Author Topic: Vinyl isn't dead yet...  (Read 259604 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Vinyl isn't dead yet...
« Reply #315 on: September 22, 2017, 10:16:10 am »
I got made fun of last week for having an old iPod.
Smackie is just going through a tough time at work; don't take it personally.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #316 on: September 22, 2017, 11:51:48 am »

vansmack

« Reply #317 on: September 22, 2017, 12:58:00 pm »
I don't stream.

You will.

I purchase downloads or still buy LPs or CDs (and rip CDs...if LPs come with a download card, all the better). I got made fun of last week for having an old iPod.

The only reason to make fun of an old iPod is if it is redundant - like if you carry a cell phone that is not work prohibited.   Knowing bearman, he probably has a GI blackberry and uses the iPod for music listening.  If he has a secondary personal mobile device, well, that's grounds for being humorously told about the redundancy he has created for himself.   
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2017, 01:00:25 pm »

usb drive in the car is a great thing, however.

lolwut

Nothing wrong with that.  My ride's head unit has a 20gb hard drive and support for two SD cards.  This allows for FLAC versions of the best driving music Smackie can can find with no worries about storage space on my phone...
27>34

Yada

« Reply #319 on: September 22, 2017, 01:03:22 pm »

usb drive in the car is a great thing, however.

lolwut

Nothing wrong with that.  My ride's head unit has a 20gb hard drive and support for two SD cards.  This allows for FLAC versions of the best driving music Smackie can can find with no worries about storage space on my phone...

You must have the ears of a badger to tell the difference between FLAC and streaming direct from your phone via bluetooth.

vansmack

« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2017, 01:30:16 pm »
You must have the ears of a badger to tell the difference between FLAC and streaming direct from your phone via bluetooth.

You mean FLAC from a hard drive vs anything streaming from my phone over bluetooth, and you don't need to be a badger to tell the difference of local play vs streaming bluetooth.  The skips alone....
27>34

Yada

« Reply #321 on: September 22, 2017, 01:47:24 pm »

You mean FLAC from a hard drive vs anything streaming from my phone over bluetooth, and you don't need to be a badger to tell the difference of local play vs streaming bluetooth.  The skips alone....

Skips? I don't have skips when I stream from my phone through my hot rod's speakers.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2017, 04:35:48 pm »
I don't stream.

You will.

I purchase downloads or still buy LPs or CDs (and rip CDs...if LPs come with a download card, all the better). I got made fun of last week for having an old iPod.

The only reason to make fun of an old iPod is if it is redundant - like if you carry a cell phone that is not work prohibited.   Knowing bearman, he probably has a GI blackberry and uses the iPod for music listening.  If he has a secondary personal mobile device, well, that's grounds for being humorously told about the redundancy he has created for himself.   

I have an iphone but I use ipod shuffles in the gym. They're tiny and they weigh nothing; I just pin it to my shirt and press play, and I don't touch it again until I go back to the locker room. All my tunes and no distractions from a web-connected device.

Now if we could just get the kids to stop fucking texting between sets. "Hey, I need to use that machine." "I've got just one more set." EVERY FUCKING TIME!
😐 🎶

bearman🐻

« Reply #324 on: November 28, 2017, 01:32:51 pm »
I don't stream.

You will.

I pretty much only use Apple products. No blackberry for me. The reason why I don't like streaming is I think it's a waste of money because I wouldn't use it with the same frequency that others use it. I tried Spotify and Apple Music. It wasn't enough to compel me to become a regular user. I already own so much music and I've actually had artists thank me on my stance for my anti-streaming stance. I am simply the kind of music fan that is attached to the physical medium. I buy plenty of music as MP3s, but I still think that the actual owning of music is the ultimate way to show appreciation to an artist for the thought, energy, time, creativity, passion, and ultimately soul put into the final product. Maybe that's not the future, I'm OK with it.

« Reply #325 on: November 28, 2017, 01:57:07 pm »
Maybe that's not the future, I'm OK with it.
people got to move to the beat of their own drummer...so more power to ya
I'd imagine it's hard to be a musician in this streaming environment

but if you are in a band...tour and sell merch, that's how the money is made for small acts

I'm surprised how few acts have made it big with out lable support though.  I kinda thought we were cutting out the middleman in this new internet era and you could have access to anyband no matter the distribution

I really can't name any acts that have been able to just cut and run from the label world

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:58:46 pm by Brother Love Hatch🚀🚀🚀🚀 »
slack

bearman🐻

« Reply #326 on: November 28, 2017, 02:35:40 pm »
I really can't name any acts that have been able to just cut and run from the label world

Macklemore. That's one of the only ones I can think of.

ggw

« Reply #327 on: November 28, 2017, 02:45:38 pm »
Fugazi has a couple of multi-platinum albums.

bearman🐻

« Reply #328 on: November 28, 2017, 03:00:17 pm »
Fugazi has a couple of multi-platinum albums.

Dean Wareham singles out Fugazi/Ian in his book as an anomaly...that their business model works for them, but in reality it's not that realistic for most other bands. In a recent interview Dean talks about how ultimately Luna isn't making much money on selling music, but at least through avenues like Pledgemusic they can more easily record their music and recoup expenses, so it's not that they're losing money on it. Touring is apparently where they can still find a way to keep their career afloat.

evilizac

« Reply #329 on: November 28, 2017, 03:44:31 pm »

Macklemore. That's one of the only ones I can think of.
Speaking exclusively in the rap realm, isn't that a big part of Chance the Rapper's shtick? Being self-released, and up until now, not selling his releases.
WHAT?