Author Topic: M. Ward roll call  (Read 3448 times)

Vas Deferens

M. Ward roll call
« on: September 14, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »
Who's going? Do you think he can sell out the Birchmere??
(_|_)

bellenseb

Re: M. Ward roll call
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 12:47:00 pm »
Bought tickets there last night. Guy at the counter said it was half sold, but they get a lot of walkups for this type show. Thank god it's in the bandstand, so I don't have to eat their food to get a good seat.

Here's the thing

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 01:02:00 pm »
Should be a great show. Has anyone seen the opener, Oakley Hall, before?

snailhook

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
i'd be there if i weren't playing in charlottesville tomorrow night. don't miss oakley hall, they're terrific.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 01:40:00 pm »
I'm leaning toward going, at this point. I wasn't too crazy about the Oakley Hall songs on their myspace sight, but might see them based on snailhook's suggestion....if i get done eating somewhere else in time...thus avoiding Birchmere's overpriced food.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 01:40:00 pm »
Pretty certain I'll be at this, unless it sells out.

If you see an old guy with a blue ringer t-shirt, scruffy face, and sad look, that's me.

Sad because my wife went away for five days. Cheer me up by complimenting my shaggy mullet haircut and buying me a drink.

snailhook

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 02:07:00 pm »
i have the new oakley hall album, and though i liked it at first, it really grew on me and i'm really digging it. i saw them live once when they were just starting and it was ok, but i reckon they've improved vastly. the new record basically covers the ground between alt-country and pseudo-british psych-folk (i.e. fairport convention), but done exceptionally well.

weird loathing rhett, if you go, i'd like to hear your thoughts.

mrpee

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 02:41:00 pm »
I'll be there. I haven't listened to the Oakley record yet, but my interest is piqued anytime Mark Jenkins mentions the Silos in conjuction with a band, cuz I know how much he liked the Silos.

...from today's Post:  
 "Oakley Hall is not the first band to wonder what the Velvet Underground would have sounded like had Lou Reed grown up in a barn (see, for example, the Silos). This New York sextet features fiddle, banjo, steel guitar and two twangy female voices, yet its new "Gypsum Strings" is guided by the star of the Velvets' "Sister Ray." The interplay of Rachel Cox and Pat Sullivan's vocals highlight the low-noise "Living in Sin in the U.S.A.," but even the gentler songs are lashed by Sullivan's Reed-inspired guitar, and standouts such as "Confidence Man" demand comparison with the Velvets' surging classics. It's a comparison that doesn't favor Oakley Hall, of course, but the group's energy is primal even if its style is secondhand."

Chip Chanko

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »
I'll be there and will put in another oakley hall plug...got the promo for the album, had never heard of them, and actually added them to my ipod. Sound like late uncle tupelo crossed w/ early jayhawks among other things.

vassego

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 12:20:00 am »
Damn, Oakley Hall was really good. I got there late and only caught a few songs, but I was pretty impressed. The distorted fiddle in a country-esque twang was unique.

Anyone have the M. Ward setlist? That was incredible. My first time seeing him and I have to say that I will make every attempt to see him again...I'm still in shock.

shtee223

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 12:27:00 am »
yeah i got the setlist, but a lot was changed. "fuel for fire" was on the setlist, but he didnt play it. it was an amazing performance though. my friends and i waited outside for a little while after the show and m ward came out and signed the setlist and everything. i asked him about a future tour with conor oberst and jim james and he said it will happen eventually, but the other guys are recording at the moment so it hasnt been seriously planned yet.

vassego

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 01:04:00 am »
I was wondering if stuff had changed, because it looked like the band members were confused a few times after M. Ward talked to him. A signed setlist is a pretty bloody good souvenir. It would be cool to see he, Conor Oberst, and Jim James tour. Bright Eyes is great live, but I rarely listen to their records. And the two MMJ dates @ 9:30 is fantastic.

manimtired

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 10:29:00 am »
i was bored out of my mind and im a big fan..oh well.

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 12:52:00 pm »
I thought M. Ward was quite good. His album seems destined to be in my top 5 at years end. I think Richard Hawley may do the old-timey crooning schtick a little better, but Ward is quite the ace guitarist.

Oakley Hall were decent. I probably would have liked them better ten years ago. The reminded me of the Blood Oranges. The male singer may be the ugliest frontman I've ever seen.

The crowd seemed pretty youngish. A good example was the two teenage boys behind me rambling on about how great the Bright Eyes show, and how they'd like to hang out at club "where musicians would come just to hang out...Bowie would be in one corner smoking, Jack White would be in another corner."

smstakes

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
i thought it was a great show. his band was fantastic.