Author Topic: $6 Yuengling?  (Read 52112 times)

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
Re: $6 Yuengling?
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2005, 10:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  capitalism, cont'd:

the best thing you can do is vote with your pocketbooks

when a business charges more, and people stop buying, then the laws of supply & demand will take effect

if a ticket is too much money, don't go

if a drink is too much, don't buy it

we will notice, believe me

on the other hand, the better we do, the more ability we have to keep prices down (volume) - hence the drink prices have not been raised for several years...we knew the abrupt hike would piss everyone off, but we figured that was better than constantly raising them in relation to our increased costs

so if you want to look at your drink glasses as half full, consider how much you've been drinking for the past years for less than it should have been
I'm sure you would notice if bar sales decreased in both revenue as well as volume going out, but do I really think it will have that much of an impact? No.  Overall, the majority of people aren't going to even know the prices were raised and will continue to just keep shelling out the money.  They'll only bitch about it when they've sobered up the next day and realized how much they dropped the night before at the club. Then 2 months later when they come back to the club it's a repeating cycle.

Your last statement though is kinda bogus. To say that people were drinking for less than they should have been is only saying it's cut into your profit margins. Sure there's your expenses/overhead for the bar, but you're certainly are not paying more than $0.85 per beer of Yuengling. Whole Foods in DC has 6-packs for $4.99.  :)  While I know prices on everything have gone up my real complaint is charging so much for beer (Yuengling) that isn't a microbrew/import. I still stand by that prices could easily have just gone up by $0.50 and less people on here would bitch about it.

Okay it's 10am on Sat. I have no frickin clue why I'm up before noon so go easy if what I said sounds like I'm talking out my ass!

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2005, 10:46:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 it would also appear that didn't contact the club directly on the issue just rewriting what was mentioned here... then again it's just a blog and not real journalism
Isn't that a technique of so-called 'Gonzo' journalism??

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2005, 11:08:00 am »
could be..

but to me it's more like gossip or the telephone game...
T.Rex

« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
Isn't the bboard, as thatguy's so fond of pointing out, a cyber-arm of the brick & mortar club?  And isn't Shadrach, as a moderator,  a 'faithful terrirer' of the club, it's inner workings and policies???

So if you take that into account, then it is good journalism with the caveat that the source is provided.  They DID mention that it was the 930 club?  And they separated the poop in the manner of a quote..?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2005, 11:37:00 pm »
  capitalism, cont'd:

but it's not like we have any choice in the matter ... when i go to a normal bar/club i go because i like the environs, price, etc ... i go to 9:30 club largely because i want to see the performer that night ... it helps that you have such an attractive venue, friendly staff, etc, but it's not like i could simply choose to go to another venue that evening because i'm frustrated about the drink prices

not sure if that made any sense, but if this happened at a bar in my neighborhood i'd simply flex my consumer muscle by going to other bars, it's just not possible in this case

either way, all we're talking about here is a fucking dollar for a drink, i think things are getting blown a bit out of proportion ... it's not like you've stopped selling alcohol   :eek:
(o|o)

Urbansprite

« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2005, 03:29:00 am »
that stinking 9:30 Club.  i mean, they let in underage kids that can't drink to every show, and they don't even limit their numbers!  sometimes, the entire venue is filled with people too young to buy a bud light!  how do they expect to move enough volume to keep prices at below market level with those practices?  moreover, when they book a show that doesn't generate huge bar revenue, do they learn their lesson and pass on it the next time?  noooooooo.  they keep doing what they think is right, occasionally adjusting their price structure to match market forces and respond to their fixed and variable costs.  clearly, they just don't care about us drinkers.  i feel betrayed.  were my soul not in a glowing green globe underneath eddie's desk, i would so be outta there ...

hey -- can we figure out the real estate market next?  i would really like to buy one of the new lofts in logan circle, but they are SO overpriced.  it isn't like this is new york where you can find a loft anywhere.  as one of the sole purveyors of such properties in our area, i think the developers have a duty to keep their prices down, even if there are people that will pay what they are asking for.  i mean, who do they think they are?

« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2005, 07:23:00 am »
Originally posted by Urbansprite:
   i would really like to buy one of the new lofts in logan circle, but they are SO overpriced.  
Why don't you try Logan's Run instead?

squidpants

« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2005, 09:25:00 am »
Sarcasm or not, you can't say $6 for Yuengling is fair, dude.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2005, 09:34:00 am »
As far as I'm concerned, people who drink the swill that is beer deserve to be ripped off.

sonickteam2

« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2005, 09:39:00 am »

if a ticket is too much money, don't go

if a drink is too much, don't buy it

we will notice, believe me

have you noticed that i stopped coming?

Arlette

« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2005, 10:51:00 am »
Why doesn't the club have a surcharge for those under 21?  Most clubs do these days.  Seth, you're missing a capitalistic opportunity.

hitman

« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2005, 01:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by xcanuck:
  Be nice to your bartenders, tip well, don't be impatient, and I think you'll fin5{less for beers. I know my bar bill is usually less than what it should be and it's not just the 930 that does that.

Then again, maybe I'm getting some kind of volume discount which comes from drinking eight beers per night   ;)  
Drinking 8 beers a night...probably means you aren't getting a discount.  You're probably just buzzed enough to not realize the amount of money you're spending.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2005, 08:11:00 am »
Originally posted by Arlette:
  Why doesn't the club have a surcharge for those under 21?  Most clubs do these days.  Seth, you're missing a capitalistic opportunity.
being a capitalist does not mean that making money takes the place of right & wrong

I just think that charging people extra because of their age is wrong, and offensive

on the business side of that, we are trying to develop our future customers, not discourage them

« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2005, 09:49:00 am »
Isn't "Yuengling" what they do in the Swiss alps when flu season hits?

Or maybe $6 Yuengling is a sex act you can buy on the beach at Phuket island?   "Hey, did you know that you can give your John Thomas a good Yuengling in Thailand for only 6 bucks American!"

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2005, 09:50:00 am »
Originally posted by clouds R²:
  Or maybe $6 Yuengling is a sex act you can buy on the beach at Phuket island?  
I can assure you, it is not.