Author Topic: Anyone been???  (Read 9407 times)

redsock

Anyone been???
« on: June 27, 2003, 11:42:00 am »
Hopefully I'm not gonna get shot for posting this on the board, the secrecy behind this place is weird, but has anyone ever been to the House of Secrets? Some band mates of my girlfriend are playing there and we are going to see them, much to my chagrin. I have heard nothing but sketchy details of this place, with things as mundane as a video-game room, to innuendo of far far worse. Personally, I don't care, I'm a big boy, but I'm going with my girlfriend, and I want to be sure this place will be ok for her. She's tough, but I don't really want us to walk int some sort of freak-show unprepared. It seems like some serious performers have played there....

Anyone been?

Re: Anyone been???
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2003, 11:52:00 am »
An Irreverent Look At the DC Bar Scene
 by Senate staffers Emily, Liz and Robyn
 THIS WEEK: HOUSE OF SECRETS
 (4th and U Streets, DC)

We have been to clubs, we have been to lounges, we have been to dive bars, and we have been to strip clubs. Frankly, we thought we had seen every level of sketch in DC...until we arrived at the House of Secrets.

The House of Secrets is in a residential neighborhood in an area of the city that none of us would recommend visiting alone. This was the last kind of place that Liz and Emily thought of going last Saturday night, but we were persuaded by the enthusiasm of Emily's roommate Jason. We walked into the house and paid the steep entrance fee of $25 (once you pay this, all of the alcohol is free). The House is lighted by dim red bulbs and is decorated in a style that immediately made us feel like we had landed in the middle of a frat party gone terribly wrong. All of the different rooms in the house have different themes (use your imagination and we are sure you can think of what some of these themes are....). The first floor consists of a few different rooms with bars in each of them, and, while there was a dance floor, no one seemed to be using it.

Note: When applicable, all of our ratings below are on a 0-5 scale (0 being the worst, 5 being the best).

Age Factor :
 2 - Aside from the man wandering around shaking people's hands who owned the house (Emily's roommate hit it off with this guy), most the people were young.

Hill Networking Opportunities:
 0 - Ha. Do we even have to comment on this?

Hook-Up Factor:
 1 - Nope, not much here. Although there were quite a few doors in the house that were locked, so perhaps it was simply not as apparent.

Crowd Diversity:
 5 - Just about any type of person you can think of was here on Saturday. From the preppies to people highly enjoying a chess game upstairs to men and women who seemed deeply committed to the reggae room.

Sketch Factor:
 On a scale of 0-5, we give this place a 10.

The Bottom Line:
 If you venture into this neighborhood, be prepared. Ladies, take a guy with you. Seriously. Liz and Emily pretty much clung to Jason all night (not that he seemed to mind) but it was more to make ourselves feel more comfortable than for his enjoyment. Jason insists that the other times he has visited this particular establishment it has been much less seedy and more fun, however Liz and I were not feeling that vibe, so we are sticking to our own sketchy experience. The House of Secrets is only open on Saturday nights.

redsock

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2003, 12:01:00 pm »
Thanks Rhett, I actually found that review before, which is one of the reasons I posted. It seems like if you want to find debauchery, you can pretty easily, but if you don't, its not gonna come find you. Still...I'm not so sure...

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 12:08:00 pm »
Redsock -- I've been meaning to check this place out as a few friends of mine have gone.  They said it was a pretty wild time.  Perhaps I will see you there sometime.

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Hopefully I'm not gonna get shot for posting this on the board, the secrecy behind this place is weird, but has anyone ever been to the House of Secrets?  
Can't be that much of a secret if three senate interns are reviewing it for Hillzoo and rating its hook-up factor.
27>34

redsock

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 12:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by redsock:
  Hopefully I'm not gonna get shot for posting this on the board, the secrecy behind this place is weird, but has anyone ever been to the House of Secrets?  
Can't be that much of a secret if three senate interns are reviewing it for Hillzoo and rating its hook-up factor. [/b]
Well, if you do a yahoo search, that review, along with it being mentioned on a few band sites, including the Sneeks, who I'm going to see, are about all there is. Its not easy to keep that limited a profile on the web nowadays. and I can't find anyone who will admit to ever going there, but everyone has heard at least a little about it. Mostly the seedy, sketchy part.

redsock

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 12:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Redsock -- I've been meaning to check this place out as a few friends of mine have gone.  They said it was a pretty wild time.  Perhaps I will see you there sometime.
Pretty wild time eh? Not sure that makes me feel comfortable. Thoguh $25 all you can drink yould make for a pretty wild time for plenty of olks i know...regardless of the other entertainment options.

Jaguär

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 12:58:00 pm »
Redsock, you must go now and come back and give us a full report. In detail! Take notes if you have to. We want to know it all, be it good or bad.

God, as many times as I've driven by there I've never noticed anything going on other than a few seedy locals minding their own business.

thirsty moore

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 01:00:00 pm »
Keep it a secret Redsock....

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 01:02:00 pm »
Yeah, don't let every new Hill intern from the Mid-west know about it!
27>34

redsock

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 01:03:00 pm »
You know Thirsty, if I didn't know better, I'd think you might have a lot to say about it already....

Certainly our curiosity makes both me and my girl want to go, but definetly in the look but don't touch kinda way.

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 01:15:00 pm »
Okay, then PM me all the lurid details. I won't share them with Thirsty; I promise.   :p

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 01:21:00 pm »
Is this one of those places that French libertines would hang out at?

paige

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 01:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  Okay, then PM me all the lurid details. I won't share them with Thirsty; I promise.    :p  
share them with me!! woo!

saco

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2003, 02:30:00 pm »
I hate hill people.