Author Topic: Tower Records To Be Liquidated starting 10/7  (Read 54525 times)

eltee

Re: Tower Records To Be Liquidated starting 10/7
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2006, 01:19:00 pm »
What time does Fairfax close? I drove by Tyson's yesterday, hoping they would have one last "open until midnight" closing hour, but no such luck.

Reod Dai-very cool about your mom's bargain!

Stony

« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2006, 02:15:00 pm »
5 pm

anarchist

« Reply #287 on: December 22, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
Where is this Record Convergence you speak of??
 my bad  cd cellar

Chulahoma

« Reply #288 on: December 22, 2006, 05:57:00 pm »
the fairfax store is now closed.  i was about to check out around 4pm and the guy gets on the overhead and tells everyone that all cds and dvds were 50 cents...found a few good cds (murder by death, twilight singers, andrew wk)

Here's the thing

« Reply #289 on: December 22, 2006, 06:10:00 pm »
Is the Record Convegence guy named Ted? I hadn't thought about that place or guy in years, and I thought about Ted this week when I heard a Bevis Frond song. He was a great guy, and I spent many hours in high school shopping at that place. Good memory of the time when a group of friends would actually leave the house to look for good music. Downloading is convenient for the obvious reasons, but I miss afternoons discovering new music at the record store. Wow. Official sounding old...

« Reply #290 on: December 22, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »
Well you should have hung around with the rest of us, when it went to 25 cents at 4:25. I got 36 cd's and 1 single for $9.48.

Originally posted by bizou311:
  the fairfax store is now closed.  i was about to check out around 4pm and the guy gets on the overhead and tells everyone that all cds and dvds were 50 cents...found a few good cds (murder by death, twilight singers, andrew wk)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #291 on: December 22, 2006, 08:08:00 pm »
while at the rockville store the discount went from 95% per CD to 10 CDs for $5 to 15 CDs for $5.  I walked out with 45 albums and 15 singles, total 20 bucks.  Or rather I bought one The Features and got 14 free  :)   Granted I ended up with a couple copies of several CDs to trade on lala.  Anyone want to buy a Departure CD for a buck?

I was impressed at how well picked over the store was.  Several titles I thought might still be around at the bitter were gone like The Sails, Malcolm Middleton, even the Girls Aloud CDs were gone.  You had to search through all the bins to find stuff, which is why I found The Heavy Blinkers and Peter Walker.
T.Rex

« Reply #292 on: December 22, 2006, 08:27:00 pm »
My 25 cent buys at Fairfax:

Jolie Holland (2)
 Keren Ann
 Cordero (2)
 Mark Mallman
 Radar Bros.
 Oranger
 Kelley Stoltz (2)
 Richmond Fontaine (2)
 Court and Spark
 Jesse Dayton
 The Duke Spirit
 Ladyfuzz
 Archie Bronson Quartet
 Forget Cassettes
 Twilight Singers
 Chatham County Line
 Real Tuesday Weld
 Danielson
 Joan as Policewoman
 Frog Eyes
 Micah P. Hinson
 Ash
 Amy Winehouse
 We Are Wolves
 Several compilations

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #293 on: December 22, 2006, 08:50:00 pm »
Last goodbuy @ Rockville: 2 giftcard tins, 1 shopping basket, 19 CDs -- $2.42.

Highlights:
 Do Me Bad Things "Yes!" (Kosmo, get back to me in, say, 2011; I gots lotsa listenin')
 Matmos "Rat Relocation Program"
 The Suspicious Cheese Lords "Mæstro di Capella"
 Sexsmith & Kerr "Destination Unknown"
 v/a "Japanese Homegrown v.2"
 Arthur Russell "Another Thought"
 v/a "Dissolve: A Work In Progress Compilation" (noise/rock, e.g. Merzbow, Lee Renaldo, etc.)

14 of the 19 purchased were leftovers from Foggy Bottom (look on the price tag for "Tower Records: 0130" instead of 0154 if you're curious about your own). Good thing I went back for the bitter end.

« Reply #294 on: December 25, 2006, 11:38:00 am »
Mary J.Bilge

bigyellow100

« Reply #295 on: December 25, 2006, 11:39:00 am »
are they all closed now?

« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2006, 09:31:00 am »
Some funny little stories from the Fairfax closing:

1. It's 3 PM, the store closes for good at 5 pm, everything is 50 cents. I hear someone ask a worker, "Where would I find Whitney Houston?" The worker replies, "Everything is out of order, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have any Whitney Houston at this point."

2. I see two fiftysomething women pushng around baskets with their feet, because they are too full to be carried by hand. One says to the other, in a deep Southern drawl, "So if it's punk and emo, will it say it on the label?"

3. Earlier this year, we had the misfortune of seeing some guy called Gran Bel Fisher open a show at the Birchmere. I can't begin to describe how bad this guy was...it was painful. Allmusic lists James Blunt and Daniel Powter as simliar artists, and  says this: :The songwriters have a knack for creating mini-suites that seem ready-made for post-teen females looking for a sensitive guy to hold their hands and guide the way. There's nothing wrong with that, and Fisher seems more than willing to comply with an impressive â?? if not terribly unique â?? set of material. With the correct marketing, his handsome face is ready to adorn sorority bedroom walls."

Anyway, a 40something woman approaches me and asks "What kind of music do you like?" So I'm thinking she sees my hipster doofus glasses and my full basket of cd's and has decided to ask someone who looks like a music geek for some recommendations..."Oh, I like a variety of music," I reply. She responds, handing me a cd (guess which one), Try this, it's dynamite." Oh, I've seen him play before, and it was horrible" I respond, thus quickly ending the conversation.

4. The prices have gone from 95% to 50 cents, I know if I wait long enough, they'll go to 25 cents. But which will win out? My thriftiness, or my weak bladder. Just as I'm about to pee my pants , I spot board member Dr. Anton Phibes, and he is kind enough to hold my basket while I go next door and pee. Thanks again Dr. Anton.

eltee

« Reply #297 on: June 12, 2011, 02:59:54 pm »
Colin Hanks is raising money at Kickstarter to finish a documentary about Tower Records: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1280611212/all-things-must-pass-the-rise-and-fall-of-tower-re?ref=spotlight

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #298 on: June 12, 2011, 08:18:40 pm »
I miss the hell out of the Rockville store.

Look forward to seeing this.

evilizac

« Reply #299 on: June 13, 2011, 10:02:07 am »
Yeah,
Younger (and by that I mean anyone younger than 25) people that I talk talk to have no concept of what it was like to get lost for hours in a Tower Records... I miss attempting to get people to hear whatever band I was in at any given time by inundating the bulletin board area with CDs. I miss just having a "cool" bulletin board to leave CDs at... and I miss getting Arthur mags and listening to whatever was on the CD...
It's a crying shame that the Rockville store is, I think, some mattress outlet...
WHAT?