Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2631271 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1155 on: May 13, 2009, 10:52:57 am »
One of the best so far this year!  I loved all the people who danced with her, esp. the tall guy who looked like Napoleon Dynamite and the dimpled guy acting all innocent (not the guy with the shaved head). Great times!

Sharon Jones and her merry band of soulsters torn the house down last night!
(_|_)

BookerT

« Reply #1156 on: May 14, 2009, 04:32:53 pm »
thermals were pretty good. 'cept i got stuck standing behind this super-tall dude. i always think the guitar could be louder when they play, but i guess that's their choice to keep it kinda low. the new songs are not quite as good as the old ones, but they still play plenty of old ones. good 1993 covers, too.

killsaly

« Reply #1157 on: May 14, 2009, 09:29:33 pm »
mc chris at dc9 on Sunday and Prodigy on Monday. 

Staralfur25

« Reply #1158 on: May 15, 2009, 03:31:07 am »
dan deacon...worth it or not?
i know nothing about his music, but i'm off on sunday. 

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1159 on: May 18, 2009, 09:25:52 am »
Monday: Springsteen
Tuesday: Edie Sedgwick/Olivia and the Mates @ Black Cat Backstage

« Reply #1160 on: May 18, 2009, 09:42:14 am »
Elvis Perkins Tues Iota

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1161 on: May 18, 2009, 10:52:30 am »
did you decide to go?  tell me what you thought :)

dan deacon...worth it or not?
i know nothing about his music, but i'm off on sunday. 

(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1162 on: May 18, 2009, 11:14:48 am »
Tue May 19 - Tortured Soul, Highline Ballroom, NYC
W 20 May - St Vincent, Webster Hall, New York NY (maybe)
Thu 5/21 - WHITE RABBITS, Bowery Ballroom, NYC

on saturday night i had the extreme pleasure of hearing A Zero Complex, a band from philadelphia.  they were shockingly good - progressive power-pop?  dunno what label to attach to them, but they had nicely crafted songs that rocked.  i haven't been that impressed by an unknown band in a long long time.  do keep your eyes out for these guys, although i'm uncertain how far they travel.

(edit: there are some streaming songs on their website, http://www.azerocomplex.com/, which were recorded a year and a half ago... they don't do the band justice, they've obviously improved a lot since)
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1163 on: May 18, 2009, 12:00:11 pm »
Thurs: White Rabbits @ bowery
fri: Holy Fuck/A Place to Bury Strangers/The Morning After Girls @ Music Hall of W'burg

cant wait for friday nights show since i just learned TMAG will be opening. Im hoping all the bands play together on "Lovely Allen". This is just too awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWUyjRVpLkM

The Radio Dept. were excellent on Saturday night. A shame the set was pretty short, but they sounded amazing. Eux Autres sounded better on album, but were fun nonetheless. And it seemed everyone loved A Secret History - they were good, but if I never heard their cover of "Reel Around the Fountain" again, Id be quite happy. Also one of the guys in the band seemed to think it was a comedy show and tried to tell a joke between every song, which got annoying super quickly esp because he was so _not_ funny. The first band, computer perfection, stood out the most for me. Fun, catchy, indie pop that had the very small crowd dancing.

And Suburban Kids playing with Pants Yell was pretty awesome. I loved the guys reading the lyrics off a piece of paper attempting to get through the songs.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 04:58:13 pm by xneverwherex »
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1164 on: May 19, 2009, 09:46:14 am »
liechtenstein/lorelei
st. vincent
juan maclean
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 10:22:43 am by Hello Sunshine Marshmallow! »
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1165 on: May 19, 2009, 10:16:17 am »
Liechtenstein
Earthride/Wino->Juan/Field
National
احمد

eltee

« Reply #1166 on: May 19, 2009, 01:15:28 pm »
Toad the Wet Sprocket and eddie from ohio Thursday at Nat'l Harbor concert series (that's right and it's going to be great out by the water w/ great weather! There is  also at a free show in Va. Beach tomorrow at Neptune's. Friday in Fredericksburg at Celebrate Virginia Central Park. Make fun if you want, gotta have an outdoor festival outlet around here...esp. w/Belmont tanked and the prices are better than the Trap)

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #1167 on: May 19, 2009, 02:49:06 pm »
Tomorrow - St. Vincent @ Webster Hall
Thursday - White Rabbits @ Bowery
Saturday - Juan Maclean / The Field @ Black Cat

Popfest was AWESOME. I loved the Radio Dept.'s set at Don Hill's. They played for about 45 minutes, and the guy next to me was taping it, so hopefully they'll have a bootleg. If I never heard the shitty Finnish band that came after them's cover of "I Don't Like Mondays", I'd be a-okay.

Sweetcell, come see St. Vincent with me!!!!!
Woof.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1168 on: May 19, 2009, 03:07:21 pm »
Sweetcell, come see St. Vincent with me!!!!!

thinking about it... why won't you be at tortured soul tonight?  get your white funk on!
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #1169 on: May 19, 2009, 06:10:30 pm »
Maybe The Points instead of Liechtenstein.

Still debating...
احمد