Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2096756 times)

SPARX

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #1650 on: April 23, 2009, 12:59:57 pm »
New York Dolls and Johnny Thunders/Heartbreakers

I know I'm way late to the party on this, but holy sh*t, I had no idea.  Came across a New York Dolls concert from the Matrix in SF from 1973 or 74 on YouTube and it blew me away.  I had thought they were 'kitsch' and Johnny Thunders was just a junkie cartoon character . . . I should have known better . . . they were pure rock and roll and Thunders was incredible . . .

Better late than never

sonickteam2

« Reply #1651 on: April 23, 2009, 03:58:28 pm »

has to be the freshest thing hip-hop has seen in a few years.

killsaly

« Reply #1652 on: April 27, 2009, 03:34:59 pm »

SOC ECO - 3D
Newest group of Dean Garcia from Curve. 

nkotb

« Reply #1653 on: April 27, 2009, 03:40:17 pm »
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
It's Blitz!

At least the album cover is exciting...

Refused
The Shape of Punk to Come

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to fully get back into this record.  Like Pearl Jam, I feel listening to the original can be watered down by all of the shit that came afterward.  But by the middle of "Liberation Frequency", I remember why this slays.

jd930

« Reply #1654 on: April 27, 2009, 04:33:23 pm »

brennser

« Reply #1655 on: April 27, 2009, 08:57:49 pm »

This song makes the Silversun Pickups CD seem like that "3 Dollar bill" record by Limp Bizkit, with the George Michael cover and everything...

Yes, the new Metric album is really good.  Every song is great.

I'll add to the praise for this album - one of the best of the year so far for me

sonickteam2

« Reply #1656 on: April 27, 2009, 10:01:38 pm »

Refused
The Shape of Punk to Come

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to fully get back into this record.  Like Pearl Jam, I feel listening to the original can be watered down by all of the shit that came afterward.  But by the middle of "Liberation Frequency", I remember why this slays.

this is easily one of the 10 best records ever made in my opinion. it was great, after Fall Out Boy left the stage saturday night, the PA system blasted "New Noise"  the kids didnt really seem to know what to do so they just left, almost scared!

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1657 on: April 28, 2009, 01:24:08 am »

SOC ECO - 3D
Newest group of Dean Garcia from Curve. 

Funny, I was just coming in here to post this very CD.

Quite nice! What do you think?

Btw, did you order that 93MilllionMilesFromTheSun CD? Mine is currently over the Atlantic. Can't flipping wait for that one to arrive! Have you heard their promo CD or anything from it? Of course, I've got several cuts in regular rotation on Air Atlantic Underground. Rob and Nick sent out these full length promos last summer to a limited amount of friends and fans. I was lucky enough to get one as most within our circle were. We all placed that promo in our best of 2008 releases because it was so amazingly good. Can't wait to hear what they did with the official release. That promo was jam packed full (almost an hour's worth!) of very good music. If I know we will see each other sometime, I can give you a CD-r. Because of a certain trust factor I need to maintain, I absolutely never, ever let promos out but since they freely gave these out to the gang, I know they won't mind. You're gonna love it! 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 01:33:10 am by Jaguar »

killsaly

« Reply #1658 on: April 28, 2009, 10:59:49 pm »
Nice I definitely want to check that out.  The official album is really good.  Lots of guitar effects, unintelligible singing, droning riffs, etc.  In other words, it is some good noise! I didnt get the hard copy, just the digital download that they have. 

As for SPC ECO, they are now on my sleep playlist on my ipod.  They reminded me of Ulrich Schnauss. 

I hope both bands play shows around here in the near future...

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #1659 on: April 29, 2009, 01:58:15 am »
I've been listening to this band Dominique on the Kompakt label. They're perfect.

They released an album called "More Love Now" last year, and it rules. Richard Davis, who is a microhouse producer/singer, known for his work with Superpitcher and Michael Mayer, is a core member of the band. I *love* them.

http://www.myspace.com/dominiquetheband

"Lad" is pretty fucking phenomenal.
Woof.

Relaxer

« Reply #1660 on: April 29, 2009, 09:41:18 am »
The Future of the Left's 2nd release this year, following the live one, is pretty great. Definitely has the McLusky vibe going and it rocks.

New Meat Puppets is good but I need to stop hoping for another II or Up on the Sun. New one is similar to Rise To Your Knees in that it sounds great, the songs are good, but its not particularly compelling.

Listened to half of the new Sonic Youth yesterday. It's okay but I haven't been too excited about anything they've done in awhile, other than Sonic Nurse.

Jason Lytle's first solo one is pretty damn good and is growing on me. Naturally it sounds a bit like Grandaddy but kind goes on that whole "solo debut" route with the sweeping strings et al. Doesn't hold a candle to Sophtware or Sumday but I've been playing it for a week or so.

The-Dream Love vs. Money -- Checked this out because of all the hype and it's pretty damn good! I'm not much of a R&B fan, but this is seriously catchy and well-produced pop in the R. Kelly vein.

The new Gallows album just leaked last night so am really looking forward to hearing that one.
oword

« Reply #1661 on: April 29, 2009, 09:54:44 am »
One of the five best albums of the 90's.

Boo-Tay!

The son of country legend Bobby Bare, Bare Jr.'s music bears only a passing resemblance to that of his father. Sure, there's plenty of traditional country roots that can be heard in the grooves of Boo-Tay -- how could you grow up in Nashville during the '70s with folks like Johnny Cash and George Jones hanging around your house and not soak up some of their influence? For Bare Jr., however, country is not a means to an end but rather another ingredient to throw into an energetic musical gumbo that includes healthy portions of Southern rock and punkish intensity. The songs on Boo-Tay don't just pour out of your stereo speakers, they reach out and grab you by the ears, Bare Jr. kicking out the jams with a vigor that surely had Hank Williams spinning in his grave. Bare's wonderfully imperfect vocals often spiral out of control like a drunken dervish, while guitarist Mike Grimes tears off fleshy, razor-sharp riffs like some sort of bloodthirsty predator. Bare's songs tread familiar lyrical ground, albeit with his own peculiar individual fingerprints, the subject matter on Boo-Tay ranging from self-loathing and lost innocence to betrayal and woefully unrequited love. Cuts like "The Most," "Faker," "Why Don't You Love Me," and the wickedly dark "I Hate Myself" (written with family friend Shel Silverstein) are overflowing with brilliant imagery, not-so-subtle wordplay, and hard-rocking instrumentation, the band adding just enough twang to convince you that they hail from Nashville. One of the more auspicious debut albums of the late '90s, Bare Jr. the band delivered a swift kick to the backside of alternative country and country-rock poseurs alike with Boo-Tay.

bull930

« Reply #1662 on: April 30, 2009, 07:26:14 pm »

has to be the freshest thing hip-hop has seen in a few years.

They took from Frankie Valli but it's cool!!!!!!

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #1663 on: May 02, 2009, 04:44:15 am »
The new St. Vincent is jawdroppingly good.

"Laughing with a Mouth of Blood", "Black Rainbow", "Just the Same But Brand New", "The Strangers"...all phenomenal songs.

Anyone who caught her show at the Rock and Roll Hotel in Feb 2008 caught a preview of "The Neighbors", as she was roadtesting it then!
Woof.

hutch

« Reply #1664 on: May 02, 2009, 10:17:51 am »
car talk