Author Topic: The Beasties Fiasco: Questions  (Read 4420 times)

taylorjohnmark

The Beasties Fiasco: Questions
« on: June 18, 2004, 01:15:00 pm »
1) I've been to 9:30 Club more than 10 times, and this was the first non-smoking show (except for the dreary basement). Why?

2) Why did they only play 40 minutes?

3) Why was the staff so out of its freaking mind? I had a guy outdoors lecture me about what they'd do to me and my evil camera phone if they saw me use it. I wanted to just pat him on the back and tell him it would be OK.

4) Why was beer served in cups and not in bottles, as usual? Another 9:30 first for me.

5) Why have the Beasties forsaken instruments?

6) Why did they take such a late flight?

7) Why were ther 13 year old girls with braces walking around in CBGB shirts (I swear I must have seen 8 or 9 of those shirts).

8) Why was I patted down for this show and not for Wilco? Oh wait I know the answer to that one, scratch that.

9) Why did I feel like I was at a high school church lockin?

Random Citizen

Re: The Beasties Fiasco: Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 01:38:00 pm »
Non-smoking shows are done at the artist's request. PJ Harvey does this as well.

taylorjohnmark

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »
Ah, thanks. I was blaming in on the "radio station." And I'll remember that when PJ comes around too.

I also thought of another question: When did MCA stop trying? He was kind of pathetic to watch last night.

eltee

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 01:46:00 pm »
#4 can be scratched too. same as #8

taylorjohnmark

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 01:49:00 pm »
That's weird. We had bottles for the Cypress Hill show.

m_to_the_c

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 01:52:00 pm »
This was a promotional show. I bet they have some outdated contract that binds them to doing radio shows, otherwise, i cannot fathom why the same band that gave us the Tibetan Freedom Festival is doing weenie roasts all over the east coast.

And as far as why they took such a late flight, they are rock stars people. If I wrote Hello Nasty, I'd show up at the last minute, and have all the kids hanging on my last word.

The staff was doing their job. I bet the management had them prepped for whatever blitzkrieg could have happened, given such skewed supply and demand. I give them credit for not allowing me (at first) to bring beer to my friend.

I bought my CB's shirt when my band played there. Urban Outfitters has made a mockery of any kind of cred of making it in there. Now, if only I could work the same thing out with the Budokanâ?¦

saco

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 01:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by TheTaylor:
  1) I've been to 9:30 Club more than 10 times, and this was the first non-smoking show (except for the dreary basement). Why?

Artist request.  More and more artists are requesting this.  Your first time, but certainly not the first or last.

2) Why did they only play 40 minutes?

Good question. I cannot answer it however.

3) Why was the staff so out of its freaking mind? I had a guy outdoors lecture me about what they'd do to me and my evil camera phone if they saw me use it. I wanted to just pat him on the back and tell him it would be OK.

My apologies.   High profile shows like this are by definition more stressful than most everyday shows.  

First of all, we were under a strict camera policy.

Secondly: Scalping.

You yourself posted in the Wilco thread about scalpers.  
  Would you believe there are already jerks on eBay selling thier 9:30 Club tickets for Wilco at more than $100 a pair? That's pretty shitty if you ask me. I'm all for capitalism and all, but  come on guys. . .
The hoops you had to go thru outside were in place for several reasons, with the idea of detering scalping to the best of our abilities chief among them.  

4) Why was beer served in cups and not in bottles, as usual? Another 9:30 first for me.

This happens occassionally to deter the presence of dozens of bottles on the floor and possible broken ankles, etc.  

5) Why have the Beasties forsaken instruments?

See answer to question 2.

?  Cause they intended to make us all wait for 3 hours and then take a train instead. C'mon.

7) Why were ther 13 year old girls with braces walking around in CBGB shirts (I swear I must have seen 8 or 9 of those shirts).

See answers to questions 2 and 5.  

8) Why was I patted down for this show and not for Wilco? Oh wait I know the answer to that one, scratch that.

See answer to question 3.

9) Why did I feel like I was at a high school church lockin?

At the outset, see answer to question 3.  After the announcement about the delay, you were allowed to leave anytime you wanted, most people did leave and come back.

[/b]
OH, did you enjoy the free pizza?

taylorjohnmark

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 01:57:00 pm »
indeed. a nice touch!

Medusa

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 02:08:00 pm »

I wasn't at the gig last night, but I heard from someone who was that the reason they took a late flight (from N.Y.C. apparently) was that there was bad weather and the flight had to be/was delayed.

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

mankie

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 02:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Silk:
  #4 can be scratched too. same as #8
I'm surprised anyone in attendance was old enough to purchase beer.

I bet rules 4 and 8 were enforced based on behaviour at other BB shows, and for no other reason.

Guiny

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 02:14:00 pm »

I'm no dentist, but I believe the braces are to straighten their teeth.   :roll:

eltee

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
they took the train (the reason is for what you state Medusa).
Originally posted by Medusa:

I wasn't at the gig last night, but I heard from someone who was that the reason they took a late flight (from N.Y.C. apparently) was that there was bad weather and the flight had to be/was delayed.

Cheers

DJ Medusa. [/b]

taylorjohnmark

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2004, 02:28:00 pm »
yes --I guess what I meant by that question was, if you have an 8:30 show, why take a late afternoon flight instead of one earlier in the day?

I mean Hell, get to D.C. a little earlier, hit Ben's Chili Bowl for dinner, head over to Capital Hill to speak to congress about Tibet, check out the Monuments. . . there's all sorts of ways to spend your afternoon in D.C.

Especially if the sage weathermen are calling for storms.

m1

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2004, 02:37:00 pm »
  yes --I guess what I meant by that question was, if you have an 8:30 show, why take a late afternoon flight instead of one earlier in the day?

I mean Hell, get to D.C. a little earlier, hit Ben's Chili Bowl for dinner, head over to Capital Hill to speak to congress about Tibet, check out the Monuments. . . there's all sorts of ways to spend your afternoon in D.C.

Especially if the sage weathermen are calling for storms.
are you on your period or are you always this bitchy & structured  :eek:  ? Hail Hilter Hail Hilter

thirsty moore

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2004, 02:39:00 pm »
What does Hilter[sic] have anything to do with complaints?

Originally posted by m1:
 are you on your period or are you always this bitchy & structured   :eek:   ? Hail Hilter Hail Hilter