Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259614 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

hutch

Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #286 on: January 30, 2017, 01:06:22 pm »
The Last of the Mohicans: Kemp Mill Music is Closing its Doors

I tend to think they were Kemp Mill only in the sense that they owned the trademark... I know the guy who was still working there from when he was running the one near Farragut West... sorry to read this....I don't know how this last store was doing but it seemed to me they never really got into the vinyl game and particularly the used vinyl game which is where the money is

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

bearman🐻

« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2017, 01:45:50 pm »
I sold a first printing of Dead Kennedies' Fresh Fruit album on eBay for something like $85 because it had the original photo on the back (of an old time band, which sued Cherry Red for using the photo without authorization). I'd say throw it up on eBay and see if you get some weirdo collector.

ok but that is totally different.. people pay up the nose all the time for the original original first first more original than the original pressing...

misapplied labels is just a faulty product...

but yeah.. if you want to sell it you put it up on ebay for like $49.95 and see if anybody bites on a buy it now...or if you are ambivalent about selling it then just put it up at a really high price like $149.99 and who knows.... of course you're a huge bob mould fan

the best place to get an idea might be on discogs.. just look there and see if there is any such variant listed..sometimes they have them

Thanks for the thoughts. I looked at Discogs, no previous trail of any being sold. I bought it for 20 bucks and it plays great...I was just curious because I'm trying to get a sense of how rare it is. I actually reached out to Chuck Dukowksi (I doubt I'll hear from him) but I figured he'd know the story or at least someone who worked at SST who has a back story.

bearman🐻

« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2017, 09:12:38 am »
Here's a random question. Does anyone know how to determine how rare a mis-print is? I found an 1980's copy of "Metal Circus" by Husker Du and was surprised that side 2 is actually side 4 of "Zen Arcade". Does anyone know how rare these are? The guy who did the in-depth Husker Du discography doesn't really know much about how rare they are, plus there isn't much online either. I was just curious if anyone on here might have any ideas of where I could get a better idea. Thanks!

that kind of thing adds no value to the record I have found..

is it rare? yes... probably very rare

it could even lessen the value..

I heard back from Chuck Dukowski. Super cool, super nice guy. Interestingly, he says it's very rare and in mint condition could be worth up to a few hundred. He has been doing auctions and he said prices/interest for vinyl has spiked tremendously. Prices just keep going up. The moral is just buy those bargains because you never know what you'll find.

bearman🐻

« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2017, 09:17:10 am »
The other lesson....check that vinyl on discogs, look at the runout and see what inscribed in the inner groove. On both sides. I was just checking to see if I could figure out what year mine was pressed (no barcode) so I knew it was old. But when I saw the second side, it became a mystery. (I realize most of you aren't this geeky...but it's a lot of fun to realize you've found something special at a bargain.)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2017, 09:53:17 am »
(I realize most of you aren't this geeky...but it's a lot of fun to realize you've found something special at a bargain.)
One of the high points of my life is finding a first edition, first printing of David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest with a reviewer's name misspelled on the book jacket in a Free Little Library Box. I know that's a book -- and not a book about music -- so no one will care, but trust me it's a big deal.
LVMH

bearman🐻

« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2017, 10:14:26 am »
(I realize most of you aren't this geeky...but it's a lot of fun to realize you've found something special at a bargain.)
One of the high points of my life is finding a first edition, first printing of David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest with a reviewer's name misspelled on the book jacket in a Free Little Library Box. I know that's a book -- and not a book about music -- so no one will care, but trust me it's a big deal.

No, I get it. To people who appreciate these things (whether it's books, LPs, art, etc.), it's very cool.

Yada

hutch

« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2017, 04:52:19 pm »

huh? I love first edition books and i search them out when i can

hutch

« Reply #295 on: February 18, 2017, 10:48:56 pm »
damn new vinyl prices are killing me.. i just can't do this.. $120 for Grateful Dead at Cornell..

https://www.amazon.com/Cornell-5-8-77-5LP/dp/B06W55WYFF/ref=pd_sim_15_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A8RDCGGYPFMPPF38ECDX

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #296 on: February 18, 2017, 10:49:57 pm »
Just wait for the $50 FLAC version. It'll sound sooooooo much better!

hutch

« Reply #297 on: February 18, 2017, 11:05:26 pm »
Just wait for the $50 FLAC version. It'll sound sooooooo much better!

I don't do FLAC.. I will never buy this.. I like the Dead a lot but....not $120 lot...i guess some day i'll find the 3cd set for a few bucks or something...that is the likely scenario i would say

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #298 on: February 18, 2017, 11:09:21 pm »
Isn't it on archive.org for free?

analogfossa

« Reply #299 on: March 10, 2017, 06:27:59 pm »
For fans of THe Numero Group's reissue work:
http://www.ticketfly.com/event/1446573-numero-factory-outlet-baltimore/

Pop-up shop tour