Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2630900 times)

azaghal1981

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #825 on: February 21, 2009, 07:57:09 pm »
Someone on Brooklyn Vegan also reported a Bjork sighting.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #826 on: February 21, 2009, 08:27:15 pm »
jimmy eat world
drug rug at dc9
trail of dead at rnr hotel
(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #827 on: February 21, 2009, 11:47:48 pm »
what the fuck joe, is this like a drunken post? c'mon man, you gotta fess up on yo ass or somesing. trai; of dead is looking mo and mo attratrive like cos their album is good  yo. but still wtf
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #828 on: February 22, 2009, 03:15:09 pm »
The banter on thursday didn't bother me at all. In fact, I thought most of it was entertaining. A little on the insane rambling guy with too much time on his hands side but amusing nonetheless.

azag: if it's any consolation, ixkpd-bk had to hang with me before and after the show.  almost as bad as a DBT train wreck :)

As amazing as just about everyone who saw the DC show said it was. Beautiful, powerful performance. Sound was perfect. String arrangements were excellent. An all around awesome and fantastic performance.

what azaghal (and ixkpd-bk, and many others) said.  wow.

I agree, that was tremendous. Perfect sound quality, great venue, the band sounded unbelievable. REALLY impressed with how they arranged the violins, cellos and various other instruments. And that voice! It's even more amazing live than it is on record. From a purely musical perspective, it was one of the best shows I've seen in years. Every song was epic, he really is a musical giant, and it was close to perfect.

The only negative, and god hell what a negative, was that stage banter. Holy shit Antony, you're going to seriously cripple this magical musical vibe you got going with that 6th-grade-schoolgirl schtick of "I just... umm..... well, y'know.... why don't we just be women.... and like... y'know... I'm sorry" It was so painful, and when he kept interupting the song to further blather on incoherently, I was dying.

what relaxer said, including about the awkward banter.  he pulled out an old t-shirt and a painted tile from a purple purse (!) and said that he was going to give them away, sorta like door prizes.  first there was an awkward moment as he figured out how to award the prizes, then he started disparaging the two prizes and said that no one really wants them, that they were trash, even though lamers in the crowd obviously wanted them.  if they are trash, why did you bring it up?  so embarrassing. 

although he did tell the funniest joke i've heard all week: "so they polled all 50 states to see which on they wanted to fall in to the ocean.  49 states voted for new york, and one voted for new jersey" :D :D :D

Night 2 we saw Bjork, Isabella Rosselini, St. Vincent, Willem Dafoe, Joan Wasser, and one of those great fashion designer guys that I don't know the name of. Maybe Marc Jacobs or something, but he looked like shit. Oh, and Ilan from Top Chef was there.

now you're making shit up.  bjork was NOT there, you would have told me!
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #829 on: February 22, 2009, 03:19:25 pm »
what the fuck joe, is this like a drunken post? c'mon man, you gotta fess up on yo ass or somesing. trai; of dead is looking mo and mo attratrive like cos their album is good  yo. but still wtf

just wanted to capture the above before relaxer self-censors himself.

you're welcome, buddy.
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #830 on: February 22, 2009, 04:51:01 pm »
I'm considering TOD only becuase I've been slouching on shows in 2009, but I've gotta disagree about the new one.  I'm still snoring from it.  Man, what a fall...

azaghal1981

« Reply #831 on: February 22, 2009, 04:56:37 pm »
Screw TOD.

Witch/Earthless!
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #832 on: February 22, 2009, 04:58:10 pm »
Ahh yeah, same night. I think I'll go with the Earthless show, not familiar with Witch at all.

Screw TOD.

Witch/Earthless!

(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #833 on: February 22, 2009, 05:54:30 pm »
Kick-ass stoner rock with J Mascis on drums.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #834 on: February 22, 2009, 08:25:37 pm »
Yeah, Joe totally reminded me of this.  Think that will be my pic.

Screw TOD.

Witch/Earthless!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #835 on: February 22, 2009, 08:27:57 pm »
3% chance you'll make it ;)

Screw TOD.

Witch/Earthless!

(_|_)

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #836 on: February 23, 2009, 03:18:47 am »
This week:

Tom Jones @ 930 - Wed.
Juana Molina @ Le Poisson Rouge (early) - Fri.
...Trail of the Dead/Pains of Being Pure at Heart @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (late) - Fri.
Grizzly Bear / Final Fantasy @ Brookyn Academy of Music - Sat.
Woof.

nkotb

« Reply #837 on: February 23, 2009, 12:31:15 pm »
Touche.  I just bought tickets to ensure I go.  Eat that  ;D

3% chance you'll make it ;)

Screw TOD.

Witch/Earthless!

killsaly

« Reply #838 on: February 23, 2009, 06:06:27 pm »
Thursday - Tokyo Police Club (BC)
Saturday - Tim Fite (BC) (when is he going to play a headlining area show?)

walkonby

« Reply #839 on: February 23, 2009, 06:10:04 pm »
is it just me . . . or shouldn't blitzen trapper be sold out by now? for 13 dollars?  if they played the club, somehow i think they would of by now.  or maybe not that many people like them.