Author Topic: My Bloody Valentine news  (Read 2804 times)

HoyaSaxa03

My Bloody Valentine news
« on: January 15, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »
http://74.52.66.98:9014/article/news/40473

Kevin Shields: MBV Will "100%" Make Another Album

Kevin Shields has revealed, in an interview published in the January/February issue of Magnet Magazine, that he intends to record another full-length with My Bloody Valentine. It would be the shoegaze overlords' first album since 1991's classic Loveless.

"I do feel that I will make another great record," Shields told the publication. "We are 100% going to make another My Bloody Valentine record unless we die or something. I'd feel really bad if I didn't make another record. Like, shit, people only got the first two chapters, but the last bit is the best bit. It's just that it's taken me such an oddly long time for that to happen." Wait. Better than Loveless? Kev, we know good for press and everything, but holy crap, dude, what are you saying?

Given Shields' recent remix and solo work for Sofia Coppola films and Go! Team singles, the guy has a lot to prove-- although there's no question the album would certainly be one of the most highly anticipated releases of... whatever year it eventually comes out. As for what year that might be, Shields was hesitant to give any kind of timeframe. (Actually, the answer was, "I don't know," so let's just take this with a grain of salt altogether.) But Shields did have this to say, in defense of the band's inability, thus far, to follow their magnum opus:

"A lot of people say the reason My Bloody Valentine didn't make another record is because we couldn't. That's mostly true, but not because we couldn't make another record, but because I never could be bothered to make another record unless I was really excited by it. And just by fate or whatever, that never happened. I'm quite optimistic about the future, even though experience has taught me that I'm probably just delusional."
(o|o)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: My Bloody Valentine news
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 05:02:00 pm »
what's up with that scary URL?
_\|/_

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »
hopefully this will make you feel more comfy: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/40473

same thing, previously he was using pitchforkmedia.com's IP address (saves you a  DNS lookup).  

maybe pitchfork is expecting to change their domain name again, so they're issuing permalinks with the IP address of their server?!?
<sig>

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »
sorry, i linked to it through an RSS feed that scrolls at the bottom of my browser, for some reason it directs to the IP address
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »
dollars to donuts that this album will sound solid, but be WAY overhyped and never live up to expectations
(o|o)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Don't hold your breath. My Shoegazer buddies and I were discussing this not long ago. He won't,  just like he .... well.... all the other things he claimed he'd do but didn't. The best you will probably get is him sitting in with some band or a song for another film or something. Or like my friend got. One night after a gig in London that my friend put on, Kevin just happened to attend and hung out with them after the show when he decided to play guitar for them on the steps. A totally inpromptu private thing. Lucky bastards!

In the meantime, if you are looking to add to your MBV fix, just get the CD by Fleeting Joys called "Despondent Transponder". Very good and very MBVish. Except, the damned thing is completely sold out already. I think you can still get it on iTunes though. Rorika told me they will probably rerelease it sometime with bonus tracks. Probably my favorite full length of 2006.

BookerT

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »
i heard MBV and neutral milk hotel are going to tour together in late 2007.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »
I'm perfectly happy with my copies of "Isn't Anything", "Feed Me With Your Kiss" EP, "You Made Me Realize" EP, and of course "Loveless". That being said, I think Kevin Shields is a musical genius. I recently have been going back and listening to stuff like "Several Girls Galore" and "I Can See It (But I Can't Feel It)" and it bums me out that not much I hear today gives me chills or raises the hairs on my neck in that way. Maybe I need to try harder.

Jaguar

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 06:04:00 pm »
Bearman, try The Daysleepers. They should raise a few hairs.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so who knows if they'll ACTUALLY get together, but the random little solo things he was putting out (and by random I mean Lost In Translation) were SO excellent.  Totally different than MBV and who knows if they'd even buy into the same sound now, but...well...okay that would be nice.

anarchist

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 10:07:00 pm »
if they toured and only did their old material i would be very happy.

bearman🐻

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 11:14:00 pm »
I remember back in the day knowing folks that saw their show in Chicago at the Metro and they said it was not very good and it was tough for them to reproduce all the stuff from "Loveless". I think Kevin Shields took live drums and sampled them to get all those sounds. Still, imagine if they reunited and did Coachella.

Daysleepers eh? OK, I'll check 'em out. Kind of like the Autolux approach too. Thanks!

Mobius

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 11:48:00 pm »
I think the last sentence of of that article says it all.  The new MBV release will come out the same time I start making it to the gym before work.

I look at Shoot Speed Kill LIght off Primal Scream's XTERMNATR as a coda for MBV, although its not an MBV song.  Kevin Shileds produced it but  I have no idea how much he's actually responsible for.  But its a fantastic raging against the dying of the light when the moment is passed, the relationships gone, the and the drugs don't work (or just work less consistently) - even if that's not at all the point.  

Shields work on Lost in Translation seem like inocuous but pleasant embers of a dying fire.

The remix of Fools Rush In the Marie Antoinette seemed rather awkward and unnecessary on the first few listens, but I've learned to like/respect it.  The clarity of the vocal against the wash of guitars and low budget drum track didn't make sense at first, but after a few listens its kind of nice - the music and lyrics appear to share the same sort of simple idealism and the fuzz serves to burn the lyrics into your  brain.

I certainly think Kevin Shields can (and obviously should) focus on reuniting the band for a tour a la the Pixies.  I never saw MBV live, but I know that Shield's goal was often more on creating an aural assault than properly presenting the songs.  Like the Pixies, he could benefit from a renewed perspective and a feeling of not needing to prove anything and just go out and kill.

Jaguar

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 04:10:00 am »
Kind of weird how my cyberlife often blends together.

Here's an article written by one of my friends involved in the same conversation mentioned above. It's from the local magazine he writes for and was inspired by said convo which was actually sparked by the Magnet article.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 07:30:00 am »
Hmm, I quite like the Fools Rush In remix actually.  I love the juxtaposition of the crisp vocals with the whirlwind-esque back track...kind of makes me feel like I was spinning in circles too much and am now dizzy.  You just can't hold his other work to the same standard you would a My Bloody Valentine track.  But all in all, I think anything MBV puts out or at least Kevin Shields will be great at pulling you in and engulfing you into the song.