Author Topic: Songs in Commercials  (Read 6244 times)

ChampionshipVinyl

Songs in Commercials
« on: September 23, 2005, 07:45:00 pm »
Does anyone know what the song in the Sears commercial advertising their fall clothing line is?

bearman🐻

Re: Songs in Commercials
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 08:16:00 pm »
I don't know, but I just saw a commercial tonight for something (I can't remember what, sorry) and it totally sounded like Grandaddy. Does anyone know which commercial that is, and if it is indeed Grandaddy?

amnesiac

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 08:20:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I don't know, but I just saw a commercial tonight for something (I can't remember what, sorry) and it totally sounded like Grandaddy. Does anyone know which commercial that is, and if it is indeed Grandaddy?
I just saw that. I knew it was Grandaddy, but not sure what song. Can't remember what the commercial was for...

Originally posted by ChampionshipVinyl:
  Does anyone know what the song in the Sears commercial advertising their fall clothing line is?
Not sure if this is the same Sears commercial you saw, but I saw one the other day that uses Stephen Malkmus' "Phantasies"

SPARX

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:27:00 pm »
A fashion company using BJM Supersonic shocked me.They even put it as the theme  music for their website            http://www.bcbg.com/fall2005/index.htm

pip

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by ChampionshipVinyl:
I haven't seen the ad myself, but perhaps the song you're looking for is "Just Like The Monkeys" by Ralph's World.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 08:42:00 pm »
i'm telling you, the M83 song "don't save us from the flames" in the pontiac ads right now is the best use of indie rock (if you can call it that) in any commercial, period
(o|o)

diedslippy

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 08:59:00 pm »
The Sears commercial with a woman walking up the sidewalk? The song is "There Goes the Sun" by Pernice Brothers. Joe Pernice is one of my favorite songwriters, and leads an excellent band.

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 09:39:00 pm »
Ding Ding Ding. This is the correct answer. Unless the other people who have responded are talking about a different song. I googled, and yes Malkmus and Ralph's World have Sears songs in addition to Pernice Bros.

Originally posted by diedslippy:
  The Sears commercial with a woman walking up the sidewalk? The song is "There Goes the Sun" by Pernice Brothers. Joe Pernice is one of my favorite songwriters, and leads an excellent band.

stu47

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 11:09:00 pm »
the grandaddy song is the incredibly catchy Nature Anthem off their mix complitation dj below the radio thing, and I think its a car commercial, but for the life of me, I cant think which one

bearman🐻

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 12:24:00 am »
Well I hope they're getting some good bucks for it. A band like Grandaddy only has so many shots at putting food on the table, they're a wonderful band but I just don't ever see them becoming more than what they are. And they're one more reason why I loved Elliott Smith so much...it was great to discover them when they opened for him in 2000.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 03:00:00 am »
Originally posted by bearman:
  Well I hope they're getting some good bucks for it. A band like Grandaddy only has so many shots at putting food on the table, they're a wonderful band but I just don't ever see them becoming more than what they are.
no offense, but whoever wrote "no it's on" and "stray dog and the chocolate shake" has plenty of chances at commercial goodness ... those guys have their finger on the mainstream trigger, and they're not far off ...
(o|o)

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 08:54:00 am »
When I first started listening to "indie" music in the mid-80's, the idea of selling your song to a corporate entity for use in a commercial was completely frowned upon, and seen as an instant loss in cred, both among bands and fans. Why has the cliamte changed so much?

I rather favor the approach taken by Yo La Tengo. They have said that if asked, they would gladly write a jingle for a commercial, but would never sell one of their actual songs.

pj

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 09:09:00 am »
What is the Malkmus song in the Sears commercial? I see people talking about it, but I don't think I have ever seen it.

Random Citizen

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 11:05:00 am »
There are a lot of indie bands with songs in commercials these days. M&Ms is used both versions (the original by Postal Service and the Iron & Wine cover) of "Such Great Heights" in commercials.

This site is pretty good for looking up songs featured in commercials.

Arlette

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
Originally posted by Xavier Bush, Power Forward:
  When I first started listening to "indie" music in the mid-80's, the idea of selling your song to a corporate entity for use in a commercial was completely frowned upon, and seen as an instant loss in cred, both among bands and fans. Why has the cliamte changed so much?

A couple of things about the business that may make it more attractive (necessary?) for bands to give/sell their songs to commercials:

1.  Radio has gotten more restrictive in the past few years.  A lot more restrictive than even 5 years ago because of stations who used to play rock formats switching to urban or other formats.  Plus, with the almost near monopolization of Clear Channel, playlists are so much more formatted than they used to be.  It's incredibly rare for a band to break out on radio unless Clear Channel adds their song.

2.  ....And with the new payola scandals, it's clear that Clear Channel and other stations won't really break a new band unless the label (must be major who has deep pockets) is willing to pay for play.  

Bands who are smart and don't take big advances from labels can't get radio play so are resorting to other means, i.e. commercials, to get exposure.  I also think the success of Moby's album, when he sold a bunch of songs to commercials and didn't get hardly any radio airplay, but still had a huge hit album, made bands realize they had to be more willing to do so if they wanted to get to the next level.  

The funniest thing about this thread is that a lot of people can't remember the products being advertised but are remembering the music.  If I were in a band, that'd be fine with me.