Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 266033 times)

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #465 on: April 15, 2019, 10:25:25 am »
Have to admit that last week's convo regarding 45s has made me reevaluate this particular hobby.

hutch

« Reply #466 on: April 15, 2019, 10:34:01 am »
All I am saying is there are plenty of copies of Aretha’s first Atlantic Record out there to be had for a buck or three....mono or stereo

When I find her original classic 45s for a buck or less I often get them...the sound on the original 45s is great...the best sound for those songs...but they don’t come with picture sleeves and they can be hard to find mint

Often new reissues of 45s from the glory days just aren’t of the same quality even if mint

hutch

« Reply #467 on: April 15, 2019, 06:39:26 pm »
could someone explain to me the attraction of a mono pressing?  isn't that a step down in terms of sonic experience?

Well a mono mix and a stereo mix are just different mixes...so you have to look at it on a case by case basis but I will say this regarding Blue Notes....the stereo mixes tend to have one instrument coming out entirely through one speaker and another through the other which makes it weird and unnatural...although the Blue Bote mono mixes after stereo started coming out are just fold downs of the stereo they sound more natural to me

In the case of most rock records til about 67 the band and producers and engineers and mixers tended to spend a lot of time on the mono mix while the stereo mix was seen as an afterthought so for example with Dylan or Beatles or Stones the mono mix is the one...some stereo mixes like the early Stones are fake stereo outright...

But it’s pretty complicated and generalizations are foolish

« Reply #468 on: April 16, 2019, 07:56:04 am »
But it’s pretty complicated and generalizations are foolish
sounds like a good description of Americans ;)
slack

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #469 on: April 16, 2019, 06:06:56 pm »
Was in Charleston, SC for the weekend. Did not go to RSD, but on Monday went to Record Stop in downtown Charleston. Saw a cool-looking Dream Syndicate reissue, and said something aloud about it and the owner of the store said "I saw Dream Syndicate open for REM a long time ago." I said "Me too, Where?" He said "Long Island." I said "good skates roller rink in Setauket" and he said "yes." Small world.  Anyway, I bought a regular copy of Ziggy Stardust, because I don't have it on vinyl, and Dyecraig's constant Bowie Instagram posts made me feel [EDIT] that I needed to have this.

Also, Bagley bought me the REM at Purple Narwhal.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 09:08:21 pm by challanged and calloused »

dyecraig

« Reply #470 on: April 16, 2019, 07:13:12 pm »
Anyway, I bought a regular copy of Ziggy Stardust, because I don't have it on vinyl, and Dyecraig's constant Bowie Instagram posts made me fell that I needed to have this.

Glad I could help you out.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #471 on: April 16, 2019, 09:07:56 pm »
Anyway, I bought a regular copy of Ziggy Stardust, because I don't have it on vinyl, and Dyecraig's constant Bowie Instagram posts made me fell that I needed to have this.

Glad I could help you out.

Its teamwork that makes the dreamwork.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #472 on: April 16, 2019, 09:16:54 pm »
Vinyl reissue of the soundtrack for the musical episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer for the first time in 15 years drops in June.
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2019, 04:37:51 pm »
LVMH

« Reply #474 on: April 19, 2019, 03:49:00 pm »
Hutch...please tell me you have this...
slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #475 on: April 20, 2019, 08:45:04 am »
Bagley bought me the REM at Purple Narwhal.

Impressive. I heard RSD was a disaster there. The record is a bit of a disaster as well.

hutch

« Reply #476 on: April 20, 2019, 09:06:05 am »
I held it in my hands but passed it on to a friend...

« Reply #477 on: August 06, 2019, 05:56:17 pm »
Mr Rogers literately cuts a record!

this line was precious "I guess that's why they call it a turntable, because it looks like a little round table and turns"
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 06:01:28 pm by least-racist-hatch ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #478 on: September 05, 2019, 07:51:17 pm »
they forgot to mention the hiss and pops:

<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #479 on: September 16, 2019, 06:56:00 pm »
<sig>