Author Topic: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux  (Read 219165 times)

i am gay and i like cats

atomic

Re: Those Darned Redskins, Pt. Deux
« Reply #376 on: June 18, 2014, 05:21:45 pm »
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/d-c-who-5-new-names-for-the-washington-redskins-20140618

Other than the Beltway Black Cats I really don't like any of those names.  How about the Landover Patsies?  It has a nice ring to it.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #377 on: June 19, 2014, 06:15:54 am »
In Landmark Decision, U.S. Patent Office Cancels Trademark For Redskins Football Team

http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2014/06/18/3450333/in-landmark-decision-us-patent-office-cancels-trademark-for-redskins-football-team/

It is not actually a landmark decision.  The exact same decision was made before and overturned on appeal.  The second time something happens is by default not a landmark.  Poor reporting as usual by the majority of media these days.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #378 on: June 19, 2014, 06:17:04 am »
Maybe they will rename them the Washington Klansmen in keeping with the name f the city's NBA team.
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #379 on: June 19, 2014, 07:46:09 am »
well they're going to have to rename them something. at some point, and I think its getting close, the NFL isnt going to like this continuing focus and they're going to have a chat with Danny-boy...

James Ford

« Reply #380 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:29 am »
Perhaps it's the fact that you live in such a backassward city that makes you think of the Klan upon hearing the word "wizard". When I Google image the word "wizard", I see a whole lot of pictures, none of them making reference to the Klan.

Maybe they will rename them the Washington Klansmen in keeping with the name f the city's NBA team.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #381 on: June 19, 2014, 09:24:12 am »
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/d-c-who-5-new-names-for-the-washington-redskins-20140618
Actually like the Beltway Black Cats and DC Dukes.

I still want them to go with Washington War Paint. They could keep everything the same and just change the name. Maybe update the logo to have some war paint on it. Even though the feathers already do...
‼‼?‼‼

atomic

« Reply #382 on: June 19, 2014, 11:32:29 am »
Some other suggestions:

Washington's My Little Ponies
Landover baby bunnies
DC Pansies
Washington Lollygaggers
Washington Crips&Bloods
Landover Hells Angels
DC Presidental Interns

atomic

« Reply #383 on: June 19, 2014, 11:36:12 am »
Two more

Washington Metrosexuals

And my favorite:

DC Chimpanzees

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #384 on: June 19, 2014, 01:19:38 pm »
you might, want to reconsider, that last one.

atomic

« Reply #385 on: June 19, 2014, 01:25:47 pm »

Why Chimps are cute.  They can be mean and are strong as well.  Best of both worlds.

James Ford

« Reply #386 on: June 19, 2014, 01:37:40 pm »
Who, are you, Howard Cosell?

Why Chimps are cute.  They can be mean and are strong as well.  Best of both worlds.

atomic

« Reply #387 on: June 19, 2014, 01:44:58 pm »
Who, are you, Howard Cosell?

Oh I see Howard Cosell called someone "a little monkey".  Well chimps are not monkeys and it was not meant that way. 

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #388 on: June 19, 2014, 09:04:51 pm »
Perhaps it's the fact that you live in such a backassward city that makes you think of the Klan upon hearing the word "wizard". When I Google image the word "wizard", I see a whole lot of pictures, none of them making reference to the Klan.

It has nothing to do with where I live of what I think.  What you or I think in general has nothing to do with PC name changes either.  It is whether someone might perceive that someone else might be offended by the name.  BTW just to correct yet another point you made, the KKK is not the first thing I think of when I hear the term wizard, however when considering a name change for PC reasons I would absolutely be sure that the name I selected did not have any offensive connotations.  The whole PC name change thing is about whether someone COULD BE offended by a name.  Well it is an absolute that a black person playing in the NBA could very easily be offended by a team name of wizard.  No one who supports the concept PC name changes can deny that fact.
FUKIT

James Ford

« Reply #389 on: June 19, 2014, 09:06:58 pm »
I guess the Cleveland Browns need to change their name too.

I have never once heard or read about anyone complaining about the Wizards name.

It has nothing to do with where I live of what I think.  What you or I think in general has nothing to do with PC name changes either.  It is whether someone might perceive that someone else might be offended by the name.  BTW just to correct yet another point you made, the KKK is not the first thing I think of when I hear the term wizard, however when considering a name change for PC reasons I would absolutely be sure that the name I selected did not have any offensive connotations.  The whole PC name change thing is about whether someone COULD BE offended by a name.  Well it is an absolute that a black person playing in the NBA could very easily be offended by a team name of wizard.  No one who supports the concept PC name changes can deny that fact.