Author Topic: Best show you saw at the Bayou  (Read 7667 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: Best show you saw at the Bayou
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2005, 02:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by twangirl:
  Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction
There's a name I haven't heard in about 20 years.

Bags

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2005, 03:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

Originally posted by twangirl:
  Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction
There's a name I haven't heard in about 20 years. [/b]
Man that is a riot!!!  I can't even remember any of their songs, but I remember them...

Shadrach

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2005, 03:40:00 pm »
Prong and Course of Empire

What a great show.

boweswana

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2005, 03:52:00 pm »
Zodiac Mindwarp and the Love Reaction was a great show!  How can you forget songs like Prime Mover and Tattooed Beat Messiah?  That is golden.

PRIME MOVER

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Well I Love Tv And I Love T. Rex
 I Can See Through Your Skirt
 I've Got X-Ray Spex
 I Came From The Sky Like A 747
 I'm The Bad Boy Baby I Fell Out Of Heaven
 Sex Fuhrer Baby I'm A Love Dictator
 Blitzkrieg Romance I'm A Cool Dominator

P-R-I-M-E Prime Mover
 Baby You're M-I-N-E I'm The Groover

Well I'm Christ In Shades I'm A Napalm God
 Your Lipstick Flickers Round My Lightning Rod
 You Fever Pitch Bitch You Love To Tease
 Well I'm A Hot Dog Daddy Up On Your Knees
 Sex Fuhrer Baby I'm A Love Dictator
 Blitzkrieg Romance I'm A Living Detonator

P-R-I-M-E Prime Mover
 Baby You're M-I-N-E I'm The Groover Yeah

I'm The Sex Fuhrer Baby I'm A Love Dictator
 You're A Disco Reptile A Funky Alligator

P-R-I-M-E Prime Mover
 Baby You're M-I-N-E I'm The Groover

Chip Chanko

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2005, 04:36:00 pm »
That '00 album blew. So did whatever that new group Heiskell made after they broke up. I'd be interested in seeing them again if the majority of the band is back together. Or if they're playing Convalescing...so maybe i'll be getting tickets.

It's weird but they were mostly just popular around here...HFS played the heck out of Native Son but they didn't get populer nationally till the third album (if they did at all).

Originally posted by Bags:
  Yes, they did play "Convalescing in Spain," in fact.  They played a lot -- over an hour and a half.  Everything I would have wanted except "Margot Known as Missy."  I never got their self-released Judybats '00 album, but they played several songs I didn't know -- at least 5.

Cool, bearman -- you're virtually right beside us!

Jaguär

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2005, 11:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  speaking of which...

best show show you saw at the Ontario?
I never got to DC that much back in those days and I'm confusing some of the venues.

But I can sure tell you the worst show! You know the one Seth. New Order during their 1st US tour. Probably the worst concert ever! Through no fault of your's, I might add.

The entire show started extremely late and NO was drunk out of their minds and put on one God awful show. Rumor has it that you had to go across the street into the deli and pull their asses out and kick them onstage.

Care to elaborate?

SPARX

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2005, 11:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
  speaking of which...

best show show you saw at the Ontario?
I never got to DC that much back in those days and I'm confusing some of the venues.

But I can sure tell you the worst show! You know the one Seth. New Order during their 1st US tour. Probably the worst concert ever! Through no fault of your's, I might add.

The entire show started extremely late and NO was drunk out of their minds and put on one God awful show. Rumor has it that you had to go across the street into the deli and pull their asses out and kick them onstage.

Care to elaborate? [/b]
My elaboration would be that I too, after many years,confuse old shows venues that no longer exist.Funny how that works.Chalk it up to youth, state of mind at the time and the actual amount of time passed.I love when memories get triggered when someone else happens to mention something that rings a bell.Then it comes flowing back,like it was just yesterday.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2005, 07:21:00 am »
New Order at the Ontario...

time for the band to go on and nobody could find the bass player...manager went on instead pretending to play bass while we dragged the real one out of the Cafe Don across the street...I say pretended because the whole show was on tape

I remember people camped outside my office door demanding refunds because the band sucked...they didn't think it was on tape, they just thought they should get their money back because they didn't like them...no I didn't give it to them (if I gave people money back every time a band sucked I'd be living in a small apartment in Hyattsville)

we assumed they'd never be able to show their face here again, but then Blue Monday happened and thay sold out the Warner in a day...they pretended to play there too, but nobody cared

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2005, 08:05:00 am »
a quick peek at the New Order Gigography indicates that six days before that Ontario Theatre show, they played in Detroit where Blue Monday had definitely become a hit at the time.  St. Andrews was packed to the gills on an insanely hot night, felt like 100+, with little to no air condition in the club.  New Order waited until the absolute last minute at 1am so as they could get thier set in before the 2am curfew.  Not a very pleasent experience.  

saw them a couple years later with Gene Loves Jezebel and Echo and the Bunnymen headlining, and the only way to differentiate songs was by identifying the beats spewing out of the drum machine
T.Rex

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2005, 01:17:00 pm »
My fave Ontario show: Thin Lizzy, Dec. 9, 1980. The day after John Lennon died.  The power went out during "Boys are Back" but Lynott and the band carried on, with just the drums pounding and the crowd engaged in a back and forth "boys are back" chant. Impromptu, professional, and awesome.