Author Topic: MP3 Player vs Mini Disc Walkman  (Read 14590 times)

raebyddet

Re: MP3 Player vs Mini Disc Walkman
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2003, 10:49:00 am »
I own both an Ipod and a Minidisc player. I have not used the minidisc player that I own for several years now. I purchased my Minidisc player when they first came out. The minidisc is a dated technology at this point. You would be better off getting something with a lot more space available to store music and is better integrated with the computer. I have an Ipod now and I love it, the best computer accessory I have ever purchased.

I am now trying to figure out what to do with my Minidisc player. I have a player and a recorder (a stereo component version). They just take up to much space and collect dust now.

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2003, 11:02:00 am »
Anybody out there have a turntable? That's where it's truly at.

poorlulu

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2003, 11:04:00 am »
your portable player, can it record as well? It woukd be handy for making crappy recordings of great shows......That is the only thing MD is good for.

There was talk of upgrading the ipod to record at one point too, which would be cool. There is a hidden mode right now where you can record 10 seconds of audio, so I am informed....

Otherwise perhaps you can start a museum of obsolete equipement..... You have a betamax too, right?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2003, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Anybody out there have a turntable? That's where it's truly at.
three as a matter of fact!
T.Rex

poorlulu

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2003, 11:06:00 am »
He has got:

Three turntables and two microphones......

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2003, 11:06:00 am »
Oh boy - technology!

The Ipod is probably the best, however, like you said its expensive and a one dimmensional device.  If you're going to spend that kind of money, buy a fancy handlheld with an expansion card so you can do more with it.  I have a handhled that plays Mp3's and it's expandable to what ever size memory card I use (currently 2 GB).  I use it because it cuts down on the number of devices I carry with me and I feel I'm getting more for my money.  I can surf the web with it in wireless hotspots, check email, work on documents, keep my contacts and a calendar AND listen to MP3's for the same price these folks paid for thier Ipod.

I tried the cell phone MP3 player but the battery life is shit so don't bother.

Smackette has the same Nike MP3 player the GGW was talking about, but it freezes on her all the time.  Maybe GGW is experinecing the same or a similar problem (but I think it's because she's a woman).  The other problem is that it doesn't shuffle so you have the same set list every time which can get very annoying.

Kosmo is absolutely right about the inexpensive flash players - not a lot of songs.  Which reminds me - rip your songs at 64KBPS for MP3 players because your headphones aren't going to be clear enough to notice the differecne between 128K and 64K, but you'll be able to store more songs.

A good mid-range price idea for lots of songs is the new MP3 playing CD players.  Look for an easy to use display (trust me) and one that works with CD-RW's.  Basically its a discman that plays MP3's, and if it reads RW's then your set with over 15 albums on one CD, but not locked into those albums.  They're under $100 these days.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2003, 11:08:00 am »
actually if the current minidisc players could be used as a portable hard drive it would be an attractive product for carrying music.  it's small and sturdy.  but because of the sw limitations it's just not the thing to buy.  i'm still annoyed that the ipod can only be used on either a mac or a pc not both at the same time.
T.Rex

poorlulu

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2003, 11:10:00 am »
Before I got the ipod I just had an ordinary run of the mill CD player.... But it was big bulky didnt fit in my pocket and even with skip protection it got cross with me when I ran down the metro steps......

Nothing gains admiring glances from the ladies like a shiny white ipod.

SO Vansmack what handheld are you using??

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2003, 11:15:00 am »
Originally posted by poorlulu:

SO Vansmack what handheld are you using??
HP Jornada (which has been replaced by the Compaq Ipaq since the merger) because it uses Compact Flash Memory cards like the rest of my devices.  And it's smaller than your Ipod, so ha.

And the CD playing MP3's don't skip like old discmans because the MP3 is loaded into the RAM.
27>34

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2003, 11:18:00 am »

ggw

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2003, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 Smackette has the same Nike MP3 player the GGW was talking about, but it freezes on her all the time.  Maybe GGW is experinecing the same or a similar problem (but I think it's because she's a woman).  The other problem is that it doesn't shuffle so you have the same set list every time which can get very annoying.

I have had no problems, although a guy I work with also has one and mentioned that he had some problem (but Philips sent him a new one - no questions asked).  It's not a high tech device, but it's simple and fits my needs, and looks deck strapped to my rippling bicep.

poorlulu

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2003, 11:21:00 am »
the ipaq does look pretty handy. But its even more expensive, right? Plus it has a relatively small amount of memory, and if my memory serves me well it displaces a similar volume to the new ipod....

Horses for courses, then?

My old player had skip protection, so it loaded stuff into ram. Mine got really mad if I banged it about despite that though, I amagine the newer generation ones are better. Still I dont know if I would want to try running with one.

vansmack

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2003, 11:25:00 am »
Originally posted by ggw:
  I have had no problems, although a guy I work with also has one and mentioned that he had some problem (but Philips sent him a new one - no questions asked).  It's not a high tech device, but it's simple and fits my needs, and looks deck strapped to my rippling bicep.
Thanks.  I used it for 5 days and couldn't freeze it either.  She manages to freeze in just under an hour every time...amazing.

And she too picked it out because it looks deck in the gym.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2003, 11:35:00 am »
Originally posted by poorlulu:
  the ipaq does look pretty handy. But its even more expensive, right? Plus it has a relatively small amount of memory, and if my memory serves me well it displaces a similar volume to the new ipod....

Horses for courses, then?

My old player had skip protection, so it loaded stuff into ram. Mine got really mad if I banged it about despite that though, I amagine the newer generation ones are better. Still I dont know if I would want to try running with one.
I bought the Jornada when they brought the new line out.  I think I got it for around $200 then added 2 512 MB Compact Flash Cards for $79.  It came with 64 MB on board which I use for synching with my desktop and the exapndible memory cards are for music and videos only.  Each memory card holds about 300 songs each.

With Pocket PC 2003 coming out, you should be able to buy a Pocket PC 2002 handhled for about $200 relatively soon.

One other thing I would recommend for portable MP3 users is headphones with a volume knob/switch on the cord from the plug to the headphones.  Mp3's vary so much in their volume - especially live and bootleg stuff that it's a must to save your ears.  It's so much easier and allows you to put you player out of sight.
27>34

jadetree

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2003, 11:42:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:

One other thing I would recommend for portable MP3 users is headphones with a volume knob/switch on the cord from the plug to the headphones.  Mp3's vary so much in their volume - especially live and bootleg stuff that it's a must to save your ears.  It's so much easier and allows you to put you player out of sight.
The ipod comes with a volume control just like your talking about, but I dont have that problem with mp3s since I rip them all from the cd and dont steal them.  ;)