Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2104659 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #10470 on: June 22, 2022, 02:19:34 pm »
Kate Bush - Aerial

had completely forgotten about the track "Mrs. Bartolozzi that someone smarter than I once said

It revives Bush's obsessive eroticism through an ordinary woman's ecstatic experience of cleaning after a rainstorm, and placing the clothing of her beloved and her own into the washing machine and observing in rapt sexual attention.

T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #10471 on: June 22, 2022, 06:25:04 pm »

The late 60s early 70s soul jazz run of records is something I collect and enjoy….better than the late 60s early 70s run on Blue Note which began to noticeably slide when Alfred Lion sold the label.

This session from March 1970 has somewhat of a dream lineup with Boogaloo on guitar, Rusty Bryant on sax, Charles Earland on organ and Pretty Purdie on drums

Starsky

« Reply #10472 on: June 22, 2022, 09:15:34 pm »

Public Enemy was by far the biggest rap act 1987-1991. They were absolutely huge. It was no contest. They may have been the biggest act period. Just dominated

Then they just like fell off the planet or something. Like so bad…

Was it because a bunch of stuff kept coming out about how they and their production team and/or Professor Griff or Terminator X were anti-semitic? Sure seems like they just disappeared or were disappeared.  Maybe the follow up to Fear of a black planet sucked but man suddenly they just disappeared! Plenty of bands peak and have weak follow ups and still say around! These guys just dropped off the planet in 1992. It was just bizarre.

When I was in grad school Chuck D did some event I attended..just talking…then I finally saw them at Virgin Freefest…I thought they killed it but the act did wear a bit thin you know with Flavor running around with his clock yelling YO YO Chuck!!!

It’s sad that they became a complete joke. It doesn’t even make sense. They had three great albums! So innovative and influential

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10473 on: June 23, 2022, 11:46:42 am »
The Handcuffs - O' Canada O' Canada

https://youtu.be/dNLh1YekaPI

O’ Canada O’ Canada
Look what you’ve done
You’ve ruined my appreciation for the rest of the world
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #10474 on: June 23, 2022, 01:27:58 pm »

A seminal album in my life. It defined 1998 for me. I introduced so many friends to this…

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10475 on: June 23, 2022, 03:08:10 pm »
Breakmaster Cylinder on the final episode of Reply All

vansmack

« Reply #10476 on: June 23, 2022, 04:49:14 pm »

Belle and Sebastian was by far the biggest Scottish Indie pop act 1998-2003. They were absolutely huge (in the UK). It was no contest. They may have been the biggest act to ever come out of Scotland. Just dominated

Was it because a bunch of stuff kept coming out about how they changed labels and sold out?  Was it the departure of the other Stuart? Sure seems like they just disappeared or were disappeared.  Maybe the follow up to Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant sucked but man suddenly they just disappeared! Plenty of bands peak and have weak follow ups and still say around! These guys just dropped off the planet in 2003. It was just bizarre.

When I was in law school Stuart M did some event I attended...just talking…then I finally saw them at the 9:30…I thought they killed it but the act did wear a bit thin you know with Sarah just standing there, playing a million instruments and Stuart toyed with the crowds emotions and even joined them at one point!!

It’s sad that they became a complete joke. It doesn’t even make sense. They had three great albums! So innovative and influential
27>34

Starsky

« Reply #10477 on: June 23, 2022, 04:51:09 pm »
I see what you did there and I like it!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10478 on: June 23, 2022, 04:58:02 pm »

Belle and Sebastian was by far the biggest Scottish Indie pop act 1998-2003. They were absolutely huge (in the UK). It was no contest. They may have been the biggest act to ever come out of Scotland. Just dominated

Was it because a bunch of stuff kept coming out about how they changed labels and sold out?  Was it the departure of the other Stuart? Sure seems like they just disappeared or were disappeared.  Maybe the follow up to Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant sucked but man suddenly they just disappeared! Plenty of bands peak and have weak follow ups and still say around! These guys just dropped off the planet in 2003. It was just bizarre.

When I was in law school Stuart M did some event I attended...just talking…then I finally saw them at the 9:30…I thought they killed it but the act did wear a bit thin you know with Sarah just standing there, playing a million instruments and Stuart toyed with the crowds emotions and even joined them at one point!!

Oh, Bravo. POTW.

I’m guessing you got the same 1:15am EST text from The Director this morning as well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 05:02:38 pm by Julian, Adroit TASTEMAKER »
LVMH

Starsky

« Reply #10479 on: June 23, 2022, 05:06:16 pm »
I just feel they started and peaked earlier

It’s more like 1996-2000

« Reply #10480 on: June 23, 2022, 05:13:10 pm »
I see what you did there and I like it!
ack...I'm really trying to figure out the joke here, but it's going over my head
did he write it in a Hutch style review
slack

vansmack

« Reply #10481 on: June 23, 2022, 06:01:07 pm »
I’m guessing you got the same 1:15am EST text from The Director this morning as well.

Can confirm.  10:11PM my time...
27>34

Starsky

« Reply #10482 on: June 23, 2022, 06:08:48 pm »
Yeah man it’s a really clever parody of my post above about Public Enemy!

« Reply #10483 on: June 23, 2022, 06:10:13 pm »
Yeah man it’s a really clever parody of my post above about Public Enemy!
fuck, how'd I miss that
slack

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #10484 on: June 24, 2022, 10:00:09 am »
some banging Teen Mortgage on Spotify.  Their first EP is really good. Local band