Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2082529 times)

Starsky

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #10560 on: August 01, 2022, 08:24:48 pm »

I haven’t listened to Patsy in like five years…way too long. Not sure why.

I like this late 80s version of her Greatest Hits cause of the album cover. The original greatest hits has her looking like a housewife or something. Obviously the record label decided in 1988 that times were changing.

The song selection and performances on this are unimpeachable.

I believe Patsy was from Winchester Virginia or thereabouts…The younger Loretta Lynn was a good friend of Patsys and I saw her play in Winchester…she talked about Patsy being from there…

Patsy’s death really was a great loss.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #10561 on: August 02, 2022, 03:11:14 pm »

Boris - No

Jeebus I don't know why I thought of Boris as a drone band. This is full frontal metallic assault. I'm not sure I could handle a full show of this. Shame, I was all ready to go.

Any chance of a dirt cheap Rage ticket for tonight? SubHub prices seem high still...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10562 on: August 02, 2022, 04:37:44 pm »
Any chance of a dirt cheap Rage ticket for tonight? SubHub prices seem high still...

well, you can get cheap seats for less than face, so at least you can get in for less than what others paid.  also, there's a second show tomorrow so if you can't get anything decent tonight try, try again. 
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #10563 on: August 02, 2022, 07:45:02 pm »

Closest thing we are probably going to get to a new Manu Chao album…..first one in 15 years

« Reply #10564 on: August 02, 2022, 08:52:48 pm »

Closest thing we are probably going to get to a new Manu Chao album…..first one in 15 years
Well, how is it ?
slack

Starsky

« Reply #10565 on: August 03, 2022, 09:27:06 am »
That’s a tough question to answer….it’s not so much an album as a compilation of tracks cut between 2017-21 with a reggae producer. I’m digging it but only time tells….the usual very comfy loose reggae vibe… I think Manu Chao is a part of my cultural DNA by this point….so engrained… so it’s impossible to be objective. For whatever reason after about 2001 Manu Chao for all practical purposes ended as a public creative and sales force. I mean this album is basically a private release with no PR. He just doesn’t care about putting out new music….certainly doesn’t care about selling it or even touring the US again. He’s just been gone from the music biz. But at the same time he just does things DIY. The Joe Strummer influence is really strong with him. I noticed he is doing some shows in Europe.

This is really up there as one of my favorite live recordings ever..a stoned radio session in Genoa during the protests partying and making music with a bunch of  friends from all over the place. It’s so intimate you feel like you are there with him..on a couple of songs everyone is so stoned they miss Manu’s cues

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7rB2MDAVp1c&list=PLup-Wl0rHZ9M5lsfEPQd73SFeDRjBaXx9
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 11:13:32 am by Starsky »

Starsky

« Reply #10566 on: August 05, 2022, 12:05:21 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10567 on: August 07, 2022, 07:36:49 am »
Healing Potpourri

Perfect Sunday morning listening, well done 60s psychedelic inspired chamber pop. 

Their new one Paradise is produced by Sean O’Hagan (The High Llamas/Stereolab)

https://linktr.ee/healingpotpourri
T.Rex

Starsky

« Reply #10569 on: August 08, 2022, 07:10:56 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10570 on: August 09, 2022, 12:29:04 pm »
Everything is better when "Bootsified to the Nth Degree"

Deee-Lite Groove is in the heart
https://youtu.be/y5tkqM2LS_w

also learned much about what was sampled for this, the whole drum break and slide whistle for example was sampled... bassline is from a Herbie Hancock track from the Blow UP soundtrack..
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10571 on: August 09, 2022, 02:53:34 pm »
I've been trying to find out if there is a version of the ultra classic Rob Base & DJ Easy Rock "It Takes Two" where the line "Fuck The Big Mac" isn't bleeped.  But, it would appear it's always been "clean" at least on the record and singles...

what's funny is I was watching this version from live at the Apollo and right as the line "I like the Whopper, Fuck The Big Mac" happens around the 3:10 mark Rob puts his hands and mic in the air, so he's rapping on top of his own vocals and the bleep is still there.

https://youtu.be/890tquVAhD8

what's funny even on a compilation with a prominent Parental Warning sticker on it's still bleeped

« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 02:59:39 pm by kosmo vinyl »
T.Rex

« Reply #10572 on: August 09, 2022, 03:26:53 pm »
so he's rapping on top of his own vocals and the bleep is still there.

umm, seems like he's mostly lipsyncing
slack

Starsky

« Reply #10573 on: August 10, 2022, 11:44:05 am »

Starsky

« Reply #10574 on: August 10, 2022, 12:13:20 pm »

I remember when I first heard these guys in 1990. I liked them instantly and became a huge fan. It’s a shame they couldn’t keep it up.