Author Topic: is doing this for a living worth your $25?  (Read 28101 times)

Jaguär

Re: is doing this for a living worth your $25?
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2003, 12:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by da'niceguys:
  i like the idea of a VIP membership to access tickets early as well as some other special features, but having been a former ticket agent i know that every ticket broker would also take advantage of this. Even if it was only to buy four or five premium shows a year it would still be worth it for them to sign up.

Yes, I too have been considering that brokers and scalpers would be scamming a lot of tickets and how to get around that. Also, ways of working with rewarding after show attendance without some counterfiter faking proof of attendance. So far, the closest I can come up with aligning it to the actual fan in attendace is to:

1. Receive a registered membership card through the club that contains specific ID info. May take a week or so to process.

2. Use some sort of scanning device like they have in grocery stores for club cards to check off attendance.

3. Show ID in order to have it scanned so friends aren't racking up false points for members.

I have no idea how expensive this sort of system would cost making it even worth the expense or how much maintaince is needed to keep it going.

Whether the card is free and rewarded afterwards or purchased with benifits is a whole other issue but it could have it's advantages. Or it could just turn out to be just one big pain in the ass.

markie

« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2003, 12:28:00 pm »
So GGW, Bloomberg is a bad example then because he is self made....

But he still bought that election which is still egregious. If he was so smart and clever he wouldnt have needed to have spent so much more money than his competitor? Probably not.

sonickteam2

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2003, 12:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Andrew WK:
  so mankie, you bring up two points. the first is a fallacy in my opinion, but then I have a couple of degrees, but I have common sense too.

The second of your points is more valid. But still almost all american kids get to college. So I guess that makes it a much less exclusive club than oil barrons or media giants.

Free education would be the best step.... I guess thats why I come from a working class background, yet have an education.
hold up! almost ALL kids get to college?  Thats the silliest thing I have heard in a while.  Even if it IS more than 50% (which i am not even sure about), its certainly not almost all. And one college certainly isnt the same as the next. (compare MIT to UMBC) and are we counting Comm. College and Tech Schools?

I may be from Canada , but America sure seems to define elitism to me.  

and what about Bovacracy...rule by cows.

markie

« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2003, 12:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
 you didn't demonstrate very much common sense when you went out in public in that body hugging lurex Ferrari little number!   :D  

I see Michael did the job on Sunday by the way...most of the lads from here went up to Montreal for it. I'd like to see Ralph replace Barichello on the team personally.
I like my Ferrari T, thankyou very  much.

Michael was superb on Sunday..... He has won 4 races this year. He is the master.

Ralf is too good to waste his time as his brothers lackie. I used to think the same about Reubens, but these days he is really shit. He should be shown the door.

keithstg

« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2003, 12:33:00 pm »
[/qb][/QUOTE]Wealth does not make you intelligent. It does however buy you the publicity that it takes to win an election. (how much did the current NY mayor spend on his campaign)

Personally I would like to live in a meritocracy. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Bad example. Bloomberg (a JHU graudate) built his wealth by creating a product that people in his old industry couldn't live without, and providing great customer service. He built it all himself.

Oops - should read entire thread before posting. carry on.

markie

« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2003, 12:34:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

[qb] hold up! almost ALL kids get to college?  Thats the silliest thing I have heard in a while.  Even if it IS more than 50% (which i am not even sure about), its certainly not almost all. [/b]
I was told it was near 80%, sorry if I am so far wrong. The smartest kids can get scholarships too, can they not?

markie

« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2003, 12:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by keithstg:

Bad example. Bloomberg (a JHU graudate) built his wealth by creating a product that people in his old industry couldn't live without, and providing great customer service. He built it all himself.
yeah I already admitted that...... GGW got me good already. I didnt know that he was self made.

sonickteam2

« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2003, 12:36:00 pm »

[qb] hold up! almost ALL kids get to college?  Thats the silliest thing I have heard in a while.  Even if it IS more than 50% (which i am not even sure about), its certainly not almost all. [/b]
I was told it was near 80%, sorry if I am so far wrong. The smartest kids can get scholarships too, can they not? [/b]
Can , perhaps, but I dont know if you went to an inner city school, but they dont normally teach well enough to prepare anyone for college. But maybe those are just those 20% we can forget about!

ggw

« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2003, 12:36:00 pm »
  So GGW, Bloomberg is a bad example then because he is self made....

But he still bought that election which is still egregious. If he was so smart and clever he wouldnt have needed to have spent so much more money than his competitor? Probably not.
Alternatively, he obviated the need for taking money from interest groups and was willing to commit his own resources to the campaign.  Better to be indebted to yourself than to the interests of others.

Celeste

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2003, 12:40:00 pm »
 ...one college certainly isnt the same as the next. (compare MIT to UMBC) and are we counting Comm. College and Tech Schools?
one thing that over-educated, guilt-ridden DC liberals forget is that there's nothing wrong with someone going to a community college or tech school and that such educations provide many folk with solid middle-class lifestyles...do we really need more academics? we need people who know how to DO things

sonickteam2

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2003, 12:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

...one college certainly isnt the same as the next. (compare MIT to UMBC) and are we counting Comm. College and Tech Schools?
one thing that over-educated, guilt-ridden DC liberals forget is that there's nothing wrong with someone going to a community college or tech school and that such educations provide many folk with solid middle-class lifestyles...do we really need more academics? we need people who know how to DO things [/b]
thanks!!! I am a tech school grad myself, but i wouldnt say "i went to college" to anyone  :)

Venerable Bede

« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2003, 12:44:00 pm »

and what about Bovacracy...rule by cows.
i see someone watches the daily show.
OU812

Venerable Bede

« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2003, 12:45:00 pm »
 one thing that over-educated, guilt-ridden DC liberals forget is that there's nothing wrong with someone going to a community college or tech school and that such educations provide many folk with solid middle-class lifestyles...do we really need more academics? we need people who know how to DO things
why do people who live in dc have to be guilt-ridden liberals?  i have no guilt, course, i have no heart either.   :)
OU812

ggw

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2003, 12:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

why do people who live in dc have to be guilt-ridden liberals?  i have no guilt, course, i have no heart either.    :)  [/b]
It's only the liberals who are guilt-ridden.  If I recall correctly, you are not a liberal.

Celeste

« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2003, 12:47:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  why do people who live in dc have to be guilt-ridden liberals?  i have no guilt, course, i have no heart either.    :)  
maybe you're not over-educated...and I seem to remember you not being very liberal either  ;)