Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2103782 times)

Starsky

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #9615 on: August 27, 2021, 10:00:55 am »
I don’t get Bitches Brew

Bagley

« Reply #9616 on: August 27, 2021, 10:08:40 am »

Jerry’s own test pressing of Europe 72….

That's awesome.  Europe 72 was my introduction to the Grateful Dead and I've been a devout follower of the band ever since.  I contemplated picking up the full collection of that tour when it was released a few years ago but it was a little too pricey.

You never know what that Hutch will pull out of his bag of tricks next.  Silly rabbit.

Bagley

« Reply #9617 on: August 27, 2021, 10:10:42 am »
I don’t get Bitches Brew

Hmmmm...surprised to hear that.  What about On The Corner?

« Reply #9618 on: August 27, 2021, 10:15:53 am »
.  What about On The Corner?
to me..a weird but fun one
would have been such a fun time to have been a fan...like totally different thing can he come up next
but I'm the last one to get jazz reco's from
slack

Yada

« Reply #9619 on: August 27, 2021, 10:54:24 am »

Other You - Steve Gunn

« Reply #9620 on: August 27, 2021, 11:13:31 am »
Other You - Steve Gunn
what he did with the 2021 Suicide Squad was outstanding
slack

Yada

« Reply #9621 on: August 27, 2021, 01:04:17 pm »
Other You - Steve Gunn

I unfortunately don't get this reference and/or joke.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9622 on: August 27, 2021, 01:06:44 pm »

James Skelly & The Intenders - Love Undercover

this must be the Ricky that was returned to it's original owner
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 01:08:58 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

« Reply #9623 on: August 27, 2021, 01:07:58 pm »
Other You - Steve Gunn

No fun when you don't get the joke
The Suicide Squad (2021)

was written and directed by James Gunn
Highly recommended viewing with the golden teacher
slack

« Reply #9624 on: August 27, 2021, 01:08:25 pm »
James Skelly & The Intenders - Love Undercover
saw that Ricky is on the cover!
slack

Yada

« Reply #9625 on: August 27, 2021, 01:25:29 pm »
Other You - Steve Gunn

No fun when you don't get the joke
The Suicide Squad (2021)

was written and directed by James Gunn
Highly recommended viewing with the golden teacher

Steve's cousin?

« Reply #9626 on: August 27, 2021, 01:42:40 pm »
come on man
it's a board trope to say Bryan Adams, when the post is about Ryan Adams...that is where I was going
You said Steve Gunn and I posted about something done by James Gunn, knowing full well that they are not the same person

who knows they may be related?
slack

Yada

« Reply #9627 on: August 27, 2021, 01:53:48 pm »
come on man
it's a board trope to say Bryan Adams, when the post is about Ryan Adams...that is where I was going
You said Steve Gunn and I posted about something done by James Gunn, knowing full well that they are not the same person

who knows they may be related?

ohhhhhh!!!!

Starsky

« Reply #9628 on: August 27, 2021, 02:35:36 pm »

One of the reasons I got into record collecting was that back in the day -late 90s early 2000s - stuff on cd was expensive, a lot of the old stuff was either not on CDs or transferred haphazardly and nobody seemed to want the records which looked great, represented the original intention/vision of the artist for release, sounded great etc.  It allowed me to listen to all kinds of music cheaply and discover entire new genres… growing up today I would just stream or listen to stuff on YouTube I suppose…

It still happens that I find and discover something new to me and cool but far less often

Like today I went to the record store and found this LP for a buck..anyways what jumped up at me was the name Christlieb cause he played sax on a ton of Tom Waits 70s stuff…including my current favorite by Tom Nighthawks at the Diner… so I was like what the heck… when I got home I saw there was a song - Rapunzel- that I had never heard off written by Walter Becker and Donald Fagen of Steely Dan (pretty much my current favorite band)…then I noticed the entire album was produced by them! Score… apparently Christlieb played the legendary saxophone solo on Deacon Blues and a few months later Fagen and Becker returned the favor by producing this album… it’s straight ahead jazz… Warner Brothers wasn’t even releasing new jazz in 1978 but they did this time.. obviously the Dan was hot having just put out the Aja album so Warner made an exception
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:53:52 pm by Starsky »

Starsky

« Reply #9629 on: August 27, 2021, 03:22:00 pm »

Ennio Morricone is someone I will alwaypick up for cheap

Soundtracks usually bore me but ever since hearing his stuff on the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns and then his brilliant work on Almodovar’s Átame, I always pick him up

A few years ago I was reading Bernard Sumner’s autobiography where he goes on about how much Ennio’s work meant to him - I had never realized Blue Monday was influenced by Ennio but now I can’t not hear it… then I was reading that autobiography by one of the Pogues and he goes on about in their early days they would drive around listening to Ennio’s soundtrack all tour long..

Anyways I put this on and I swear to god New Order’s Elegía definitely got something from the music to the title song (sung by Baez)…really reminds me of it

I paid $3 but note old $0.99 sticker from 6-14 and based on typesetting fairly confident this was purchased from the dollar bin at Som Records on 14th Street… I don’t get out there much but when I lived off of 14th those dollar bins where the best in town..not even close…made me regret moving