Author Topic: massive attack set list??  (Read 9292 times)

blinksaar

massive attack set list??
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:25:00 pm »
just want to know what to expect tommorow. thanks. and if anyone know's how long they played that'd be nice also.

thanks,
 alec

poorlulu

Re: massive attack set list??
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 10:23:00 pm »
well I saw them yesterday in Chicago.

Vey nice stage/lighting set.  But they only play for an hour with a 15 min encore.....not great.

they played everything you'd expect them to play with not a lot from the new album (thank god)

they were good but to brief....riviera theatre is a great venue though

helicon1

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 11:07:00 pm »
Wow, major disappointment. The sound was really puny tonight and no energy whatsoever. We left before the encore because our patience was running thin. Nice light show though.

lily1

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 06:28:00 am »
wow, that's disappointing to hear. when i saw they were going on at 9.30 rather than the usual 10 or 10.30 for a weeknight show, i figured it would be for a TWO hour set, not an hour set.

eros

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 08:08:00 am »
I thought it was closer to 1 1/2 hours, but I wasn't really checking my watch.

I agree the energy was a little low, but Massive Attack isn't exactly happy fun pop music.  The crowd got moving in the encore during Unfinished Sympathy.  The sound mix was excellent from my spot - could've been a hair louder though.

Great lights/visuals/fog, and who knew all those interesting facts about Washington DC?
ʎɐʍou

blinksaar

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 08:31:00 am »
anyone know the set list?

leafblower

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 09:57:00 am »
All the Horace Andy songs and most of the stuff they played off of Mezzanine was incredible.  Liz Fraser was underwhelming.  She butchered "Teardrop" but sounded much better for "Group Four."  The other female singer killed it on the Blue Lines stuff.  No Daddy G (paternity leave or something like that) so that limited what they can play.  

I was really jazzed to see this show and while it wasn't a disappointment, it didn't blow me away either. The set had its peaks and valleys, but overall I was pretty happy with the show.

I think they're used to playing bigger places so that is a challenge to the sound guy.  The bass was a little overpowering last night.

saintangelsin

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 10:50:00 am »
the set list was decent. i was hoping for karmacoma but of course without daddy G that song wasn't going to happen.

I thought "angel" rocked like hell. I thought the other female singer was fantastic. she totally owned "unfinished sympathy". "teardrop" was cool just becuase liz fraser was there. I was up front and you should have heard everyone say "holy shit!" when he introduced her. It was quite the funny moment. I was expecting Dot Allison, who usually fills in with them, so to say the least i was surprised!

personally though, next time, they should nab tracy from everything but the girl and bring her out on tour! she would totally bring the house down.

I think it was well worth the 40 bucks. I am pretty sure last night they played for 90 minutes. because they got on stange around 9:30 pm or so. and were done about 11:10 pm. I timed it the best I could. I think people got impatient because they jammed out a lot of the songs, which in my opinion was pretty rad.

I seriously loved the lighting. the messages about DC and all that stuff was killer. I thought the energy was pretty decent. granted, i was with some enthusiastic fans all the way up front. however, i did notice not many people around us danced or even moved, which is sooo lame.

I honestly wasn't even sure what to expect with the show, because i could never invision seeing them live when i was younger. I wasn't sure how it would have quite worked out. To me, Massive Attack is more for listening than something high energy like Depeche Mode. But to say the very least, I went home very very happy last night.

ps- set list wise, i don't remember much of the order but i'll try to name off a few songs...

1. false flags
 2. angel
 3. teardrop
 4. safe from harm
 5. unfinished sympathy
 6. group 4
 7. Hymn of the Big Wheel
 8. Inertia Creeps
 9. Mezzanine

I know that they played more than this. i was looking at the actual set list last night. some kid i was talking to snagged a copy of it.

Relaxer

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 10:55:00 am »
So if Daddy G is off on paternity leave, are there any of the 3 original guys there?

I'm all for paternity leave, but unless that baby was born really early or late, I think it was probably a bad idea to plan a tour to coincide with the due date.
oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 11:19:00 am »
They are down to one orginial member who was the only one involved in the last studio album...

so besides the singers performing, what other musicians are on board for the shows?
T.Rex

eros

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 11:22:00 am »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  So if Daddy G is off on paternity leave, are there any of the 3 original guys there?

3-D is playing with the band.
ʎɐʍou

eros

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 11:26:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  so besides the singers performing, what other musicians are on board for the shows?
3-D, Horace Andy, Liz Fraser, the other singer (is it Debra?  she can WAIL), 2 drummers, keyboard/sampling, guitar, bass.
ʎɐʍou

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »
The setlist was:

False Flags
 Risingson
 Black Milk
 Man Next Door
 Butterfly Caught
 Hymn of the Big Wheel
 Mezzanine
 Teardrop
 Angel
 Future Proof
 Safe From Harm
 --
 Inertia Creeps
 Unfinished Sympathy
 Group Four

They came on at 9:30, show was over at 11:15, so I have NO idea what show you all were at that was only an hour and fifteen minutes long. The main set wasn't even over until 10:45, and that was before the encores.

Overall I loved it, cant wait for tonights show. I'm hoping they'll pull out Heat Miser or Antistar.
Woof.

poorlulu

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 01:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by ixkpd-bk:
  The setlist was:

False Flags
 Risingson
 Black Milk
 Man Next Door
 Butterfly Caught
 Hymn of the Big Wheel
 Mezzanine
 Teardrop
 Angel
 Future Proof
 Safe From Harm
 --
 Inertia Creeps
 Unfinished Sympathy
 Group Four

They came on at 9:30, show was over at 11:15, so I have NO idea what show you all were at that was only an hour and fifteen minutes long. The main set wasn't even over until 10:45, and that was before the encores.

That's the exact set list from Chicago the night before.....there was no banter with the crowd and the set was done in about an hour and 15 mins....

It was good but a bit impersonnal.....

Sir HC

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »
There was some crowd banter they did.  

The volume at the floor level was perfect.  If it were louder it would have interfered with the experience, quieter and it wouldn't have had the impact.  They didn't get a soundcheck yesterday, they were running late, but other than once where the keyboards were just too loud it was a very nice mix.  Agree I would have loved to hear some daddy g songs, in fact 3-d mentioned before Risingson that he would be doing the Daddy G parts because he couldn't make it (the rest was long on his accent).  If you think about it, what did the 3 guys in Massive Attack do?  Sing and arrange the songs.  I don't think they played the drums or bass or guitars, so not having them there more or less limits what they can play based on their singing.  

I had fun, but the stupid people behind me (bragging about how his iPod has "____ Attorney at Law" on it) and the girl with the fake snotty British laugh should be shot.