Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2081685 times)

Starsky

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #10665 on: September 21, 2022, 01:28:31 pm »
Probably my favorite song ever. How did this song not break Joy Division?

https://www.discogs.com/release/29008-Joy-Division-Love-Will-Tear-Us-Apart

Starsky

« Reply #10666 on: September 21, 2022, 02:24:01 pm »
And this was my favorite album for many years…now I just don’t have a clear cut favorite…for a while Disintegration, Blood on the Tracks, American Beauty… the extra cd in the reissue is worthless… neworder we’re one lazy bunch

com vietnamese

The singles got a lot of airplay on Argentine FM radio and I just fell in love. Imagine a year later , now in the US at college, ordering Joy Division Unknown Pleasures….wow…
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 02:29:05 pm by Starsky »

« Reply #10667 on: September 21, 2022, 02:43:57 pm »
Probably my favorite song ever. How did this song not break Joy Division?
single was released the month after his suicide.
I think it was fairly huge in the UK?

oddly it hit #42 on US Billboard Disco Top 100 in 1980
slack

« Reply #10668 on: September 21, 2022, 02:45:43 pm »
Imagine a year later , now in the US at college, ordering Joy Division Unknown Pleasures….wow…
yeah, quite a shocker for me too, was a huge NO fan and someone told me about the original band, went out and bought Still and was like...there is no way this is the same band?!
slack

Starsky

« Reply #10669 on: September 22, 2022, 12:10:15 pm »

The recording quality is not great to say the least but the album cover is to die for; a rare David Stone Martin cover commissioned by a collector of DSM art in 1985. I was not aware of it’s existence.

« Reply #10670 on: September 22, 2022, 12:50:53 pm »
this is a cool DSM cover I came across

(yes I'm aware their are TONS of jazz albums he did)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 12:53:27 pm by Special-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #10671 on: September 25, 2022, 07:43:49 pm »
Picked this up at Plan 9 today for $3

Nice DSM.

Honestly just bought it for cover…maybe a silly thing to do…as Dixieland music does nothing for me

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10672 on: September 25, 2022, 11:47:36 pm »
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #10673 on: September 26, 2022, 12:20:40 am »

Bagley

« Reply #10674 on: September 27, 2022, 10:32:00 am »
Ween's Baby Bitch on XM to jumpstart my morning...

Starsky

« Reply #10675 on: September 28, 2022, 08:21:43 am »

GAY,GUY

« Reply #10676 on: September 28, 2022, 10:58:32 am »
I am finally through Meddle. I am slow, and find that I listen to podcasts more than music lately; the surest sign of my age. God, that first song, One of These Days, just blows you right on out and gives the indication that this album is "the later years origin stuff" that I have been looking for! I knew instantly I had heard the song before without knowing the title, but it did not ruin the sheer power of it. A Pillow of Winds was kind of a disappointment as I did not like the singing style of it at all. But man oh man oh man, when Fearless starts . . . you are taken to that Pink Floyd place where the past mental problems crawl out of. The singing style is still bothering me here, but the lyrics come across as so impressive and flowing with the guitar riffs!

San Tropez is fucking awful, sounding like a Grateful Dead throwaway. And what the hell is Seamus, but a song that I can tell sounds wonderful in rooms overflowing with bourbon and marijuana smoke. And then there was Echoes; the final cut bridge homage to what was coming from them later musically, as if they could foreshadow witness the icons of those three albums that I feel define them as a band. The ending of Echoes, when they come in like a cannonball shot singing at mark 19:13 to form what seems like a new song altogether, it is there you see the Pink Floyd that I lost my mind to from ages 16 to 19.

I am now curious, what Obscured by Clouds sounds like!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 11:02:39 am by Walk,on,by »

« Reply #10677 on: September 28, 2022, 11:06:25 am »
San Tropez is fucking awful, sounding like a Grateful Dead throwaway. And what the hell is Seamus, but a song that I can tell sounds wonderful in rooms overflowing with bourbon and marijuana smoke.
Ok this accurate and often just 'skip track' 
thankfully the two shortest songs

dang....https://longlivevinyl.net/2018/04/06/pink-floyds-meddle-sells-for-4400-on-discogs/

some more interesting notes on San Tropez

The album was loosely based on Pink Floyd's life around this time. The whole band went to  San Tropez with their then-girlfriends and had a great peaceful time, hence the peaceful nature of this song and the title.

San Tropez is not an island. It's a village whose real name is Saint Tropez on the french rivera
Although this song is dominated by Wright's piano (and even a great jazzy solo by him), this was one of the first cases where Waters had written an entire song (on acoustic guitar) and brought it to the group complete with no changes necessary. Wright was a big fan of Duke Ellington. He said Duke's concert in London was the only time in his life that he stood in line for a ticket!

also that the town now noted tourist beach spot was one of the Allied Landings that would play a large part in the liberation of France in 1944 (Operation Dragoon) and waters often used WWII for song inspirations

too be fair, I didn't really discover Meddle until the last decade
Had a friend who used to play echos after passing around the bong, but skipped all the other stuff
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 11:22:21 am by Special-hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #10678 on: September 28, 2022, 01:12:18 pm »
Love St Tropez.

I bought this LP in Argentina but lost it or had it stolen when I moved back and left some records in storage with my old landlady. I had bought it for a song too. What are the odds? Anyways it’s bugged me until today. Bought an original sealed pressing recently. I feel whole after 20 plus years of missing it. Such a great record. There is a great little story in Bob Dylan’s Chronicles about him going over to Woody’s to pick up some lyrics but not making it cause of a snowstorm. He presumes these lyrics were the same as the ones Nora gave to Billy Bragg which turned into this record.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #10679 on: September 28, 2022, 01:13:14 pm »
Was literally in St Tropez less than 30 days ago.
LVMH