Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2103292 times)

Starsky

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #9630 on: August 27, 2021, 04:19:19 pm »
.  What about On The Corner?
to me..a weird but fun one
would have been such a fun time to have been a fan...like totally different thing can he come up next
but I'm the last one to get jazz reco's from

Oh I don’t know .. you had some cool jazz CDs when I met you…some of my earliest exposure to jazz: things like Grant Green, Charlie Parker, Dizzy…more am sure I forget

« Reply #9631 on: August 27, 2021, 04:29:52 pm »
is it just me or does Dizzy not get the respect he deserves

was he too white bread to parker's whacked out manifestos
slack

Starsky

« Reply #9632 on: August 27, 2021, 04:59:43 pm »
is it just me or does Dizzy not get the respect he deserves

was he too white bread to parker's whacked out manifestos

Other than Dizzy’s Afro-Cuban stuff which arguably has a lot to do with guys like Machito and Chico O’Farrill- and of course his bebop work with Charlie Parker and on his own- his stuff from the late 50s on is just not very appreciated..the records are a dime a dozen… I can’t think of one I or most people really value…

I think this hurts his reputation although he is considered one of the bebop pioneers and respected

I mean just compare his evolution to his successor in Parker’s quintet, Miles. Davis reinvented himself many times…kept pushing limits and exploring. Dizzy tread much more conservative ground. It’s not really Gillespie’s fault that his career went on so long from one boring record to the next…he put in his 15 years of creativity…  Louis Armstrong is sort of the same….very appreciated for his 1920s-1930s stuff and then nothing (although I like some of his stuff)

Maybe there was also a bit of backlash against Armstrong and Gillespie got being considered too willing to smile for white people and not doing enough for black people… Satchmo was definitely considered an Uncle Tom… I think Miles couldn’t stand that about him…

Guys like Ellington that are able to find popular acceptance over decades are rare but even he recorded a lot of records that do nothing for most people

Starsky

« Reply #9633 on: August 27, 2021, 05:09:47 pm »
And I don’t think Dizzy is whitebread on those early bebop masterpieces

But we have to admit that Dizzy did write a lot of early bebop novelty type numbers like Salt Peanuts, right?

It’s hard for those funny bebop tunes to connect across multiple generations

Whereas Bird wailing away on the changes to the harmonic scale (note: not sure if this is what he did cause I don’t get it) of Gershwin’s I got rhythm to come up with seven different bebop masterpieces seems pretty out there

Starsky

« Reply #9634 on: August 28, 2021, 03:33:09 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9635 on: August 28, 2021, 04:07:04 pm »
I saw Dizzy perform at least a couple times growing up and Salt Peanuts was one his standards, wouldn’t consider it novelty song
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #9636 on: August 29, 2021, 02:08:02 am »
Good point

Starsky

« Reply #9637 on: August 29, 2021, 11:20:24 am »
I guess I was thinking of something like He beeped when he shoulda bopped

But I just don’t know all that much about early Dizzy

In a way he was the face/public image of be bop

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9638 on: August 29, 2021, 12:44:52 pm »
With the passing of Charlie Parker, Dizzy probably was the public face of BeBop, but you also had Dexter Gordon, Bud Powell and Monk…

My dad having grown up listening to Big Band was a big fan of BeBop in particular the Four Brothers out of Woody Herman’s band.  The best known of which were Stan Getz and Zoot Sims.

And for further proof of dad’s coolness, he at one point was driving around Columbus a young  Roland Kirk better known as Rashsaan Roland Kirk
T.Rex

Yada

« Reply #9639 on: August 29, 2021, 01:35:40 pm »

A new album hasn't hit me like this in a while... great listen.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9640 on: August 30, 2021, 08:03:07 am »
on brand

Lee Scratch Perry - Arkology

T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #9641 on: August 30, 2021, 10:54:37 am »

Nara Leao - Ventó de Maio (1967)

Starsky

« Reply #9642 on: August 30, 2021, 08:25:06 pm »

Elis Regina - Elis (1972)

Starsky

« Reply #9643 on: August 31, 2021, 11:17:05 am »

I couldn’t resist buying another original copy of this but it’s pretty banged up… should have resisted!

I do think this is one of his masterpieces and am enjoying it.. as always

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9644 on: August 31, 2021, 01:46:59 pm »
Working through my stack of 15 Light In The Attic and so far enjoying what was sent my way
-
Ray Stinnett - A Fire Somewhere... Ray was the guitarist on "Wooly Bully" and then spent some time during the "Summer Of Love" in Haight Ashbury.  He later resurfaced in Memphis and recorded this never released record which combines Memphis Soul and psych-folk

Karin Krog - Don't Just Sing - An anthology of her work recorded in Norway where she is household name for her post-bop vocals.

Charles "Packy" Axton - Late Late Party - Best know as tenor sax player in the Stax house band the Mar-Keys a collection from the other groups he recorded

National Wake - Walk In Africa 1979-81 - Anthology for a bi-racial garage band from South Africa

Jim Sullivan - best known for having disappeared somewhere between CA  and Nashville

T.Rex