Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259586 times)

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #450 on: April 11, 2019, 07:57:55 am »
Anyone hitting Record Store Day?

I am going to try to find the Bob Dylan Blood on the tracks test pressing replica

Probably will stand in line for first time in years

I''ll be getting up early for it but do not expect to grab much. No. 1 on my list is the Aretha Franklin Box Set. This year's offerings are weak IMO.

hutch

« Reply #451 on: April 11, 2019, 08:07:58 am »
I am so glad I don’t get into 45s

Like in this case wouldn’t it be better to have a $1 copy of her first Atlantic lp in mono?

But then again I collect crazy stuff too so I get it

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #452 on: April 11, 2019, 08:28:12 am »
I am so glad I don’t get into 45s

Like in this case wouldn’t it be better to have a $1 copy of her first Atlantic lp in mono?

But then again I collect crazy stuff too so I get it

Certainly falls into the collector's item category. Very impractical for listening. You are smart for staying clear.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:54:08 am by Schulzenstein »

« Reply #453 on: April 11, 2019, 09:04:29 am »
in the jump the shark teritory
as if this format was already impractical for the modern era...in 2019 they decide to release a new vinyl format~!>?
can play 3-inch records only

Crosley has revealed that the RSD3 will come with a 3-inch vinyl record of Big Me by the Foo Fighters to get folks started on their micro-vinyl journey. Independent record labels will be releasing more 3-inch records throughout 2019, including Bad Religion's My Sanity, Ruby Soho from Rancid and Jack White's Love Interruption.
slack

dyecraig

« Reply #454 on: April 11, 2019, 09:22:41 am »
Anyone hitting Record Store Day?

I am going to try to find the Bob Dylan Blood on the tracks test pressing replica

Probably will stand in line for first time in years

Not thrilled with the list, but would like the new Tweedy, Insurgence DC, mono Saucerful, 1st Yes & Roxy remixes. Afternoon event at Mobius looks fun.

hutch

« Reply #455 on: April 13, 2019, 11:30:39 am »
I bought one item...the Dylan test pressing...spinning it now...it sounds fabulous

CD Cellar has to rent an extra cash register for RSD or something...took an hour to check out!

I had the Bardot, REM, Floyd in my hands but passed on them

I got to store at 740 and there where 30 people in line...I nabbed next to last Dylan...they could have sold 100 easy

I would have bought the Augustus Pablo but someoumust have beat me to it...same maybe with Dekker

But all I really wanted was the Dylan

Of course record has a slight warp but does not affect play...still I went on Amazon and bought another copy for $33 plus shipping...an essential lp...at the store I bought it for $23

Maybe last time I do RSD...just really needed the BOTT...my favorite album for many years...At the time one could only dream of a replica test press

Some people dropped huge bucks...a couple in front of me -seemed to be from a eastern or Central European country paid $430!!!!

I also bought a strange used lp called Silver Apples of the Moon by Morton Subotnick for $1

CD Cellar could probably stand to give some freebies out to people who stood in line for hours but bottom line is they keep their prices low....I bet some stores charged double for the Dylan (am looking at you Blue Groove)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:34:38 am by hutch »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #456 on: April 13, 2019, 01:21:52 pm »
Did anyone who queued up today see a trailer for a shitty movie for loser teens?
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #457 on: April 13, 2019, 02:02:37 pm »
Did anyone who queued up today see a trailer for a shitty movie for loser teens?

On brand (ie, asshole)

nkotb

« Reply #458 on: April 13, 2019, 02:59:32 pm »
In Julian's defense I'm sure a few people waiting in line probably watched it on their phone

On brand (ie, asshole)

hutch

« Reply #459 on: April 13, 2019, 03:41:49 pm »
There was phone watching....

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #460 on: April 14, 2019, 11:49:18 pm »
could someone explain to me the attraction of a mono pressing?  isn't that a step down in terms of sonic experience?
<sig>

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2019, 08:20:05 am »
CD Cellar could probably stand to give some freebies out to people who stood in line for hours but bottom line is they keep their prices low....I bet some stores charged double for the Dylan (am looking at you Blue Groove)

I got hooked with a couple freebies @ blue groove Saturday morning. Not sure if this was a common experience or if I lucked out.

hutch

« Reply #462 on: April 15, 2019, 08:27:51 am »
It’s pretty standard for the first 30-50 in line at most places...Blue Groove prices notwithstanding does the best job in terms of getting everything and getting the most copies...the store of course is tiny which can make shopping there challenging ...I live 5 blocks from there

Different stores will do different things...one year Som gave the first so many people in line like $50 gift certificates to the shop! I think Neal has soured a bit on RSD as have I....imagine the cash outlay the stores have to in advance...must be huge...

Did you get what you were after Schulz? I did not see the Aretha 45 set at CD Cellar but did see the Al Green

IMAmoose24

• 4 Stars out of 5
« Reply #463 on: April 15, 2019, 09:19:09 am »
Did you get what you were after Schulz? I did not see the Aretha 45 set at CD Cellar but did see the Al Green

Missed out on the final Aretha 45 @ blue groove. There were half a dozen or so Al Greens left there. The $200 sticker was too rich for my blood.

Decided to pick up a couple live records (Ramones NYE and Otis @ Monterey). Owner threw in Charlie Parker and Mark Ronson for free. Couldn't thank him enough.

hutch

« Reply #464 on: April 15, 2019, 09:31:25 am »
Wow...that’s awesome