Author Topic: The 2009 Albums Thread  (Read 196096 times)

azaghal1981

Re: The 2009 Albums Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 13, 2009, 07:23:44 am »
Snailhook, this guy still needs to make his DC debut.

"Portland, OR. bedroom wanderer Ilyas Ahmed emerges from the shadows and offers up his first new batch of songs in some time. Over a year in the making,
'Goner' sees Ahmed telescoping his previous acoustic wanderings into fuzzed out rockers and a hypnotic set of beautifully tight knit nocturnes. The kick
off of 'Earn Your Blood' is probably the most amped up and stoned out Ahmed has ever sounded, a heavy blown out thump of hiss & electric strum. From there
'Goner' really gets lost. Loner howls, model hypnosis, desolate vamps... it's all here. The comedown into 'Exit Twilight' with Grouper on vocals is as
haunting a broadcast you'll hear all year, for sure to knock around in your skull for days. Edition of 1000 CD's in an offset buff case with maroon ink."

Purchase:
http://www.rootstrata.com/
احمد

hutch

« Reply #346 on: August 13, 2009, 08:12:43 am »
I'm listening to the new Cornershop ("Judy Sucks a Lemon")

I love it but then again they are one of my favorite bands.

azaghal1981

« Reply #347 on: August 13, 2009, 05:54:36 pm »
Robert Wyatt - Radio Experiment Rome, 1981

"An unusual detour in the Robert Wyatt catalogue, Radio Experiment Rome was recorded in February 1981, when the ex-Soft Machine drummer had been
invited to record some material in-progress for a radio broadcast. The tone of these sessions is characterised by a free-roaming experimentation, laying
down eight-track recordings of vocals, piano, hi-hat, jaw harp and a variety of analogue tape effects. This is Wyatt unhinged and completely let loose
from the agenda of proper album recording: there's no eye on a finished, commercially viable product here, and the scope of the project takes in jazzy
soundscapes like 'Heathens Have No Souls', exquisitely melodic piano pieces like 'L'Albero Degli Zoccoli', vaudevillian vocal tuning experiment 'Billie's
Bounce' and the politicised rant-poem 'Born Again Cretin', about the imprisonment of Nelson Mandela."
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #348 on: August 13, 2009, 10:41:19 pm »
a new radiohead track leaked last night, called "these are my twisted words" (thanks, callat703!).  interesting track, hypnotic and meandering, although it sounds unfinished.  those who care should look it up on youtube, there is a link to the hi-res mp3.

rumor has it (based mostly on the nfo that accompanied the track) that the band will be releasing an EP on monday (8/17) via the intertubez.
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #349 on: August 13, 2009, 10:51:04 pm »
Was aware of the track, not about the supposed EP. I'm not that big on it. It's an OK song, but it sounds like an Amnesiac b-side which was my least favorite RH album.

walkonby

« Reply #350 on: August 14, 2009, 08:46:57 am »
Was aware of the track, not about the supposed EP. I'm not that big on it. It's an OK song, but it sounds like an Amnesiac b-side which was my least favorite RH album.

now don't start claiming you aren't a fan of certain albums of "god like" bands on here . . . some people will e-attack!   ;)

nkotb

« Reply #351 on: August 14, 2009, 09:20:11 am »
I can stand behind the new Flaming Lips song that Pitchfork debuted yesterday.  Not quite as noisy as I'd like it to be, but it's definitely move in vein with their former glory than some of this lightweight, post-Soft Bulletin stuff.

azaghal1981

« Reply #352 on: August 14, 2009, 10:25:46 am »
One of the Animal Collective guys must've found a bootleg of that Robert Wyatt recording somewhere years ago.

Much of it sounds exactly like the vocal improv stuff they do live.
احمد

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #353 on: August 14, 2009, 02:00:51 pm »
New David Sylvian, Manafon, now streaming. Tactile and nontactile versions on 9/14. CD $15.99, deluxe $85.00  :o (but it really is deluxe, for once).
😐 🎶

azaghal1981

« Reply #354 on: August 14, 2009, 02:27:13 pm »
New Lightning Bolt on 11/13 according to TMT

And speaking of TMT, I'm almost sure a contributor or two of theirs lurk(s) this board; almost immediately after I posted the Girls' album release info on here, it went up there.

احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #355 on: August 19, 2009, 07:16:11 pm »
Zak Sally on his new album Fear of Song:

"In typical La Mano fashion, it's a handmade, signed and numbered deal, with me doing the printing i was able to do myself and each copy hand assembled
right here, by me (with some help from my crack intern Maddie and whatever pals i can bribe into helping out).
and this is where we get into some weirdness, because obviously, Zak Sally, is, you know-- ME. so if i were someone else, i could go on about my years
in the minimalist rock trio LOW, (and stints with other outfits such as Enemy Mine, the Dirty Three, Kid Dakota), and how i started making this record
in my basement over a year ago just to see if i could finish ONE SONG (this being something that had been a REAL PROBLEM for the previous 36 years of my
life), but then actually started enjoying the process until finally i went over to my good old friend Ben Durrant's (Andrew Bird, Dosh, tons of great stuff...)
Crazy Beast Studio and slowly tore our hair out strand by strand until, LOOK-- a WHOLE RECORD! NEAT!!
and, if i wasn't me, i could say-- it's a good record. i set myself with the goal of making EVERY SOUND on the thing, and so that's what it sounds like.

it sounds like me.

and, to be honest, whether you like the music or not, i think you'd be hard pressed to find a physical object containing music on it where the artist was
MORE INVOLVED in every aspect of the thing; i mean, i made all the sounds and all that, but i also designed it, and laid it out for printing, then made
the plates (poly, on a hopped-up HP computer printer), then PRINTED the damn thing on my OWN PRESS, and did all the machine trimming and folding, then
HAND GLUED a 4" square to the front of each one then a 2" square to the BACK of each one then HAND folded and taped each sleeve (which i ALSO printed)
and inserted the disc and then just to beat a dead horse i SIGNED AND NUMBERED EACH ONE and shoved it in a vinyl sleeve, and it's just about 97% sure that
I'LL be the guy packing it up and sending it to you, and...look: I DID EVERYTHING BUT MILK THE FUCKING SQUID ON THIS THING. i'm not listing all this to
toot my horn or to impress you (because it's not like someone was holding a gun to my head telling me to do it this way, you know, it's just that this
kind of stuff is WHAT I LIKE), just because...you should know what your $13 bucks is getting you. this isn't a PRODUCT. you know those cd's in jewel cases
or digipaks? well this isn't that. this is something different, and all this is stuff I'D want to know, so i'm telling you here."
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #356 on: August 20, 2009, 10:00:31 am »
20 Worst Album Titles of 2009
SPIN's editors pick the most embarrassing, ridiculous, and confusing record names
http://www.spinmagazine.com/articles/20-worst-album-titles-2009
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #357 on: August 20, 2009, 11:21:14 am »
20 Worst Album Titles of 2009
SPIN's editors pick the most embarrassing, ridiculous, and confusing record names
http://www.spinmagazine.com/articles/20-worst-album-titles-2009

I really hope someone comes out with an album next month called "NBA Action on NBC Vagina"
oword

Relaxer

« Reply #358 on: September 02, 2009, 09:25:57 am »
Goddamn, the new Sunny Day in Glasgow album is incredible
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #359 on: September 02, 2009, 12:19:04 pm »
Completely new lineup, right?
احمد