Author Topic: MP3 Player vs Mini Disc Walkman  (Read 14588 times)

vansmack

Re: MP3 Player vs Mini Disc Walkman
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2003, 11:50:00 am »
Originally posted by Bob Pollard:
  The ipod comes with a volume control just like your talking about, but I dont have that problem with mp3s since I rip them all from the cd and dont steal them.   ;)  
So did the Nike Player, but my original Rio did not, so I thought it best to share.

Ever downloaded a live track from a bands web site?  (well not with your one dimensional Ipod, I mean with your personal computer then trasferred to your Ipod?)  

Ever heard an original analog recording converted to CD before remastering?

And just to use an example, ever heard the first Counting Crows album?  It's the loudest album I've ever heard in terms of pure volume of the recording.  It never plays well with others when shuffling.  Not even against my hardcore stuff.

But yes, my bootleg "stolen" stuff is the worst of them all.  It all depends on how close that bastard got to the stage.  Can't they all just use the soundboard?
27>34

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2003, 11:55:00 am »
Once, ten years ago. And then thankfully never again.  :)

Originally posted by vansmack:

And just to use an example, ever heard the first Counting Crows album?  

[/b]

mjnova

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2003, 02:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by poorlulu:

Originally posted by mjnova:
  Gimme some europop recommendations.
Hjello Mjnova.....

Well the best current europop is the postal service.....
 Oh wait they are not euro....

So I am not sure what you are looking for?

Baesement Jaxx, rooty

Air 10,000 Khz legend

Prodigy, cant remember album names.....

or older stuff

like:

Pop will eat itself

Carter the unstoppable sex machine

pet shop boys

is that what you meant by europop or did you want me to namedrop atomic kitten, s club 7, westlife and Kylie?

By the way this isnt poorlulu, right now. Normally I have completely different music tasted from you. [/b]
I was thinkin more the stuff at the bottom.  I just got a Pet Shop Boys - Acutally.  Which is great stuff, and I ordered the Kylie reissues off Amazon, which should be good driving albums.  I doubt I could tolerate much westlife, although Atomic Kittens, Sugarbabes etc would probably be right up my alley.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2003, 03:22:00 pm »
Flogging a dead horse here i know....but my wife got me an ipod for my b-day a few weeks ago.

Damn I love that thing......taking 200 cd's with me wherever I go in something the size of deck of cards.

When i'm at home I hook it up to my stereo.  I haven't fumbled with a cd for weeks.  I hook it up to my car stereo too.

For windows (don't know if this has been mentioned or not) he'll need a firewire card (yeah you can use usb2 but then you have to go buy the cable and I don't even know if it's available yet) and don't bother with the included Music Match software for PC...it's a piece of shit.  Go download Ephpod for free.  Easier and works better.

Buy the boy an IPOD and he'll be yours forever!

Chip Chanko

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2003, 04:26:00 pm »
10 gig ipod (old style) with remote...my favorite thing I've ever bought. Its interface is much better than any other mp3 player I've used. GET ONE!!! The old ones are still available for cheaper than the new ones (try macmall or the like). I think you can find an old 20gb for around $250.

I agree...use ephpod. I use mine on a PC and it works great. I use it in the car, at home on the stereo, and on my metro commute.

poorlulu

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2003, 06:41:00 pm »
  I was thinkin more the stuff at the bottom.  I just got a Pet Shop Boys - Acutally.  Which is great stuff, and I ordered the Kylie reissues off Amazon, which should be good driving albums.  I doubt I could tolerate much westlife, although Atomic Kittens, Sugarbabes etc would probably be right up my alley.
Well going for the stuff at the bottom......

Carter the Unstopable sex machine is great...... 101 damnations is better than 30 something, I wouldnt bother with the rest.

Pet shop boys, I have been enjoying introspective again just recently. Its sooo gay though. If you like the pet shop boys you will love postal service. Its my favourite of the year (thanks Jadetree)

I just got a best of Pop will eat itself which can even make me smile on the way to work in the morning.

The other thing I think you might like if you dont have already is Depeche Mode Violater.

Also Erasure had some good albums in the 80s, Pop, the 20 singles is a good place to start.

from there you can go back to yazz(oo) and soft cell....

As for the cheesy girl band stuff, well the only ones that I thought were any good were all saints their first album or greatest hits are both fantastic. Pop at its best.

If you are really interested I could always burn some for you.

MaLo

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2003, 02:43:00 pm »
i'm actually thinking i might get him the MP3 discman...he just got an MP3 player in his car last and has been driving around in stereo dork ectasy for the past week

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2003, 06:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by MaLo:
  i'm actually thinking i might get him the MP3 discman...he just got an MP3 player in his car last and has been driving around in stereo dork ectasy for the past week
take a look at the iriver then... i'm completely happy with mine.  it's got upgradable firmwire and a nice remote.
T.Rex

MaLo

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2003, 08:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  take a look at the iriver then... i'm completely happy with mine.  it's got upgradable firmwire and a nice remote.
thats what i got him..the SlimX...i think he'll enjoy it..its pretty cool

thanks for all your help...

Bags

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2003, 11:21:00 pm »
Okay, I want you all who are recommending the iPod to tell us if you're talking about the PC model.

I have the 20 GB iPod and love it to death (I also use it on my stereo and in my car, which absolutely kicks because it's 2400 songs at my fingertips).  And I have about 5 friends who love their iPods as much as I.

That being said, I have a few friends who got the PC versions and have had loads and loads of troubles.  I just think that Mac is king at that kind of multimedia capabilities, and they haven't made it fully compatible with PCs.  Which I have no problem with, since just about everything else is made with f*&^in' PCs in mind.

Just something to get some more specific feedback on.  Of the PC MP3 players, I've heard good things about Nomads and Rios.  Just be sure to get at *least* 5 GB.

Originally posted by chaz:
  Flogging a dead horse here i know....but my wife got me an ipod for my b-day a few weeks ago.

Damn I love that thing......taking 200 cd's with me wherever I go in something the size of deck of cards.

When i'm at home I hook it up to my stereo.  I haven't fumbled with a cd for weeks.  I hook it up to my car stereo too.

For windows (don't know if this has been mentioned or not) he'll need a firewire card (yeah you can use usb2 but then you have to go buy the cable and I don't even know if it's available yet) and don't bother with the included Music Match software for PC...it's a piece of shit.  Go download Ephpod for free.  Easier and works better.

Buy the boy an IPOD and he'll be yours forever!

mjnova

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2003, 09:24:00 am »
Originally posted by poorlulu:
  Well going for the stuff at the bottom......

Carter the Unstopable sex machine is great...... 101 damnations is better than 30 something, I wouldnt bother with the rest.

Pet shop boys, I have been enjoying introspective again just recently. Its sooo gay though. If you like the pet shop boys you will love postal service. Its my favourite of the year (thanks Jadetree)

I just got a best of Pop will eat itself which can even make me smile on the way to work in the morning.

The other thing I think you might like if you dont have already is Depeche Mode Violater.

Also Erasure had some good albums in the 80s, Pop, the 20 singles is a good place to start.

from there you can go back to yazz(oo) and soft cell....

As for the cheesy girl band stuff, well the only ones that I thought were any good were all saints their first album or greatest hits are both fantastic. Pop at its best.

If you are really interested I could always burn some for you.
The funny thing is that from years of reading Q, I know both Pop Will Eat Itself and Carter the Unstopable Sex Machine from the "Where are they now" feature.  I'll keep an eye out for both of those.  

Violator is one of my favorite albums.  I think I have just about everything Depeche Mode has done including the two solo albums.  I listened to some of the recent Erasure covers album and it was painful almost to the point of my ears bleeding.

And I've actually been keeping an eye out for the first All Saints albums.  I remember liking the singles quite a bit at the time.

vansmack

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2003, 09:31:00 am »
I'm really kind of shocked that all of you iPod lovers aren't talking about it's one dimensionality, especially for the price you're paying.

With just a 10 GB model, the ability to run everything a handheld runs (word processor, email internet, etc.) would take up less than .01% of you available disk space, at a software licensing cost of less than $100.  And for you Windows haters, it could use the Palm OS and be even less.

I could never justify spending that much and getting so little in terms of functionality, when it could very easily have been made into an unbelievably useful tool instead of a portable hard drive with music playing capabilities.  More industry short sightedness as far as I'm concerned.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2003, 09:41:00 am »
this is exactly why i decided to go with the iriver slimx 350... i rather buy a used laptop then an ipod or nomad.
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2003, 10:30:00 am »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  I'm really kind of shocked that all of you iPod lovers aren't talking about it's one dimensionality, especially for the price you're paying.

But I want a ferrari of portable music devices.

Light, lean, free of extraneous features dedicated soley to doing one job exquistely well.

I dont want an SUV of a portable player that is heavy cumbersome and whose other abilities (going off road, or pulling a boat, word procesing) I would never use.

Everyone has their own choice and preference, god bless capitalism.

Oh btw they have sold 1 million ipods making it in terms of revenue at least the most popular portable music MP3 device.....

markie

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2003, 10:40:00 am »
   I listened to some of the recent Erasure covers album and it was painful almost to the point of my ears bleeding.

And I've actually been keeping an eye out for the first All Saints albums.  I remember liking the singles quite a bit at the time. [/QB]
Yeah, Erasure sucked completely after their covers of Abba EP abbaesque. That EP is sublime though.

The POP compilation of 20 singles is as good as the human leagues greatest hits....

Yea, you would like allsaints the album is surprisingly not just two singles and a load of filler.

I bet you will like the new Dandy warhols album, welcome to the monkey house.