Author Topic: Zombies roll call  (Read 9271 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Zombies roll call
« on: September 22, 2006, 07:54:00 am »
Anyone going Sunday?  5 bands is a few to many for me.....may try to get there early enough for the Fleshtones and Mooney Suzuki though.

bearman🐻

Re: Zombies roll call
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 09:28:00 am »
I really want to...but those Sunday night shows are killers for me (I know, I'm gettin' old). Anyone have a guess as to what time the Zombies would go on?

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 09:33:00 am »
We'll be at the Millenium Stage show Sunday at the very unrockandroll time of 6 pm.

This show is sponsored by WARW classic rock 94.7. The funny thing is they keep talking about Little Steven and The Zombies, and never even hint at that there are a number of other bands on the bill. The dj also referred to the Zombies as "intellectual rock", which I thought was pretty funny. I reckon it's intellectual if Styx and Aerosmith are your points of reference.

bearman🐻

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:21:00 am »
Sorry...I looked on the Kennedy Center web site and wasn't sure what show you're referring to...who is playing on Sunday at the Millennium Stage?

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 11:24:00 am »
Cibelle

http://www.myspace.com/cibelleblackbird

Brazilian singer Cibelle was just a five-year-old child in São Paulo when she told her mother she wanted to start taking guitar lessons. Her mother agreed, and Cibelle moved around from instrument to instrument, trying her hand at the piano, percussion, and voice. As a teenager she was more interested in acting, appearing in commercials and promotional spots on MTV Brazil, but eventually realized that singing was her true passion and started performing at jam sessions around the city. It was at one of these sessions that she met the then-unknown Yugoslavian DJ Suba, who performed his version of synth-heavy samba for the crowd. Cibelle was intrigued by his interpretation of Brazilian music and, at a friend's urging, got up on-stage to sing with him. Suba was so impressed that he invited her to come to his home recording studio to work on an album, what would later become the seminal São Paulo Confessions. Though the producer died tragically shortly after the record's release, Cibelle continued on, appearing on guitarist and singer/songwriter Celso Fonseca's 2003 album, Natural, and releasing her own self-titled debut album on Six Degrees/Ziriguiboom. She followed up in 2004 with her EP About a Girl, and two years later Shine of Dried Electric Leaves, which featured duets with Seu Jorge and Devendra Banhart, came out.

Originally posted by bearman:
  Sorry...I looked on the Kennedy Center web site and wasn't sure what show you're referring to...who is playing on Sunday at the Millennium Stage?

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 11:26:00 am »
Hmmmm...that sounds very cool. Thanks for the heads up, I might try to check that out if I don't do the Zombies.

alex

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 08:02:00 pm »
I'm going to the Zombies show.  Hopefully since there are so many bands on the bill, the openers do no more than 20-30 minute sets.  The Zombies are the only band I care to see...though the Woggles and Five Masaratis are always fun.

anarchist

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 11:44:00 pm »
if there are 5 bands for the zombies show, what time does the first band go on?

Bags

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 12:43:00 am »
Originally posted by Alex:
 Hopefully since there are so many bands on the bill, the openers do no more than 20-30 minute sets.
NOOOOOOO

You're crazy, man.  I'm there for the Fleshtones first, then Mooney.  I want good sets from them!!!

I'll probably leave before the Zombies comne on.  Saw them recently at State Theater.  Yeah, it was good, but enough for me.  I'd rather get home at a more reasonable time on a Sunday night.

chaz

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  if there are 5 bands for the zombies show, what time does the first band go on?
Doors are at 8:00 so i'm assuming 8:30.

bearman🐻

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 09:56:00 am »
Did anyone go? How was it?

chaz

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 10:50:00 am »
A lot less people there than I thought.  I got there half way through the Fleshtones set and they did their typical play guitar on the bar and run through the crowd Fleshtones set.  Mooney Suzuki did their thing....predictable but fun.  A little too loud.  And I didn't think the sound was too good overall last night, though I know 5 bands is a big job.  Overall though I just don't really dig the sound at the black cat sometimes...it's ok if you're dead center and back just a bit from the stage, but it's a very narrow sweet spot.  The side mains just always seem way to bright for me.

So the Zombies...well...a very mixed bag.  Thing is, they've got so many great songs, and when they stay true to them it's just great.  Colin has still got a great voice and the guitar player is adequate when they keep him reigned in.  But too much of the time it goes off into Rod Argent Oddessy territory with these drawn out keyboard solos.  And the one big spotlight moment they gave the guitar player was very very bad.  Just this big awful long guitar solo thrown into some song.  It might have been "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" (which Rod carefully explained was a big hit for Argent in Europe befor Kiss took it to the States).

Highlights were:

Indidcation
 A Rose for Emily
 Care of Cell 44
 This Could be our Year
 Just Out of Reach (the high point for me)

Some of their other 'hits' were too self indulgent I thought.  And Colin is such a wierd guy...so so twee and just strange.  Can't even explain it.

I don't think they were as good as when I saw them with Love a few years back, but that just might be because of the serious high I was on after witnessing such a great set from Arthur and company....

Good to see them play a few great great songs in a pretty small club, but I wouldn't go back.

Bags

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 11:46:00 am »
Here's my take.  First off, it was damn sad that the place was less than half full.  But, it was a Sunday.  Still, I would have thought Mooney Suzuki could get closer to filling the place on their own.

I got there a few minutes before The Fleshtones went on.  The club was decked out with movies and vintage concert footage screened on the walls on either side of the stage; a big red & white (or yellow) striped curtan in front of the stage (that they closed between bands to do set up); a step down stage in front of the main stage so the band could come down closer to the crowd (though Fleshtones and Mooney each went into the crowd anyway).  And Go-Go girls dancing the entire time between sets.  It was an efficient program -- only 15 minutes between bands.  I thought it was great fun to have the place all decked out.  It definitely added a vibe.  Alas, with the small audience, there was a certain lack of energy.

The Fleshtones went on at 9:50 and did about a 30 minute set, and yeah, all the same stuff -- which is great.  I love that band, and always have a fun time watching them.

Mooney Suzuki came on at 10:30 and played 45 minutes.  I can't believe I've never seen them before -- really fun set.  The lead singer REALLY needs a new haircut, but the lead guitarist rips it and is great fun to watch.  They went well on a bill with the Fleshtones -- Mooney was a little harder to the Fleshtones surf vibe, but both are great, classic rock 'n' roll.  

Both bands were hanging out in the audience later, and each said to me excitedly, "have you seen the Zombies before?"  

Well, I have, and so wasn't really looking forward to it.  In fact, I might have left but my friends were in to it.  They're okay, kind of mellow and hippy in comparison to the rest of the bill.  And that Colin, he is one freaky bird.  With this odd smile all the time.  Like Senor Carlos, I'd seen them with Love about a year ago, and Love just smoked them.  Pretty much the same thing last night.  I left after an hour (12:30), have no idea how much more they played.  

Apparently we're getting two more underground shows coming through town.  I missed the dates and the bands, but sounded like The Chesterfield Kings in late October...  If there are more of these shows, I highly recommend them.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 11:59:00 am »
well i was worn out the max after v fest otherwise i would have gone...

but I'm all over the Chesterfield Kings hopefully they be with the Romantics who they have played with in the past.  an appearence by other Underground Garage favs The Shazam would be awesome as well...
T.Rex

chaz

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »
It's actually the Chesterfield Kings and The NY Dolls on the same night in November and The Romantics playing with Shadows of Knight in October.  If I understood correctly...