Author Topic: Best show you saw at the Bayou  (Read 7666 times)

Best show you saw at the Bayou
« on: August 09, 2005, 04:07:00 pm »
Anyone?

I think the only show I saw at the Bayou was Whiskeytown in 1998. They played a 20 minute Sonic Youth cover that singlehandedly cleared out half of the audience.

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Best show you saw at the Bayou
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 04:09:00 pm »
did they play "summer of 69"?  i love that song
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 04:09:00 pm »
I saw a great Smithereens show there.

grotty

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »
I saw dada there on Thanksgiving eve.

Do I get any hipster style pts for this one?

"In 1992, dada exploded on the scene with their critically acclaimed debut release, Puzzle (#2 Billboardâ??s Heatseeker Chart) on Miles Copelandâ??s now defunct, I.R.S. Records. The single "Dizz Knee Land", (#5 on Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart), set the alternative radio movement - just then hitting it's stride - on fire"
 http://www.dadatheband.com

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 04:14:00 pm »
1. Big Audio Dynamite
 2. The Replacements

twangirl

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 04:24:00 pm »
The Sweet were a whole lotta fun.

Voivod w/ Soundgarden & Faith No More. A lot of people left after Soundgarden.

The Stray Cats when Robert Plant showed up after a Page & Plant gig at Cap Center. He didn't get up on stage though. I heard Lois kicked 'em all out after they got too rowdy in the dressing room.

The Tragically Hip on their first-ever US tour.

I was probably at the same Smithereens show.

edbert

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 04:27:00 pm »
NRBQ ruled the Bayou back in the late 1970s and 80s, and this is coming from a guy who saw groups like U2 and The Kinks play there.

Originally posted by Bags:
  I saw a great Smithereens show there.
That brings back a bad memory... whoever ran the PA music was always BLASTING that Smithereens CD that begins with Top Of The Pops... that was one of those venues that insisted on BLASTING music right up until the second the live band started playing.  Groups hate that so much. The impact of a live band starting a set is so much better if they aren't following loud music; in fact it's best if there's NO music before they come on

SPARX

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 04:39:00 pm »
Todd Rundgren playing with Ian Hunter in the same band at a benefit for John Anderson's Presidential campaign.They played both Todd and Ian's songs and also some of their favorite songs by other artists.Still have the T-shirt.

boweswana

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 04:39:00 pm »
Guns n' Roses original line-up on their first tour for Appetite for Destruction.  Shortly thereafter I quit school bought some atrociously tight pants and moved to Hollywood.

Paul Styrene

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 04:46:00 pm »
XTC, The Stranglers, The Plasmatics, Oingo Boingo, Joan Jett, Nina Hagen, and Iggy Pop were really fun shows.

(and having the Insect Surfers perform on my birthday was pretty special too.....)

Chip Chanko

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 04:57:00 pm »
I only saw Too Much Joy and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones there.

Anyone see Billy Joel there?

Bags

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 04:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  Too Much Joy
I saw them there as well, and can't remember a thing about it, not even if it was good or not (only 'cuz I'm old, not because I was inebriated...)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 05:38:00 pm »
I saw the Ramones there a bunch of times in the 80s.  I think The Smithereens actually opened for them.

The Slickees a ton of times.

I accidentally saw Southside Johnny there once.

The only thing I remember about seeing The Tragically Hip was that it was on my birthday and I had free tickets.

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 06:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:
  Todd Rundgren playing with Ian Hunter in the same band at a benefit for John Anderson's Presidential campaign.They played both Todd and Ian's songs and also some of their favorite songs by other artists.Still have the T-shirt.
That was at the Ontario Theater! Check your shirt!

I was there........

SPARX

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 06:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jonas Grumby:

Originally posted by SPARX:
That was at the Ontario Theater! Check your shirt!

I was there........ [/b]
Edit:I may be wrong,shirt says nothing about the venue.I'll check with Hoot, as that is who I went with,along with Eddie Spleen and his brother Mark.I may have went back and checked Ian at the Bayou due to that show,as I noticed he played there shortly thereafter. So,either way it would be Ian Hunter.