Author Topic: Paul Weller  (Read 24019 times)

bearman🐻

Paul Weller
« on: January 08, 2003, 10:42:00 am »
Coming to the 9:30, Wednesday, 2/19. I wonder what this will be like?  I really love the Jam, was never a huge fan of the Style Council.  Never got any of Weller's solo stuff, but have heard bits and pieces and have enjoyed the little I have heard.  Anyone have any info if it's him with a band?

lily1

Re: Paul Weller
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 11:26:00 am »
yippee! and ladytron/simian 2 days prior!  

ggw

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2003, 11:31:00 am »
I think he generally tours with a full band.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.paulweller.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.paulweller.com[/url] <P>I think I would prefer to see him sitting on a stool with just a guitar and a mic.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
From Paul's new US label... At least his talented drummer from the Style Council will be onboard with the guys from Ocean Colour Scene.  I would love to see the setlist for this show.  <P>And it would be great to see him do the solo acoustic thing.  "Extras" was a great colletion of Jam demoes etc....<P>PAUL WELLER US TOUR DATES ANNOUNCED <P> Acclaimed songwriter Paul Weller will kick off his U.S. tour February 6 in San Diego; it's his first stateside full-band tour in nearly six years. Performing with a six-piece band including Steve White (drums), Ocean Colour Scene??s Steve Cradock (guitar) and Damon Minchella (bass), Weller is performing material from his new album, ??Illumination.?? In addition, he'll be playing several Jam and Style Council songs for the first time ever with a full band.<P>In recent U.K. dates Weller has been at the top of his form, with London??s Daily Mail noting that Weller ??dug deep into his gritty rhythm and blues roots, sounding more raucous than he has in years.? <P>Weller??s new album, ??Illumination,?? has recieved raves as ??his best work in ages? (The Guardian), and is set for US release January 14 on Yep Roc records. The expanded US release will include three UK B-sides and a bonus DVD with videos for the first two UK singles ("It's Written In The Stars" and "Leafy Mysteries"), along with  three live tracks (videos) from Weller's July 2002 concert in London??s Hyde Park, where he performed before a 22,000-plus capacity crowd. <BR>More dates to come, but these are confirmed!<P>U.S. Dates as of December 18, 2002<P>Thur-Feb-06 - San Diego - Spreckels Theatre<BR>Fri-Feb-07 - Los Angeles - Wiltern Theatre<BR>Sat-Feb-08 - San Francisco - Warfield<BR>Tue-Feb-11 - Denver - Paramount Theatre<BR>Sat-Feb-15 - Chicago - Vic Theatre<BR>Mon-Feb-17 - Toronto - Massey Hall<BR>Tue-Feb-18 - Detroit - State THeatre<BR>Wed-Feb-19 - Washington DC - 9.30 Club<BR>Additional Dates TBC - Check <A HREF="http://yeproc.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://yeproc.com/[/url]  for updates. Related Links:  <A HREF="http://www.yeproc.com" TARGET=_blank>www.yeproc.com[/url]  <BR>
T.Rex

jadetree

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2003, 12:22:00 pm »
be nice if the guys from Ocean Colour Scene would open

lily1

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2003, 12:26:00 pm »
very nice indeed.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B>be nice if the guys from Ocean Colour Scene would open</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

MissKitty

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2003, 01:13:00 pm »
i'd go for the drummer alone<P>he could drum for england.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2003, 01:57:00 pm »
Miss Kitty Welcome back!!!!!<P>i'm totally into this show, with Weller returning to his r & b roots.  garage and northern soul are my things these days.
T.Rex

ggw

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2003, 02:03:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kosmo:<BR><B>  garage and northern soul are my things these days.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What exactly is Northern Soul?<P>According to a web page I found:<P>"By 1970 the Detroit Sound had moved on to the psychedelic soul of the Temptations and the Undisputed Truth, but in some clubs in England, time was standing still. <P>The disc jockeys at the Twisted Wheel All-Nighter in Manchester were seeking out the Motown records which never made it.  <P>Due to it's geographical base in the North of England, this phenomenon became known as Northern Soul.<P>It would forever change the lives of tens of thousands of people in the United Kingdom."<P>The site goes on to imply that Northern Soul morphed into the mod scene.<P>Is this the same as your definition?  <P>Who are some Northern Soul bands?

Jaguär

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2003, 02:11:00 pm »
Basically, it's turned into the bands from Northern England that are hip but tend to have a bit of Old English Folk sounds laced into them. Doves, Elbow, I Am Kloot are some of the bands, to name a few. It's basically the Manc and beyond bands who sing from the heart. The Rain Band have elements of Northern Sould as well as many of the other Manchester bands you've heard. I've found they often do like to incorporate some of the American sounds within their own native sounds creating their own style, hence Northern Soul.<P>Elbow use to be much more of a Funk band before they found their personal style. Those of you who were at Doves last show saw a logo on the backdrop that was round with a fist that said "Doves Soul". This was a direct reference to Northern Soul. <p>[This message has been edited by Jaguär (edited 01-08-2003).]

Fico

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2003, 02:16:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaguär:<BR><B>Basically, it's turned into the bands from Northern England that are hip but tend to have a bit of Old English Folk sounds laced into them. Doves, Elbow, I Am Kloot are some of the bands, to name a few. It's basically the Manc and beyond bands who sing from the heart. The Rain Band have elements of Northern Sould as well as many of the other Manchester bands you've heard. I've found they often do like to incorporate some of the American sounds within their own native sounds creating their own style, hence Northern Soul.<P>[This message has been edited by Jaguär (edited 01-08-2003).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>How could you forget the Verve??<P>

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2003, 02:20:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fico:<BR><B> How could you forget the Verve??<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My brain doesn't feel like functioning today that's why I qualified my statement with something about other bands. Thank you Fico. You are right, as well as some of the sounds of Oasis and The Charlatans.<P>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2003, 02:21:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jaguär:<BR><B>Basically, it's turned into the bands from Northern England that are hip but tend to have a bit of Old English Folk sounds laced into them. Doves, Elbow, I Am Kloot are some of the bands, to name a few. It's basically the Manc and beyond bands who sing from the heart. The Rain Band have elements of Northern Sould as well as many of the other Manchester bands you've heard. I've found they often do like to incorporate some of the American sounds within their own native sounds creating their own style, hence Northern Soul.<P>[This message has been edited by Jaguär (edited 01-08-2003).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>actually northern soul is more a sound verses a genre, and most followers of northern soul would turn their noises up at these bands.  it was a movement started in the early 70's where the music was primarily 60's soul records<BR>
T.Rex

cappuccino_kid

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2003, 02:27:00 pm »
Does anyone know when the tickets for Paul Weller will be on sale?

Jaguär

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2003, 02:29:00 pm »
These are the very bands that my friends from Northern England refer to as being Northern Soul. <P>I can easily get a list from them for you...