Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2655940 times)

hutch

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #4515 on: October 31, 2012, 10:11:30 am »
the Clarendon yuppies who pay to get into Iota for a place to hang out and talk, rather than seeing the band.

this is easily the worst true stereotype of a dc crowd seeing a show.

everytype of people do this everywhere in everytown for anyshow.  get away from the home nest more, and stop blaming the town/types of people.  they all suck at what they do.

I think it depends on the venue.  IOTA definitely looks/feels like an "after work hangout bar", where the 9:30, Black Cat, etc., really feel more like music venues-- and so the crowd tends to act accordingly. Sure, we've all been to plenty of shows at the Cat or 9:30 where people in the audience were talking, but they tend to segregate more, so the talkers end up in the back, vs. IOTA where it can be almost impossible to hear the band unless you're right up under the stage.  (Exception: Bowerbirds at the Black Cat earlier this year, where the yakking was so bad I almost left early.)

But no, IOTA is certainly not the only venue with this problem, nor is Clarendon the only neighborhood where people wander in to a bar after work on a Friday and talk loudly over the band.

people can talk a lot at the 930 by the side of the stage right bar (the one with the food)...that has always been the case so lets not let the 930 crowd off the hook..this goes way back.. I remember a Yo La Tengo show in the late 90s where the glass clinking and talking during their set was real disturbing..

killsaly

« Reply #4516 on: October 31, 2012, 11:25:00 am »
If I feel up to it I will go to Windup tonight for Witch Hat, Microkingdom, Whoarfrost, Beyond Say and Les Rhinoceros.

hutch

« Reply #4517 on: October 31, 2012, 11:29:39 am »
I'd like to see the Metermen at the Howard but it will be a gametime decision.. its on 11-2

Chris Isaak at the Warner is also a possibility..

I'd like to see CHris Robinson Band at the State on election night but I'll be home watching the returns come in..

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #4518 on: November 01, 2012, 12:05:47 pm »
11/2 - St Etienne @ The Fillmore (SF)

For those of you (Sweets/Lily1?) that saw them - how was the show? Is their set fairly long? So tired of seeing bands with so much material who can barely eke out an hour.
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4519 on: November 01, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »
Saint Etienne played from 8:40 thru 10 pm.

Great show, but you'd wanna be close...the volume was quite low.
(_|_)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #4520 on: November 01, 2012, 12:39:06 pm »
thanks for the heads up! ill make sure to get there early so I can be up front.

Saint Etienne played from 8:40 thru 10 pm.

Great show, but you'd wanna be close...the volume was quite low.
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4521 on: November 01, 2012, 04:12:14 pm »
i had a lot of fun at st. etienne.  show was not low volume, at least not if you were out in front of the PA.  if you were up against the stage at USMH, the PA was directly above you - so it didn't hit you directly.  from where i was standing, 15 feet back, it was plenty loud.  and the bass was WAY TOO HIGH for the genre of music they were playing.  this isn't dubstep or moombathon.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4522 on: November 01, 2012, 05:30:40 pm »
^ was referring to the volume of the vocals (forgot to mention that).
(_|_)

Yada

« Reply #4523 on: November 01, 2012, 10:09:35 pm »
Metermen tomorrow night.

I'm assuming no opener and showtime at 8pm?

azaghal1981

« Reply #4524 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:54 pm »
Doing a friend's standup comedy thing instead of the Comet show tomorrow. Haven't been to a standup gig since Sarah Silverman at the club. Looking forward to it.

On a side note, does anyone else think it's about time for moombahton to go away forever yet?
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4525 on: November 02, 2012, 01:25:00 am »
On a side note, does anyone else think it's about time for moombahton to go away forever yet?

it, and dubstep, can go jump in front of a train.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #4526 on: November 02, 2012, 01:40:55 am »
Shame what the word dubstep has turned into. Guys like Kode9, Burial and Distance put out some of the more interesting/innovative/fresh sounding music of the last decade and most people only know the genre for the garbage that came way after.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #4527 on: November 03, 2012, 11:20:15 am »
Loved the Meter Men last night... Zigaboo and Porter are probably my favorite rhythm section.. that shit is tight... definitely a bucket list show.. for those that don't know Art Neville was not with them on keys and instead Page McConnel of Phish played with them on the four night tour

Most of the people there came to see Page I think but he knew he was the luckiest guy there and he talked about it..

Got there about 8:18 and they were on... advertised as 8 pm show... i think they'd just started.... the first sent went on til somewhere around 9:30.. then they took a long break.. kind of like a Phish show i guess. and came back on probably past 10 and played til close to midnight.. it was a long show..there was the GO VOTE, the  tribute to the Howard and how glad they were to be playing it as they never had before and all the history yada yada, a Romney diss, etc..

Highlights were two or three Meters instrumentals ffrom the first album (Cissy Strut? I never can keep them straight) which they jammed out to 12 or more minute versions... ended first set with Africa which went on forever and ever... it was "that shit is sick" version... second set was less my bag but a very nice Hey Pocky Way and they ended the second set with a great It Ain't no use which also went on for about 15 minutes introduced by Leo Nocentelli soloing for about 2-3 minutes.... they then took a real short break..shook hands with crowd, George Porter thanked the crowd.. and they played one more tune which Im' forgetting title (from Rejuvenation which is my favortie album and I think they played five tracks from that)...

.had to drive home and boy were there a lot of drunk kids driving around Golden Triangle on Rhode Island/Conn Ave... sad.

one for the record books and i'm glad i made it out.. oh one thing about Howard.. on the $$35 ticket i bought at door they tacked on $7.50 in charges... talk about bullshit.. why say ts $35 if you can't ever buy it for less... beer prices at howard are almost standard bar prices so thats nice.

lily1

« Reply #4528 on: November 03, 2012, 08:18:31 pm »
11/2 - St Etienne @ The Fillmore (SF)

For those of you (Sweets/Lily1?) that saw them - how was the show? Is their set fairly long? So tired of seeing bands with so much material who can barely eke out an hour.

how was the show in san fran? i had a great time in dc. it was like one giant gay disco and i spent 90 minutes dancing with my new friends. i had no sound issues from where i was.

lily1

« Reply #4529 on: November 03, 2012, 08:20:56 pm »
anyone else going to ben gibbard on thursday?

i was going to see bebel gilberto tomorrow night until it got postponed.