Author Topic: The 2009 Albums Thread  (Read 196084 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The 2009 Albums Thread
« Reply #300 on: July 05, 2009, 10:44:05 pm »
Several years in gestation, the Riceboy Sleeps project was first
conceived as an outlet for Jonsi and his boyfriend Alex's visual art,
resulting in the highly covetable 1,000 limited edition A6 book,
printed in Iceland to highly exacting spec. Gallery shows and video
installations followed, and with them the creation of the first
dream-like soundscapes towards what would become this album.

Recorded at home in between Sigur Rós commitments, the music took
shape slowly, and suffered a near fatal setback when the computer on
which it was all stored was dragged from the kitchen table in the
days before Apple had magnetic power leads. Fortunately some nifty
and painstaking keyhole surgery effected during a sojourn in Hawaii
resulted in complete recovery of the splendid specimen soon to be
before you.

We will send you details of the different formats available in due
course, but for now immerse yourself in 'Boy 1904', which features
the buried treasure of the only known recording of the last ever
castrato singer. No wonder this music seems beamed in from another
time and place.

http://www.jonsiandalex.com
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #301 on: July 06, 2009, 02:14:38 pm »
"Just because he's back to slugging away corroded bass tones for Dinosaur Jr. doesn't mean Lou Barlow has stopped writing songs for his own projects. The indie rock journeyman is ready to release his second LP under his own name, Goodnight Unknown, on October 6 via Merge. The record is produced by Andrew Murdock (Godsmack, Avenged Sevenfold [?!]) and features guest turns from the Melvins' Dale Crover and singer-songwriter Lisa Germano."
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #302 on: July 06, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »
"Just because he's back to slugging away corroded bass tones for Dinosaur Jr. doesn't mean Lou Barlow has stopped writing songs for his own projects. The indie rock journeyman is ready to release his second LP under his own name, Goodnight Unknown, on October 6 via Merge. The record is produced by Andrew Murdock (Godsmack, Avenged Sevenfold [?!]) and features guest turns from the Melvins' Dale Crover and singer-songwriter Lisa Germano."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #303 on: July 06, 2009, 10:52:40 pm »
from R.E.M.:

RECKONING SONGS, DELUXE REVIEWS, CONTESTS, AND A LOOK AHEAD TO FALL
The release date for Reckoning Songs From The Olympia, the 4-song digital E.P. comprised of songs from the band's 2007 Working Rehearsals at Dublin's Olympia Theatre, is finally upon us.   "Reckoning Songs," including "Harborcoat," "Letter Never Sent," "Second Guessing," and "Pretty Persuasion," is available for download at iTunes and other digital outlets Tuesday.   "Harborcoat," the E.P.'s opening track, is currently streaming at remhq.com so be sure to check it out. If you like what you hear, you can order a copy of the E.P. at iTunes for the low price of $3.99. 
REVIEWS:
Consequence of Sound
Entertainment Weekly

LIVE FROM THE OLYMPIA
Mark your calendars!   In October, Warner will release R.E.M. LIVE FROM THE OLYMPIA, a special 2-CD set featuring songs from the aforementioned 2007 Working Rehearsals in Dublin.   Jacknife Lee, producer of R.E.M.'s ACCELERATE, is currently putting the finishing touches on "Live."   The double-CD will include 30-plus songs and will be available in various formats including vinyl. More on this release in the coming weeks.
IN THE NEWS: Pitchfork

and an album of new material is also in the works.
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #304 on: July 06, 2009, 11:13:49 pm »
Air -- Love 2
October 6th

AWESOME
If it sounds in the vein of Moon Safari, Premiere Symptomes, or Talkie Walkie -- yes, AWESOME. If it sounds like 10,000hz Legend or Pocket Symphony -- eh, not so much.

according to PF, things are looking good for fans of classic Air:

Air's new album of lush pop, excellently titled Love 2, is due out October 6 on Astralwerks. New song "Do the Joy" is not the official single from the record-- that would be "Sing Sang Sung", out August 25-- but it is the first thing you can hear from it.

Head over to Air's official site http://www.aircheology.com/, fill in a fake name, a real e-mail address, and get a code to download "Do the Joy" from iTunes. I just did it; it works. And-- guess what-- this thing is pretty Air-y! Robot voices, spaced-out synths, a general cloud-jumping vibe-- it's all here. Based on this song alone, it seems like the "back to Moon Safari" hype may not be completely unwarranted this time.

http://pitchfork.com/news/35825-listen-to-airs-brand-new-song/
<sig>

nkotb

« Reply #305 on: July 10, 2009, 11:55:15 am »
Anyone hear the new Dino Jr. or Oneida records yet?  eMusic's description of the Rated O made it sound more rock-based than the last few folky sounding records. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #306 on: July 10, 2009, 12:26:26 pm »
The last one, Preteen Weaponry was very rock-based, too.

Still yet to hear Rated O. Actually, I started it but didn't get far.

The new Dino Jr. stands right up there with Beyond and the first three.
And the new Jay Reatard is filled with tasty 60's psych-ish earworms.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #307 on: July 10, 2009, 12:28:37 pm »
Right...I always forget about that one.  It never really clicked with me for whatever reason. Guess I should give it another lesson.

edbert

« Reply #308 on: July 10, 2009, 12:42:42 pm »

azaghal1981

« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2009, 08:17:41 pm »
Does anyone else who's heard this Jay Reatard think it's full of emo-tastic lyrics? Musically, it might be his strongest effort but I dunno; ending the album by repeating the line "there is no sun for me" just reeks of wrist-slashery and that's just one of many examples.
احمد

teepo

« Reply #310 on: July 13, 2009, 01:59:29 pm »
the new blues control is pretty damn good.

walkonby

« Reply #311 on: July 13, 2009, 02:57:35 pm »
anybody heard anything new, music wise, from the gods of our mother planet and all space that surrounds it, ween?  i remember reading when they got back together, gene made the comment that this was "the new and improved ween" . . . like that might mean the off drugs and drinking herbal tea ween . . . which would be "interesting ween."

nkotb

« Reply #312 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:17 pm »
Well, both vinyl showed up today, so I have some serious listening to do.  That Dino Jr record sleeve is pretty.

Still yet to hear Rated O. Actually, I started it but didn't get far.

The new Dino Jr. stands right up there with Beyond and the first three.
And the new Jay Reatard is filled with tasty 60's psych-ish earworms.

Not sure about new music, but that makes me a little more psyched for the show this Thursday.  I'm hoping that, without a new album, they'll focus on some killer deep cuts.  We'll see...I've been a little bummed at the lack of variety at the last two area shows.  It seems the night before or after always get the better list...

anybody heard anything new, music wise, from the gods of our mother planet and all space that surrounds it, ween?  i remember reading when they got back together, gene made the comment that this was "the new and improved ween" . . . like that might mean the off drugs and drinking herbal tea ween . . . which would be "interesting ween."

azaghal1981

« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2009, 03:57:20 pm »
The Blues Control disc is  fantastic.

احمد

hutch

« Reply #314 on: July 13, 2009, 08:47:12 pm »

Well the set lists are available fromthe last three shows..

Gene's def put on a few pounds... I keep hearing he's given up drinking but at the black cat he was drinking ..

gonna see them friday...