest work. People who listen to Good Charlotte get their bodies modified or dye their hair purple or some other stupid shit that will make them fit in with their trendy little crowd. People who join chatboards get a little hazing, just like they were breaking into any other community in the world.

ggw

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 02:39:00 pm »
When Rhett first joined the Government Beancounters Department, the old-timers hazed him by only allowing him to use an abacus.

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 02:41:00 pm »
Super joke! Can I have your permission to use that one at our office tea tomorrow morning?

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  When Rhett first joined the Government Beancounters Department, the old-timers hazed him by only allowing him to use an abacus.

Guiny

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 02:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
     As far as the "abuse of newbies"...that's the way it goes in our society. People join fraternities, and they have to go around campus and do goofy shit.  
College hazing is against the law.

Shadrach

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 02:46:00 pm »
  I still don't see why we must equate this or any internet chatboard with real life.

Perhaps you folks who have been on this and every other internet board for the last 12 years have allowed the internet to take over your life, or let the internet bleed too much into your real life. Lighten up!!!

I mean, if some asshole is talking loudly on his cell phone an waving a cigarette at a show, at most I'm going to politely ask him to stop. Whereas if I were operating in the chatboard world, I would tell him he's an asshole for carrying a cell phone and a self hating douchebag for smoking cigarettes.

As far as the "abuse of newbies"...that's the way it goes in our society. People join fraternities, and they have to go around campus and do goofy shit. People who are rookies on sports teams get their heads shaved, or get put through other hazing rituals. People who have a new job usually have to do the shittiest work. People who listen to Good Charlotte get their bodies modified or dye their hair purple or some other stupid shit that will make them fit in with their trendy little crowd. People who join chatboards get a little hazing, just like they were breaking into any other community in the world.
You make a valid point here. The difference, however, between the examples you made and this forum is huge. For one thing you expect those things in most of those situations. The biggest difference though is this; the 9:30 forum exists as an extension of the club itself and the club, as a buisness, is in the business of attracting new patrons and encouraging all types of people to come and enjoy live music. The key words here being "new" and "encourage".

godsshoeshine

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
god, i hate to agree with rhett (not very provocative), but if you take things on the internet too seriously, its time go to go outside. or do work or something
o/\o

Guiny

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »
Bingo........Meaning Shadrach's response.

muschi

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 02:49:00 pm »

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »
Can't argue with you on that one. However, do you really think the forum drums up all that much business for the 9:30 Club? I would think it's the bands that are drumming up the business. Or the advertising in the Post or City Paper. Surely many, many more people read the advertisements than bother to read/post on the internet board? But still, ultimately you are right. It's the 9:30's board, they can set the rules...it's a business, not a democracy.

Originally posted by Shadrach:

You make a valid point here. The difference, however, between the examples you made and this forum is huge. For one thing you expect those things in most of those situations. The biggest difference though is this; the 9:30 forum exists as an extension of the club itself and the club, as a buisness, is in the business of attracting new patrons and encouraging all types of people to come and enjoy live music. The key words here being "new" and "encourage". [/b]