Author Topic: Tower Records To Be Liquidated starting 10/7  (Read 54528 times)

redsock

Re: Tower Records To Be Liquidated starting 10/7
« Reply #255 on: December 20, 2006, 10:17:00 am »
I managed to pull in a decent hall last night at the GW store. 80% off, got Vitalic (import), The Legends, Small Sins, Heavenly States, Lansing-Dreiden, Bikini Atoll and, the best of all, Stevie B's Greatest hits. Which, lucky for all of you, there were still a fair amount of copies left. I left stuff there though: Eliot Lipp, the new Sleepy Jackson, Codec and Flexor among others. I would love one of their large wall units for my CD collection, but $125 is too much. Anyone think they'll drop those?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #256 on: December 20, 2006, 10:21:00 am »
I left Mudvayne, Hatebreed, and Creed for you at the Tyson's Corner store  :p

Originally posted by Steny Hoyer, Pubic Destroyer:
  Hoe big are you on Tuck and Patti?

Originally posted by Joe M.:
  Are there still good ones to acquire in Rockville??
[/b]
(_|_)

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #257 on: December 20, 2006, 10:40:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  I would love one of their large wall units for my CD collection, but $125 is too much. Anyone think they'll drop those?
Definitely. Talk to the manager.

« Reply #258 on: December 20, 2006, 11:17:00 am »
Correction: Final day at Vienna store is Thursday.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #259 on: December 20, 2006, 11:19:00 am »
What's their discount now? I called yesterday and it was 80%.

(_|_)

« Reply #260 on: December 20, 2006, 11:25:00 am »
80% at Vienna and Fairfax.

Originally posted by Joe M.:
  What's their discount now? I called yesterday and it was 80%.

[/b]

Relaxer

« Reply #261 on: December 20, 2006, 11:29:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  I managed to pull in a decent hall last night at the GW store. 80% off, got Vitalic (import), The Legends, Small Sins, Heavenly States, Lansing-Dreiden, Bikini Atoll and, the best of all, Stevie B's Greatest hits. Which, lucky for all of you, there were still a fair amount of copies left. I left stuff there though: Eliot Lipp, the new Sleepy Jackson, Codec and Flexor among others. I would love one of their large wall units for my CD collection, but $125 is too much. Anyone think they'll drop those?
I was at the GW store last night too. I think this is the last trip I'll make. I picked up discs by Adam Green, the Ark, deadboy & elephantmen, Test Icicles, The Paddingtons, The Glitterati, and Nine Black Alps.

For those who have bought a crapload of discs in the last couple weeks, it'll be interesting to hear which ones ended up being good and which ones didn't. I bought more than a dozen discs from bands I hadn't heard of, but figured a couple bucks was worth hearing something new and great.
oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #262 on: December 20, 2006, 11:34:00 am »
well the B's must have gotten one of the late night specials I've heard tales of because Rockville is still stuck at 80%..
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #263 on: December 20, 2006, 01:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  well the B's must have gotten one of the late night specials I've heard tales of because Rockville is still stuck at 80%..
I guess I got lucky.  All the signs said 80%, but the cashier manually entered 50 cents for everything.  I didn't know they were going to do that until I was at the register.    But even at 50 cents, there wasn't much more I would have picked up.

anarchist

« Reply #264 on: December 20, 2006, 07:41:00 pm »
gw was down to anything for 50 cents at 3pm on 12/20.  25 cents for the stuff up front.  not much to choose from.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2006, 08:50:00 am »
It's a good thing
 A.  Record Stores don't go out of business very often
 B. My parents are helping me to be a new winter coat from Christmas

Buying closeout records is an addiction and Tower has been feeding it to the nth degree of late.  I wont relay the gore details of my several bags of purchases the past couple weeks but here is what made me happy yesterday.

Le Beat Bespoke a collection of 60s mod bands
 Do The Pop!  A two disc collection of Australian Garage w/ The Saints, Radio Birdman, Hoodoo Gurus, etc.  The booklet includes a picture of Guru's Guitarist wanted flyer which lists all the bands they were influenced by.
 A complete set of Do Me Bad Things singles for a buck.
 On a whim I got Oi Va Voi w/ KT Tunstall which sounds pretty cool.
 Got one of the mystery 50 cent CDs, originally $29 it was something I was waffling over so was good it got bought.

And yes the purchase that made me the most giddy was Bros greatest hits.   Wii! Overproduced pop tunes from the late 80s.  When Well I Be Famous indeed!
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2006, 08:54:00 am »
Listening to my Do Me Bad Things singles today made me realize how bummed I was they broke up.  Why Scissor Sisters got popular verses these guys is beyond me.  DMBT makes them look like a bunch of big girls blouses...
T.Rex

« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2006, 10:14:00 am »
Anybody been to Vienna for Fairfax in the last day or two and have a merchandise report? Wondering if there is going to be anything left to take a shot on when things are a dollar or less.

There certainly was at Alexandria. Different story I thought at Foggy Bottom. Aside from three or four good albums I already had, I couldn't find anything there to try out even for 50 cents.

I've gotten tons of good shit, but I'll wait until I've gone through it all to summarize.

bellenseb

« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2006, 10:17:00 am »
I hit Tower Tysons last night and made out like a nostalgic bandit. It was still 80% except for singles which were 25 cents. They still had plenty of:

Serena-Maneesh
 Sound Team
 Walkmen
 Sleepy Jackson
 Twilight Singers
 Rhett Miller
 Big Star tribute
 Luna DVD
 Islands (1 copy)
 Boris (1 copy)
 and lots of single copies of assorted indie and other interesting stuff. Anyone in the area this afternoon will likely be able to buy these for 25 or 50 cents apiece as they will close at "5 or maybe earlier".

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2006, 10:18:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Do The Pop!  A two disc collection of Australian Garage w/ The Saints, Radio Birdman, Hoodoo Gurus, etc.  The booklet includes a picture of Guru's Guitarist wanted flyer which lists all the bands they were influenced by.
Great find.