Author Topic: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux  (Read 219055 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2013, 12:15:06 pm »
jesus . . . if only people had this much passion about poverty, homelessness, the government working, jobs, the deficit, racism, etc.  if only.

hutch

« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2013, 12:18:13 pm »
jesus . . . if only people had this much passion about poverty, homelessness, the government working, jobs, the deficit, racism, etc.  if only.

How do you infer I don't have even more passion about those issues?

Obviously posting about anything related to politics on this board is a recipe for disaster... moreover, when you get a bit older you realize most people have their own opinions and are pretty much only interested in that which confirms them...

hutch

« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2013, 12:24:47 pm »
Cowher and Briles top list...

atomic

« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2013, 01:08:58 pm »

Obviously posting about anything related to politics on this board is a recipe for disaster... moreover, when you get a bit older you realize most people have their own opinions and are pretty much only interested in that which confirms them...

Actually everyone has their own opinions about sports too.

hutch

« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2013, 01:20:36 pm »

you can talk about why the redskins suck and nobody much cares what you think... talk about why president obama sucks (if that is what you think) and you're on an entirely different plane..to start with 50% of people , more like 75% on this boad who bother to post, will yell "WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE SUCKS??"

one will be, by a certain age, very invested in their politics...their politics will often be a part of how they see themselves, who they are, what they stand on, what they believe in....  the minutae of the Redskins? once you agree you're all fans you can argue about anything and not worry about it..its just not that personal...

of course your mileage may vary

at least that is the way i see it..

atomic

« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2013, 02:43:27 pm »

you can talk about why the redskins suck and nobody much cares what you think... talk about why president obama sucks (if that is what you think) and you're on an entirely different plane..to start with 50% of people , more like 75% on this boad who bother to post, will yell "WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE SUCKS??"

one will be, by a certain age, very invested in their politics...their politics will often be a part of how they see themselves, who they are, what they stand on, what they believe in....  the minutae of the Redskins? once you agree you're all fans you can argue about anything and not worry about it..its just not that personal...

of course your mileage may vary

at least that is the way i see it..

American Politicians are so similar I don't see why people get in this Republican / Democrat thing.  People think of politics very similar to football.  They want to have their side win.  THey don't care what is best for the country.  In football only one side can win.  I guess in election only one side can win as we have winner take all here and we only have two parties. But all the incumbents could win.  And if they do what is best for the country we could all win.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2014, 11:55:39 am »
The name MUST be a curse when they've won 3 Super Bowls and 2 World Championships under the name. Yes, the last was over 2 decades ago, but they have been named the same thing for the better part of a century.

At this point I don't give 2 squirts of piss WHAT the hell they do. Win another Super Bowl. Rename them the Washington Dudeguys and if they win a Super Bowl it'll all be fine with me.

nobody cared what they were named until more recently... you could make the argument the curse was activated when Cooke died...

personally I think the team needs a fresh start... changing the name would be a beginning....the clamor for them to change the name will get louder.. given the team's racist history I think they should have been out in front on the name issue...
How racist? Like, having the only black Super Bowl winning quarterback in NFL history? Pretty racist.

Honestly, I don't give a shit at this point. They can do whatever they want. If they bring me a Super Bowl, I don't care what they're named or who owns the team.
‼‼?‼‼

atomic

« Reply #157 on: January 02, 2014, 12:08:49 pm »
The name MUST be a curse when they've won 3 Super Bowls and 2 World Championships under the name. Yes, the last was over 2 decades ago, but they have been named the same thing for the better part of a century.

At this point I don't give 2 squirts of piss WHAT the hell they do. Win another Super Bowl. Rename them the Washington Dudeguys and if they win a Super Bowl it'll all be fine with me.

nobody cared what they were named until more recently... you could make the argument the curse was activated when Cooke died...

personally I think the team needs a fresh start... changing the name would be a beginning....the clamor for them to change the name will get louder.. given the team's racist history I think they should have been out in front on the name issue...
How racist? Like, having the only black Super Bowl winning quarterback in NFL history? Pretty racist.

Honestly, I don't give a shit at this point. They can do whatever they want. If they bring me a Super Bowl, I don't care what they're named or who owns the team.

You have a weird way of thinking.  If you aren't racist to black people you aren't racist?  WTF?   

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #158 on: January 02, 2014, 12:35:25 pm »
He said the team has a history of racism, I was just wondering what the history was, outside of the name. I didn't know the organization and team had a history of racism.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #159 on: January 02, 2014, 12:36:00 pm »
Cowher and Briles top list...

If BIll Cowher coaches this team I truly have zero expectations for them. I would be so upset if he takes over. The man has been out of coaching for 7 frickin years. Ugh.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #160 on: January 02, 2014, 12:36:37 pm »

You are pathetic if you don't know the history of the Washington Redskins... educate yourself.. here is a snippet that can begin your education:

Most Americans, and most Redskins fans, agree with him (Hutch note ie Snyder and resdksins name). But all that shows is that those Americans and fans don?t know the history. Snyder, presumably, does. He should be ashamed.

Marshall had made a fortune in the commercial laundry business when he purchased the Boston Braves football team in 1932. His second coach was a man whose mother was thought to be part Sioux. Not known to be?thought to be. And on that flimsy basis, Marshall changed the name, in this coach?s ?honor? (even though Marshall fired him after two seasons), from Braves to Redskins. It seems telling that ?Braves? was somehow not authentic enough for Marshall.

?Redskins? lasts only because white people don?t know it?s offensive and don?t particularly care to stop and think about how and why it might be.

Telling, but not surprising. This is a man who proposed to his wife against the backdrop of a group of black performers he?d hired to croon ?Carry Me Back to Ol? Virginny? as he popped the question (?Massa and Missus have long since gone before me / Soon we will meet on that bright and golden shore?). Who ordered the Redskins marching band to play ?Dixie? right before ?The Star-Spangled Banner? prior to every game?up into the 1960s. And who probably instigated the banning of black athletes from the NFL from 1933 until 1946.

I say ?probably? because the league?s owners at the time always kept it a deep secret, but Thomas G. Smith, who wrote a 2011 book about all this, got as close as a person could get to putting Marshall at the center of the ban. The league had blacks before 1933 only because people didn?t care much about pro football then, not nearly as much as they did about baseball. But in 1933, at someone?s instigation, the owners got together and agreed on the ban. Certainly, Marshall was the biggest racist of the bunch. (I reviewed the book here, for The New York Review of Books.)

Most famously of all, Marshall was the last owner to accept a black player?fully 15 years after the ban was lifted. And his team drafted an African-American then (in 1961) only because it was forced to by the government?the then-new stadium that we call RFK Stadium today was built on Department of Interior land, which permitted the Kennedy administration to order the lessee (the team) to adhere to federal nondiscrimination policies. In other words, Marshall wasn?t merely a standard-issue racist of the time, like H.L. Mencken or countless others. He was diseased. He seethed with hatred of nonwhite people. And ?Redskins? is his handiwork. Because ?Braves? wasn?t quite descriptive enough.

from: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/06/01/the-racist-redskins.html

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #161 on: January 02, 2014, 12:52:58 pm »
I dig it.
‼‼?‼‼

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #162 on: January 02, 2014, 01:09:45 pm »
He said the team has a history of racism, I was just wondering what the history was, outside of the name. I didn't know the organization and team had a history of racism.

You apparently don't know too much about the history of this team then.  This team was the last team in the NFL to integrate in 1962.   Nearly 15 years after most NFL teams had integrated.  They refused to have black players on their roster until they were forced to - RFK, then the Attorney General, forced the teams hand by threatening to revoke their lease on D.C. Stadium.  It went on to be named RFK Stadium, of course.

George Marshall, the first and longest tenured owner of the team specifically stipulated in his will that none of the money was to be used in efforts related to integration.  This guy was an avowed racist.  It's no big secret.  "When George Preston Marshall died in 1969, he left some money to his children but directed that the bulk of his estate be used to set up a foundation in his name. He attached, however, one firm condition: that the foundation, operating out of Washington, D.C., should not direct a single dollar toward ?any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form.?

Ever wonder why there are so many African American Cowboys fans in the DC area?  It's because the guy who owned the team up until 1969 hated black people and everyone knew it.

Edit - Hutch's response appeared as well by the time if posted this.  I agree...DFA how the fuck could you not know any of this stuff?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 01:18:56 pm by chaz »

stevewizzle

« Reply #163 on: January 02, 2014, 01:37:13 pm »
You are pathetic if you don't know the history of the Washington Redskins... educate yourself.. here is a snippet that can begin your education:

the hutch hammer!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: That Darned Washington NFL Team, Pt. Deux
« Reply #164 on: January 02, 2014, 02:08:58 pm »
A diehard Washington NFL team fan legitimately asking for proof of the franchise's racist history is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on here. We are one step away from someone asking for proof of Kentucky Basketball or Alabama or Mississippi Football having a racist history. We are through the looking glass here, people!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:42:06 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH