Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2095469 times)

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #10485 on: June 24, 2022, 12:16:23 pm »
Miley Cyrus, Joan Jett & Laura Jane Grace - Androgynous
not a world class version, but such a great song

I have always loved everything about let it be
I recall a 15 yr old hatch asking a junior high teacher what Androgynous meant after listening to this song
slack

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10486 on: June 24, 2022, 12:40:15 pm »
Music that makes me happy and then some certified Friday Afternoon jams...

T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #10487 on: June 24, 2022, 02:16:02 pm »

Starsky

« Reply #10488 on: June 24, 2022, 09:25:09 pm »

Eddie Harris gets a nice shoutout in the Beastie Boys book

Mobius

« Reply #10489 on: June 24, 2022, 10:50:08 pm »
Plug me in like I was Eddie Harris . . .Check Your Head was so great

Space Freely

« Reply #10490 on: June 27, 2022, 11:42:35 am »
Wilco-Cruel Country. A grower for sure. Definitely some Dead influences. You have to be in the right mood. Like on the drive back home from a long hike. That's a good time to listen.

Angel Olsen-Big Time. Like the Wilco album mostly slow in tempo. So listen when you're in the mood. Lots of retro-country sounds, great voice though just like Wilco, it's not really a country album.

Michael Rault- self titled. This sounds like a Mike Love solo album from the early 70's. I'm digging it. On Daptone.

Kelley Stoltz- The Stylist. This guy releases great power pop album after great powerr pop album, and never seems to get any attention. I checked his touring history, and I don't think he's every played around here. Mostly West Coast and overseas.

Theo Croker-Love Quantum. Jazz/soul/hip hop trumpeter in a Kamasi Washington vein. Really cool stuff. Perfect to play while you're making and eating your Sunday morning omelette.

The Regrettes-Further Joy. All girl hooky punky pop from LA. Saw them on the Bonaroo broadcast on Hulu and was hooked.

Billy Strings-Renewal. Also saw him on the Bonaroo broadcast. I'm a bit late to the party, but when he's doing straight bluegrass, it's the best new bluegrass I've heard in the last 15 years.

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #10491 on: June 27, 2022, 11:55:28 am »
I always assumed this thread was to show what music you are listening to right now (the moment you are writing your response).  See Hutch's responses with actual pictures for reference.  I think Space's response goes against the spirit of this thread, and I will totally ignore it and even express my disdain with his response (see my response) , but that is just my opinion. 

Wilco-Cruel Country. A grower for sure. Definitely some Dead influences. You have to be in the right mood. Like on the drive back home from a long hike. That's a good time to listen.

Angel Olsen-Big Time. Like the Wilco album mostly slow in tempo. So listen when you're in the mood. Lots of retro-country sounds, great voice though just like Wilco, it's not really a country album.

Michael Rault- self titled. This sounds like a Mike Love solo album from the early 70's. I'm digging it. On Daptone.

Kelley Stoltz- The Stylist. This guy releases great power pop album after great powerr pop album, and never seems to get any attention. I checked his touring history, and I don't think he's every played around here. Mostly West Coast and overseas.

Theo Croker-Love Quantum. Jazz/soul/hip hop trumpeter in a Kamasi Washington vein. Really cool stuff. Perfect to play while you're making and eating your Sunday morning omelette.

The Regrettes-Further Joy. All girl hooky punky pop from LA. Saw them on the Bonaroo broadcast on Hulu and was hooked.

Billy Strings-Renewal. Also saw him on the Bonaroo broadcast. I'm a bit late to the party, but when he's doing straight bluegrass, it's the best new bluegrass I've heard in the last 15 years.

Space Freely

« Reply #10492 on: June 27, 2022, 12:13:23 pm »
Remember Day 1 of this thread when Chulahoma noted that they were listening to three different bands? Remember Day 12 when K8teebug was listening to an entire Tom Waits collection and three other bands? Remember 15 years ago when there were a lot more people other than Hutch posting in this thread?

K8teebug

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 04:07:00 pm »
I'm listening to the Tom Waits collection as well.  It's awesome so far. 

Also listening to the new CYHSY, Lily Allen, and Islands (finally).  Enjoying all of them.

« Reply #10493 on: June 27, 2022, 12:17:00 pm »
So my opinion is, space's post was more of a musicological banter, rather than what I'm listening to

I do think you can only listen to one thing at a time and that's what you post

but do we really need rules?
slack

Yada

« Reply #10494 on: June 27, 2022, 12:30:42 pm »
So my opinion is, space's post was more of a musicological banter, rather than what I'm listening to

I do think you can only listen to one thing at a time and that's what you post

but do we really need rules?

I have it on good authority that space has 8 different sonos zones streaming music from different services all playing at the same time.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10495 on: June 27, 2022, 12:51:42 pm »
I think Space's response goes against the spirit of this thread, and I will totally ignore it and even express my disdain with his response (see my response) , but that is just my opinion. 

i strongly disagree with your opinion.  no specific time frame is implied by "what are you listening to?".  the question implies some degree of immediacy but "what are you listening to now?" is just as valid as "what are you listening to these days?"
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #10496 on: June 27, 2022, 01:10:45 pm »

I recall a 15 yr old hatch asking a junior high teacher what Androgynous meant after listening to this song

I saw a video of Joan Jett doing this song solo the other day (I think with band but without Miley and that other thing), and it sounded like an old Jewish lady doing karaoke; grabbing her crotch as she performed.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10497 on: June 27, 2022, 01:23:45 pm »
just a little transphobia there ::)
T.Rex

« Reply #10498 on: June 27, 2022, 01:26:44 pm »

I saw a video of Joan Jett doing this song solo the other day (I think with band but without Miley and that other thing), and it sounded like an old Jewish lady doing karaoke; grabbing her crotch as she performed.
not sure I had the same feeling, but I really don't like the joan jett solo version of this
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10499 on: June 27, 2022, 01:32:55 pm »
See I think I prefer the Space posting style, with reviews and reflections. I appreciate the additional content / context rather than just a picture of some blurry vinyl being spun, often without any supporting information...like artist, album, song.

Space really gets to the why, not just the what.  Do we need a "Why are you listening to Whatever you're listening to?" thread?