Author Topic: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux  (Read 219131 times)

reggie

Re: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux
« Reply #165 on: January 02, 2014, 03:12:22 pm »
Cowher and Briles top list...

If BIll Cowher coaches this team I truly have zero expectations for them. I would be so upset if he takes over. The man has been out of coaching for 7 frickin years. Ugh.

No chance the skins get Bill Cowher. Every year, Cowher and John Gruden's names get floated around as possible head coach candidates and it's not gonna happen unless it is the absolute perfect situation. Also, they get paid millions right now to work one day a week.

stevewizzle

« Reply #166 on: January 02, 2014, 03:26:06 pm »

If BIll Cowher coaches this team I truly have zero expectations for them. I would be so upset if he takes over. The man has been out of coaching for 7 frickin years. Ugh.

No chance the skins get Bill Cowher. Every year, Cowher and John Gruden's names get floated around as possible head coach candidates and it's not gonna happen unless it is the absolute perfect situation. Also, they get paid millions right now to work one day a week.

the very idea of bill cowher coming out of "retirement" to work for snyder is laughable.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2014, 03:45:35 pm »
He said the team has a history of racism, I was just wondering what the history was, outside of the name. I didn't know the organization and team had a history of racism.

You apparently don't know too much about the history of this team then.  This team was the last team in the NFL to integrate in 1962.   Nearly 15 years after most NFL teams had integrated.  They refused to have black players on their roster until they were forced to - RFK, then the Attorney General, forced the teams hand by threatening to revoke their lease on D.C. Stadium.  It went on to be named RFK Stadium, of course.

George Marshall, the first and longest tenured owner of the team specifically stipulated in his will that none of the money was to be used in efforts related to integration.  This guy was an avowed racist.  It's no big secret.  "When George Preston Marshall died in 1969, he left some money to his children but directed that the bulk of his estate be used to set up a foundation in his name. He attached, however, one firm condition: that the foundation, operating out of Washington, D.C., should not direct a single dollar toward ?any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form.?

Ever wonder why there are so many African American Cowboys fans in the DC area?  It's because the guy who owned the team up until 1969 hated black people and everyone knew it.

Edit - Hutch's response appeared as well by the time if posted this.  I agree...DFA how the fuck could you not know any of this stuff?
Never really looked it up, honestly I didn't know the team had a history of racism. It hadn't really come up in the TV broadcasts while I've been watching them for 20 years... I followed the football aspect more than the racist owner who died 20 years before I was even born. So, yeah, this is eye opening, but what can I do about it. It's not like the team continues to not hire black people, or any other type of races. Racism is a part of this countries history. It's insanely disgusting to read this about the owner, but I still love the team.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #168 on: January 02, 2014, 03:46:04 pm »

the very idea of bill cowher coming out of "retirement" to work for snyder is laughable.
Like Joe Gibbs and Mike Shannahan...
‼‼?‼‼

stevewizzle

« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2014, 04:26:35 pm »

Like Joe Gibbs and Mike Shannahan...

you really are delusional if you think that joe gibbs and mike shanahan are similar situations to hiring bill cowher.

ANY football team would happily bring in cowher. hell, if he was available, i'm guessing more coaches would have been fired in hopes of hiring him. and the redskins job is likely on the bottom of his list of attractive suitors. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2014, 04:43:23 pm »
Likely story, Danny boy waves around his checkbook and they'll flock to him. Especially seeing how much power he gave to Shannahan. Yes, we've been spun into a circus again, but money talks. It's no Lions gig, but I think it's still in the top 2 or 3.

I heard Lovie Smith went to Tampa Bay? How long before Redskins panic and back into another Zorn sitatuion. Ugh.
‼‼?‼‼

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: That Darned Washington NFL Team, Pt. Deux
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2014, 04:57:08 pm »
I really can't see gruden or cowher taking any job and being world beaters. My nfl knowledge isn't the tops but when do HoF caliber coaches take approx a decade off and come back and be elite still? I think you naturally get lazy and somethings pass you by.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:41:40 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2014, 05:12:15 pm »
The team should be better next year due to having all that extra cap room.  They don't have a first pick but their second round pick is pretty high.  I think it would be a good position to take as the owner likes to overpay coaches and they have nowhere to go but up.  You could say you need a rebuild and that would give you several years of non-expectations.  Actually how hard is it to be an NFL coach.  You hire a good offensive and defensive coordinator and a decent special teams coach and sit back and let them do the rest.  All you need to know is when to throw the challenge flag and whether to go for it on 4th down.

hutch

« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2014, 05:22:39 pm »
all they have to do is hire the offensive coordinator for the seahawks WHO THEY ARE INTERVIEWING...

i called that weeks ago on this very thread.. that is who they should hire.. anyone who watches the seahawks knows that pete carroll basically watches the game (atomic's post above is precient)..

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2014, 05:23:44 pm »
I just don't understand it. I've heard it's a 5 year process blah blah, I know it takes time, but some places get turned around in a year or two. Colts gutted their team and got their quarterback and rebuilt and now look at them. I get that RG3 had his 2nd effing reconstructive knee surgery, but after so many years. Excuses just aren't enough. I'd like to see someone breathe some fresh air into this franchise and organization. I thought Bruce Allen and Mike Shannahan would do that. Turns out Shannahan is just another fucking brat.
‼‼?‼‼

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2014, 05:49:20 pm »
Team will NOT win any time soon. 

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't see it happening.  Karma is a bitch.

stevewizzle

« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2014, 05:58:50 pm »
all they have to do is hire the offensive coordinator for the seahawks WHO THEY ARE INTERVIEWING...

i called that weeks ago on this very thread.. that is who they should hire.. anyone who watches the seahawks knows that pete carroll basically watches the game (atomic's post above is precient)..

okay, this is somewhat true, but the culture and management and attitude carroll brings is also a big reason why his team is so successful. 

think back when the patriots had their run of super bowls, and everyone was quick to credit romeo crennel and charlie weis for being outstanding coordinators.  they didn't quite transform their next teams when they inevitably got HC gigs.

atomic

« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2014, 06:09:18 pm »

okay, this is somewhat true, but the culture and management and attitude carroll brings is also a big reason why his team is so successful. 

think back when the patriots had their run of super bowls, and everyone was quick to credit romeo crennel and charlie weis for being outstanding coordinators.  they didn't quite transform their next teams when they inevitably got HC gigs.

It helps to have Tom Brady on your team.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2014, 10:47:42 am »
Team will NOT win any time soon. 

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I don't see it happening.  Karma is a bitch.
I'm in this boat now. My optimism has finally been beat out of me.  :-[
‼‼?‼‼

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2014, 11:46:43 am »
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/02/redskins-tout-new-poll-that-actually-shows-increasing-support-for-name-change/related/

i hate polls of any kind . . . here, lets ask a hundred to a thousand people the same question.  and thats supposed to equal everybody.