Author Topic: Tower Records To Be Liquidated starting 10/7  (Read 54527 times)

Re: Tower Records To Be Liquidated starting 10/7
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2006, 10:29:00 am »
Has anyone observed at what times the prices drop from 90% to $1 to 50 cents to 25 cents? Wondering if it's better to go for quality (earlier) or quantity (later). Yes, I am becoming even more of a dork.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2006, 10:45:00 am »
following steny into deeper dorkdom... any word on if there will be a warehouse sale following the closing?  surely they'll need to unload all those Do Me Bad Things records laying around.  unless people want to scoop them up for me  :)
T.Rex

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2006, 10:59:00 am »
Just as I was leaving Rockville last night they were unboxing leftovers from stores that had already closed. They close at 5pm on Friday.

I didn't get the same 50cent deal last night as I did Monday, probably because the manager was nearby   :eek: . But every CD was $2 or less. Best find: Massacre "Killing Time" (Fred Frith and Bill Laswell early 80s collab).

They don't have a local warehouse so whatever is left locally will probably be shipped west. I think they're closing the easternmost stores first.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2006, 11:07:00 am »
So they have new inventory??

Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:
  Just as I was leaving Rockville last night they were unboxing leftovers from stores that had already closed. They close at 5pm on Friday.

(_|_)

« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2006, 11:11:00 am »
If it's what was leftover from Alexandria and Foggy Bottom, don't bother.

Originally posted by Joe M.:
  So they have new inventory??

Originally posted by beetsnotbeats:

[/b]

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #275 on: December 21, 2006, 02:08:00 pm »
I'm going to be at the Fairfax store today and might pop up to the Tysons store also......report to follow....

anarchist

« Reply #276 on: December 21, 2006, 07:19:00 pm »
i am almost certain everything is 50 cents on the last day or at some point into the last day.  it might get cheaper if you stay until the end.  but at that point there is nothing worth buying.

CloverOverDover

« Reply #277 on: December 21, 2006, 09:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 any word on if there will be a warehouse sale following the closing?
No chance.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #278 on: December 21, 2006, 09:27:00 pm »
Just back from Fairfax store.....still 80%.....highly picked over of course.....I'm going back early tommorrow to see about the 50 cent pricing.....if so,there are quite a few import compilations and such that would be nice to grab.....oh,and about 10 copies remain of Twilight Singers new one and a "best of" Winger that doesn't seem to be moving,either....

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #279 on: December 21, 2006, 11:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Steny Hoyer, Pubic Destroyer:
  Hoe big are you on Tuck and Patti?

Originally posted by Joe M.:
  Are there still good ones to acquire in Rockville??
[/b]
"The earth is our mo-o-other, we shall not bury her"
Woof.

Driveway

« Reply #280 on: December 22, 2006, 12:53:00 am »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  i am almost certain everything is 50 cents on the last day or at some point into the last day.  it might get cheaper if you stay until the end.  but at that point there is nothing worth buying.
Not true!  I got a lot of goos stuff from Fairfax just now.  Sadly though, The Lemonheads cds are all gone  :)

anarchist

« Reply #281 on: December 22, 2006, 03:03:00 am »
Not true! I got a lot of goos stuff from Fairfax just now. Sadly though, The Lemonheads cds are all gone

wait 'til the s... is 50 cents.  then there will not selection.  and when you factor in time and gas, is it really worth it? record convergence has a great selection for 25% of tower's inflated prices.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #282 on: December 22, 2006, 03:17:00 am »
  Not true! I got a lot of goos stuff from Fairfax just now. Sadly though, The Lemonheads cds are all gone

wait 'til the s... is 50 cents.  then there will not selection.  and when you factor in time and gas, is it really worth it? record convergence has a great selection for 25% of tower's inflated prices.
Where is this Record Convergence you speak of??
 There used to be one in Fairfax,but it closed years ago.Very cool store.....

Reod Dai

« Reply #283 on: December 22, 2006, 06:13:00 am »
I haven't been keeping up with this at all, I didn't even know they were getting ready to close up for good.  But my mother and I happened to make a trip down to Rockville yesterday to do some Christmas shopping, and we happened into the shopping center where Tower is.  Of course, we had to pop in and see what was left.  The last time I was in a Tower was over in Philly, back when CDs were 30% off, and like I said, I had no idea things were getting down to the wire.  They've got "Last 2 Days" signs up, and everything is 90% off (supposedly).

You're all right about the employees not really caring anymore, and everything being completely disorganized and out of control at this point.  Good lord was it ever worth it.  I'm not sure what may be left today, but Rockville still had some decent stuff left yesterday, let me tell you.

I paid $19.74 for all of this.

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Polmo Polpo - Like Hearts Swelling</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Jim Noir - Tower of Love (imported UK version)</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Shearwater - Thieves</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Crooked Fingers - Crooked Fingers</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Danielson - Ships</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">The Twilight Singers - Powder Burns</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Robert Pollard - Fiction Man</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Frog Eyes - The Bloody Hand</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Wilderness - Vessel States</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Forget Cassettes - Salt</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Sound Team - "Movie Monster"</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Mayday - Old Blood</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">The Dears - Lost in the Plot (single)</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Willy Mason - So Long (single)</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Velvet Acid Christ - Decypher (single/remix)</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Thursday - A City by the Light Divided (Eh, what the hell?)</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Something for Rockets - Something for Rockets</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders - Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Some By Sea - On Fire! (Igloo)</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Benjy Ferree - Leaving the Nest</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Transition Video Magazine Issue 001 (DVD, has footage of Blonde Redhead, Against Me!, PMFS, Mountain Goats, and Blood Brothers, amongst others)</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">
 The guy only rang up four items on my receit.  I can't really make heads or tails of what exactly he did, but he certainly winged it somehow.  My mother checked out before me, with 26 albums, and he told her that he was feeling lazy and how did $10 for the lot sound?  She had some of the same ones as me (like Taylor Hawkins and Something for Rockets), along with a few others on my recommendation that I already own (Two Gallants, Michael Leviton, Willy Mason, Ashley Matte).  She also just starting grabbing up albums that looked remotely interesting.  And then there were the two Raising the Fawn albums she managed to find before I could get to them.  :(   26 albums for ten bucks.  Insane.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #284 on: December 22, 2006, 08:44:00 am »
Originally posted by Dr. Anton Phibes:

Where is this Record Convergence you speak of??
 There used to be one in Fairfax,but it closed years ago.Very cool store..... [/b]
They did close years ago.  The  originial Falls Church store was my first music buying mecca back in the mid 80's.  The owner, a great guy and fantastic guitar player, now owns a music school in Falls Church city if anyone want to learn an instrument!