Author Topic: is doing this for a living worth your $25?  (Read 28100 times)

markie

Re: is doing this for a living worth your $25?
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2003, 12:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Celeste:

Originally posted by ggw:
  Yes, we should be ruled by the poor.  They're not bright or resourceful enough to get a decent job, but let's put them in charge of leading the country.
GGW makes a bit of a point with this snide comment, though, don't y'all think? [/b]
No, not all. How easily smoke screened you are.

Just because you are poor does not stop you being intelligent or having good ideas. Celeste, what kind of a fucker are you?

Lamb007

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2003, 12:03:00 pm »
My suggestion:

Simply do away with the VIP section in its current incarnation (i.e. A&R losers who chat on their cells through the whole show) and make access available on a per show basis, sold the same way you do access to the parking lot.  First Come First Served.

Or offer an annual subscription package that provides access but does not include tickets.

The current "VIP area" in front of the balcony bar is a primo location that is currently squandered on people who don't care diddly poo about what's happening on stage.

I don't know how to properly institute a "reward" system because some people (like me) will pay to see acts I have only a casual interest in while some other loyal patrons have to pick and choose when they come.

markie

« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2003, 12:03:00 pm »
mer·i·toc·ra·cy    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (mr-tkr-s)
 n. pl. mer·i·toc·ra·cies

1.   A system in which advancement is based on individual ability or achievement.
 a.   A group of leaders or officeholders selected on the basis of individual ability or achievement.
 b.   Leadership by such a group.

meritocracy

n 1: a form of social system in which power goes to those with superior intellects 2: the belief that rulers should be chosen for their superior abilities and not because of their wealth or birth

mankie

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2003, 12:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Andrew WK:

Celeste, what kind of a fucker are you?

[/b]
She's the kind of fucker who's bad-ass husband will spit in your face if you call her names.

markie

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2003, 12:06:00 pm »
Uh oh......

not spit, I bet it will have (tobacco) 'baccie in it too...... ick.

da'niceguys

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2003, 12:10:00 pm »
i like the idea of a VIP membership to access tickets early as well as some other special features, but having been a former ticket agent i know that every ticket broker would also take advantage of this. Even if it was only to buy four or five premium shows a year it would still be worth it for them to sign up.

this quote...
 "but I find the whole "VIP" concept offensive. I want the 930 to be "equal access entertainment""

...blew me away

this is a club owner looking out for the everyday guy. I had to give some props for that.

Really as much as some of the new ideas intrique me and i am a fan of change, for the sake of good. The thing that makes 930 the best is that, it is first come first serve, best live music venue in North America.  I think they might have even have gotten an award for that before.

So don't change

mankie

« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2003, 12:12:00 pm »
 n. pl. mer·i·toc·ra·cies

1.   A system in which advancement is based on individual ability or achievement.
 a.   A group of leaders or officeholders selected on the basis of individual ability or achievement.

meritocracy

n 1: a form of social system in which power goes to those with superior intellects 2: the belief that rulers should be chosen for their superior abilities and not because of their wealth or birth
The problem with meritocracy is the wallies with superior intellect are usually unable to tie their own shoelaces....just because you can calculate the square route of 84759837549257 in your head doesn't mean you have the common sense to govern a country.

Not only that.... "A system in which advancement is based on individual ability or achievement"....would normally mean the college pukes, and you need lorry loads of money to go to college, so aren't we back to a plutocraty?

vansmack

« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2003, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Lamb007:

Simply do away with the VIP section in its current incarnation (i.e. A&R losers who chat on their cells through the whole show) and make access available on a per show basis, sold the same way you do access to the parking lot.  First Come First Served.

The current "VIP area" in front of the balcony bar is a primo location that is currently squandered on people who don't care diddly poo about what's happening on stage.  
Sorry man, but that's the business.  If Seth takes care of them, they'll take care of him when the next big "thing" is in town.  But it is a good model to work with.

Seth's point about a 9:30 Fan Club sort of begs the question and I appreciate him thinking of taking care of us nonetheless:  We all love the club, we are constant visitors and he still wants to take care of us (as opposed to most club owners who would rather try to figure out how to bring in more people to the club).  

Just him thinking about us makes me think that there is more to this club than just seeing live bands.  Perhaps a model like the upstairs bar for regulars is something to consider, but he surely isn't going to alienate his record execs.  Is there room for two sections up there?  The VIP for the Vines (off to the side) wasn't a bad gig either - although letting the radio stations grant access does nothing for us regulars.   Interesting dillema.
27>34

ggw

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2003, 12:16:00 pm »
 n. pl. mer·i·toc·ra·cies

meritocracy

Like it or not, wealth is a pretty good indicator of superior intellect, ability and achievement.  Not perfect, but pretty good.  

The current mayor of New York made his billions by seeing a need for an advanced fixed income analytics system, designing and building that system and gradually transforming it into an advanced analytical system for all financial instruments.

Read his biography.  He gained his wealth by being the first guy in the office each morning, working harder than the other guys, and by being resourceful.  More power to him.

Celeste

« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

n. pl. mer·i·toc·ra·cies

meritocracy

The problem with meritocracy is the wallies with superior intellect are usually unable to tie their own shoelaces....just because you can calculate the square route of 84759837549257 in your head doesn't mean you have the common sense to govern a country.

Not only that.... "A system in which advancement is based on individual ability or achievement"....would normally mean the college pukes, and you need lorry loads of money to go to college, so aren't we back to a plutocraty? [/b]
You don't need THAT much money to go to college in the U.S. There are plenty of community colleges and state universities, and you can always get loans to go wherever the hell you can get into (I did) and, don't they let you into college for free in Europe if you keep up your grades?

That being said, I don't think college grads have the corner on intelligence, necessarily...nor do I think that poor people cannot have intelligent thoughts or ideas, I only was saying that GGW's point is valid to an extent.

I think that, for the most part, in America, if one is willing to work hard and play by the rules (yes, of capitalism), they can do OK, except for a few bad-luck cases. These bad-luck cases (and even the just too lazy or bad to do anything useful for society cases) are usually provided for by social programs.

So, what's the problem again?

ggw

« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2003, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Have you ever noticed that you only see Mensa stickers on '74 Gremlins, '71 Pintos, or '79 Chevettes?

markie

« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2003, 12:20:00 pm »
so mankie, you bring up two points. the first is a fallacy in my opinion, but then I have a couple of degrees, but I have common sense too.

The second of your points is more valid. But still almost all american kids get to college. So I guess that makes it a much less exclusive club than oil barrons or media giants.

Free education would be the best step.... I guess thats why I come from a working class background, yet have an education.

mankie

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2003, 12:20:00 pm »
What about the richest bloke in the world...clever as shit too! Do you vote for Gates because he's a bright spark, or not vote for him because he's rich....a mark...er, Andrew dilema for sure.

Bags

« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2003, 12:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by Lamb007:
 [qb]
  The VIP for the Vines (off to the side) wasn't a bad gig either - although letting the radio stations grant access does nothing for us regulars.   Interesting dillema. [/b]
Oh man, ain't that the truth.  As an avid 9:30 club goer, I don't listen to any of the local radio stations.  They don't play my music, so why would I?  Blech, what a thought.

I'm more and more skeptical of what could be done to make the club better.....

mankie

« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2003, 12:25:00 pm »

so mankie, you bring up two points. the first is a fallacy in my opinion, but then I have a couple of degrees, but I have common sense too.

you didn't demonstrate very much common sense when you went out in public in that body hugging lurex Ferrari little number!  :D  

I see Michael did the job on Sunday by the way...most of the lads from here went up to Montreal for it. I'd like to see Ralph replace Barichello on the team personally.