Author Topic: Celebrity Crime & Scandal Blog  (Read 211101 times)

vansmack

Re: Celebrity Crime & Scandal Blog
« Reply #420 on: March 12, 2019, 12:52:53 pm »
And the University of San Diego?!
Haha, I thought the same. How sad is that bribe?

$100,000 bride was arranged and the student ultimately decided not to go.  The coach was still paid $10k for their services.

Seriously, what kind of genius arranges for a bribe at a small third tier Catholic university when a tax deductible gift probably would have had the exact same effect without breaking any laws?!   
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #421 on: March 12, 2019, 12:59:25 pm »
Seriously, what kind of genius arranges for a bribe at a small third tier Catholic university when a tax deductible gift probably would have had the exact same effect without breaking any laws?!
Their 25th-75th percentile splits for SAT scores are 1100-1310. They have a 52% acceptance rate (which to be honest, I thought would be higher). How, if you can afford the sticker price of that school, does one have to rely on these sort of means to get their kid in there I will never understand unless the undergrad in question literally has a constant flow of drool from their mouth to the nape of their neck.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #422 on: March 12, 2019, 01:04:51 pm »
I'll be honest - if I'm the USD I'm outwardly apologetic, reminding everybody that no students were admitted, and that we're currently reviewing our practices and processes to make sure something like this can't happen at our institution.

But behind closed doors I'm stoked to be on that list and hope that the stature of the institution rises because of this perception of elitism.   
27>34

MAGA 2020

« Reply #423 on: March 12, 2019, 01:19:03 pm »
I'd tell my parents just to give the 6 million bucks and to hell with college.

« Reply #424 on: March 12, 2019, 01:25:03 pm »
But behind closed doors I'm stoked to be on that list and hope that the stature of the institution rises because of this perception of elitism.
Spot on. I maintain if UVA hadn't added a club polo team, people would basically think of them as a white Howard University.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:27:10 pm by Julian, Thinly-Veiled Outrage IMPRESARIO »
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2019, 01:31:29 pm »
Operation Varsity Blues. 

Shit, I can't make this stuff up.
27>34

« Reply #426 on: March 12, 2019, 01:50:30 pm »
Operation Varsity Blues. 

Shit, I can't make this stuff up.
actual tweet...guess she got the answer
slack

vansmack

« Reply #427 on: March 12, 2019, 01:56:40 pm »
Spot on. I maintain if UVA hadn't added a club polo team, people would basically think of them as a white Howard University.

The indictment was child's play compared to the affidavit, which I can't put down now.

All of the other institutions were labeled "highly selective" while USD was just listed as "selective"...
27>34

« Reply #428 on: March 12, 2019, 02:14:47 pm »
In or about April 2016, FLAXMAN’s daughter took the ACT and received a
score of 20 out of a possible 36. On or about September 12, 2016, FLAXMAN e-mailed CW-1
that his daughter took the “ACT this weekend and thought she did better than the last time. She
actually finished the exam.” FLAXMAN’s daughter received a score of 24 on the September
test.

Jesus.

EDIT: Googling tells me ROBERT FLAXMAN is a USC grad, which seems to be a school this scam had major inroads into. Is the San Diego admissions keeping the little shits in their proverbial place?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:18:09 pm by Julian, Thinly-Veiled Outrage IMPRESARIO »
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #429 on: March 12, 2019, 04:13:38 pm »
Semprevivo was my favorite (page 186).  He sniffed out the wire so fast....

You know that dude has some other shady business going on and is well versed in confession avoidance.
27>34

« Reply #430 on: March 12, 2019, 04:38:48 pm »
Semprevivo was my favorite (page 186).  He sniffed out the wire so fast....

You know that dude has some other shady business going on and is well versed in confession avoidance.
I mean, he stuck the landing at the end for sure but he's "yeah, okay"ing along for a good bit before he realizes the jig is up.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2019, 02:46:35 pm »
I love this scandal so much I'm reading the NY Post!

The Abbotts:

Son defends parents caught in college admissions scandal while smoking blunt
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

« Reply #433 on: March 14, 2019, 03:30:46 pm »
I've finally read the entire affidavit and my favorite is the part where one of the parents specifically asks if another named defendant is also doing this because he'd been giving him shit. When you want to know Aunt Mossimo's daughter had to rely on these means to get into USC despite family relationships with the USC board, that's why -- the vanity of not wanting to admit your kid needs help to your social circle. Same reason FLAXMAN paid $650k to get his kid into San Diego instead of other, cheaper means -- the nouveau riche hate nothing more than having to bow.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #434 on: March 14, 2019, 03:56:30 pm »
I love this scandal so much I'm reading the NY Post!

The Abbotts:

Son defends parents caught in college admissions scandal while smoking blunt

since when has the NYP started white-labeling Onion articles?
<sig>