Author Topic: Show Conflict: Liars/No Age vs. Gibby  (Read 4282 times)

nkotb

Show Conflict: Liars/No Age vs. Gibby
« on: January 14, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »
Today is slow at work, so as I updated my show calendar, I noticed a pretty big (for me anyway) conflict:  on February 12, the Club is hosting Liars & No Age, while the RNR Hotel has Gibby Haynes playing Butthole Surfer songs with little kids.

Normally, the Gibby show would trump all; I'd put the Surfers in my top 10 bands list, and I haven't seen them in years.  I figure that the show would be a greatest hits-like show, which definitely psyches me up.  Still, I could see this being a bit novelty and not really living up to my expectations.

On the other hand, I haven't seen Liars in a while, and though I've seen them a ton in the past, I'd be pretty pumped to hear the new album live.  And the No Age album is one of my favorites from this past year, and I have yet to see them live.

What do you think?  I'm leaving my decision open to your input, since I'm a little stuck.  Any conceiveable way of catching both?

Relaxer

Re: Show Conflict: Liars/No Age vs. Gibby
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »
I spent an hour debating this same exact issue this weekend. Complicating it is that I saw the Liars a year or two ago and it was terrible (Drums Not Dead tour).

But I like the No Age album, and I think it would be a good show. And I really like some of Liars new album too.

But Gibby! Playing Sweat Loaf (Satan! Satan! Satan!) with a bunch of children. It could be transcendently sublime or it could be a complete mess.

I'm leaning toward the School of Rock show, simply because it seems like this might be a one-time show, whereas No Age and Liars will be back soon, most likely.
oword

tigersscareme

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »
i don't see a conflict....gibby & little kids all the way.

but i'm very (very) anti- liars

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »
I don't think Liars will be back. I mean, don't they live in Europe now?
(_|_)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »
We had a retarded janitor in high school named Gibby. All the kids made fun of him. I wonder if your Gibby and the kids show would somehow be similiar?

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »
In an odd way, I'd hope the show is like your retarded janitor.

I agree with you all...it's Gibby all the way.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  We had a retarded janitor in high school named Gibby. All the kids made fun of him. I wonder if your Gibby and the kids show would somehow be similiar?

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »
My Gibby could was also a member of the volunteer fire department, he could be found atop one of the trucks during every parade.

Except the parade day he had to work. One time my marching band friends and I decided to do a little drinking before a Memorial Dayparade so as to march drunk in the parade. I brought my unfinished beer into school and hid it under my band hat, atop a desk. Some fool accidentally knocked my had of the desk, breaking the bottle, and spilling my beer in my hat and on the floor. Gibby was called in for the cleanup, and promptly told my band instructor about the mischief. My band instructor didn't report it to the principal, but after that, I never received another "A" in band, whereas before, that's all I ever received. The next day, there I was pictured in the newspaper, marching in the front row, drunk and out of step with the rest of the band.

May Gibby be burning in the depths of hell at this moment.

Originally posted by nkotb:

[/b]

Relaxer

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  I don't think Liars will be back. I mean, don't they live in Europe now?
Oh right, I forgot that Europeans never come to the US.

Just joshin' dude! But c'mon, how could you possibly say that you don't think they'll be back? I'll bet they play at least one more show in the DC metro area in 2008 if not a couple more.
oword

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

[/b]
man that new ween album kicks ass!  it took four to ten listens to, but it ranks right up there now.  

i don't like dar; it sounds bad, there's no place to park, it's hard to get there, i can't stand, the beer, the wait, the bathrooms, the colour of the seats, the stage is too high, the box seats are too low, the ceiling is strange looking, it's like nissan . . . . . . . .

Relaxer

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:50:00 am »
Originally posted by walkonby:

[/b]
man that new ween album kicks ass!  it took four to ten listens to, but it ranks right up there now.  

i don't like dar; it sounds bad, there's no place to park, it's hard to get there, i can't stand, the beer, the wait, the bathrooms, the colour of the seats, the stage is too high, the box seats are too low, the ceiling is strange looking, it's like nissan . . . . . . . . [/b]
Looks like Rhett's janitor has internet access
oword

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 11:54:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:

Originally posted by walkonby:

[/b]

i don't like dar; it sounds bad, there's no place to park, it's hard to get there, i can't stand, the beer, the wait, the bathrooms, the colour of the seats, the stage is too high, the box seats are too low, the ceiling is strange looking, it's like nissan . . . . . . . . [/b]
Looks like Rhett's janitor has internet access [/b]
you've tried and tried, but you can't stop, you're thirty-five, still pushing a mop . . .

azaghal1981

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »
Wow it sounds like you've done a 180 on the ween album. The first listen or two, I did like a few of the tracks a good bit but lost interest quickly. I haven't warmed up to it again at all since. Oh and what does ween have to do with this thread?

I'll be at Liars/No Age.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 01:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
 [QB] Wow it sounds like you've done a 180 on the ween album. The first listen or two, I did like a few of the tracks a good bit but lost interest quickly. I haven't warmed up to it again at all since. Oh and what does ween have to do with this thread?

it's a nkotb connection.  like, duh.  and the fact that everyone hates dar . . . like nissan.

SPARX

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »
You can't go wrong with Gibby

nkotb

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 04:24:00 pm »
And I won't.  Already bought my ticket.

As for the latest Ween, I still think it's their weakest album, but I've definitely enjoyed it more than I did originally.  There are a few songs I could do without, but the highlights are pretty good, I think.

Originally posted by SPARX:
  You can't go wrong with Gibby