Author Topic: Virginia Tech's Professor of Hate  (Read 10725 times)

Re: Virginia Tech's Professor of Hate
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »
How did they know there was a "deranged killer" on the loose? Do you send out a SWAT team for every murder that happens in the world? Can you assume that anyone who kills two people anywhere is going to follow it up with 30 more?

Originally posted by Dupek Chakra:
  Well put.  

Why didn't the SWAT team charge the campus when the first shots were fired at the main crime scene?  They already knew about the prior murders that occurred 90 minutes before. They knew a deranged killer was running loose.  Isn't that what SWAT teams are for?

Maybe they didn't want to violate anyone's rights..?  Maybe they were afraid of lawsuits?  Yeah that's the ticket!  It's better to enter the fray after-the-fact.  Not only do dead men tell no tales, but they don't testify in lawsuits either.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2007, 02:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Why does everyone quote the Constitution and Bill of Rights as if it's some sort of bible to live our lives by? Do you follow all the laws, just because they are laws?
Rhett, sometimes you scare me. You really scare me!

You, as outspoken as you are, should especially be concerned with our rights!

hijinksandsue

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »
The point is that Cho's own writings should have been a clear sign that he was disturbed, and that this was mostly overlooked because the professor reading those writings is somewhat disturbed herself. That's the only reason the article discusses the professor's writings at all, to show that, based on her own work, she may not have really seen anything wrong with Cho's at all  
I'm not entering the initial debate here but I do want to respond to this comment.

From what I have read in news articles on the situation, not only WAS Giovanni disturbed by Cho's writing, but she went to the English department chairperson and asked that he be removed from her class.

The chairperson started tutoring him independently and BOTH teachers (I am pretty sure both, but definitely the chairperson) went to the administration to express their concerns about his mental state and whether he was a danger to the community.

They were told that as long as he had not actually threatened anyone, there was nothing they could do about it.

Jaguar

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »
A perfect case in point of both the teacher and the school observing a potential serious problem and following through on what they are, in fact, required to do, only to be met with a dead end. Sadly, this one was much more deadly than many others.

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »
Still, the coincidence of 'hate prose/poetry' at VT, by both profs & students, is too great to ignore.
Originally posted by hijinksandsue:

The point is that Cho's own writings should have been a clear sign that he was disturbed, and that this was mostly overlooked because the professor reading those writings is somewhat disturbed herself. That's the only reason the article discusses the professor's writings at all, to show that, based on her own work, she may not have really seen anything wrong with Cho's at all  
I'm not entering the initial debate here but I do want to respond to this comment.

From what I have read in news articles on the situation, not only WAS Giovanni disturbed by Cho's writing, but she went to the English department chairperson and asked that he be removed from her class.

The chairperson started tutoring him independently and BOTH teachers (I am pretty sure both, but definitely the chairperson) went to the administration to express their concerns about his mental state and whether he was a danger to the community.

They were told that as long as he had not actually threatened anyone, there was nothing they could do about it. [/b]

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »
jESUS FUCKING cHRIST. tHE cONSTITUTION is a 250 year old piece of paper written by a bunch of fairies walking around in dresses and powdered wigs.

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Why does everyone quote the Constitution and Bill of Rights as if it's some sort of bible to live our lives by? Do you follow all the laws, just because they are laws?
Rhett, sometimes you scare me. You really scare me!

You, as outspoken as you are, should especially be concerned with our rights! [/b]

Jaguar

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2007, 07:28:00 pm »
That very same Constitution protects your rights to call them 'fairies'.

Now, when the overly PC crowd and homosexually sensitive come on here to attact you, I may not bother to chime in to take up for your Constitutionally given rights of free speech since I now know that you have no true understanding and respect towards it. Instead, I'll just sit back and delight in them picking you to pieces for your rude homophobic comment.

sonickteam2

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 04:12:00 am »
just so everyone knows. "all men are created equal" was written by a slave owner.  

and your country was started by a bunch of dudes who wanted to overthrow the government they were living under so they could be rich and powerful.

or is that not the way they teach it in american schools?

sonickteam2

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 04:15:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguar:
   Instead, I'll just sit back and delight in them picking you to pieces for your rude homophobic comment.
i dont believe Rhett is homophobic.

Jaguar

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2007, 09:16:00 am »
Please go back to Canada.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2007, 09:43:00 am »
What's obnoxious about this whole situation is the fact that everyone is looking at this and trying to blame professors and security at the school and all these other extraneous factors that can almost never be controlled.  
 You never know how high of a correlation there was between the student and the professor.  Pointing the finger at the professor is the wrong thing to do.  Interesting, maybe - but wrong.  Regardless, she was protecting his rights.
 Additionally, nobody metal detects you while walking into campus buildings, so yes.  Anyone could have come in and shot the place up.  Yes, SWAT teams should have arrived early.  But they didn't.

I will possibly get shot by a few of you for saying this.  And I am a firm believer in the Constitution and a believer in individuals' rights.  I get pissy when the government takes stuff away from me.  But the gun this kid had should have never reached him.  It should have never been on THE MARKET.  The only purpose of an automatic shotgun like the one he had is to kill.  Why they are legal for anyone other than law enforcement in this country is completely beyond me; it  should be beyond the NRA.  And don't say "background checks," because you and I and everybody knows that in this country you can slip money under the table and get ANYTHING you want.  Obviously, the system is flawed.  So I ask, why is this product even on the market in the first place?  If Cho had walked in there with a hunting rifle he would have been stopped before this many people were killed.  And the only reason this number of people were killed was because of the rifle he was using.

Please stop looking to the past and targeting slightly-valid-but-irrational correlations with professors because it isn't solving anything.  This shit will continue to happen if people only concern themselves with the professors.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2007, 09:46:00 am »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  just so everyone knows. "all men are created equal" was written by a slave owner.  

and your country was started by a bunch of dudes who wanted to overthrow the government they were living under so they could be rich and powerful.

THAT. JUST. BLEW. MY. MIND.

i love how people use this puerile crap as a rhetorical argument, assuming that no one has ever thought about the contradictions of our founding fathers, and using them to discredit whatever they're looking to attack
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2007, 09:55:00 am »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  I will possibly get shot by a few of you for saying this.  And I am a firm believer in the Constitution and a believer in individuals' rights.  I get pissy when the government takes stuff away from me.  But the gun this kid had should have never reached him.  It should have never been on THE MARKET.  The only purpose of an automatic shotgun like the one he had is to kill.  Why they are legal for anyone other than law enforcement in this country is completely beyond me; it  should be beyond the NRA.  And don't say "background checks," because you and I and everybody knows that in this country you can slip money under the table and get ANYTHING you want.  Obviously, the system is flawed.  So I ask, why is this product even on the market in the first place?  If Cho had walked in there with a hunting rifle he would have been stopped before this many people were killed.  And the only reason this number of people were killed was because of the rifle he was using.
i worked on the brady campaign and gun control issues for years, and i can tell you that the one thing that sets back the cause more than anything is people who know absolutely nothing about guns blindly railing against them

Cho didn't have an "automatic shotgun" or a "rifle", he had two semi-automatic pistols.

you'd have to really know what you're doing to make an "automatic shotgun", or somehow get your hands on something like  this
(o|o)

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2007, 09:57:00 am »
Thanks for more crediibly illuminating what I was alluding to.

And where did I say anything about homosexuals? I was making a (joking) slight toward men who affect an air of femininity; which has nothing to do with homosexuality.

Originally posted by le sonick:

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2007, 10:01:00 am »
I'm sorry.  I'm not going to pretend I know a whole lot about guns, because I don't.  But don't you see what I'm getting at?

If he wouldn't have even had access to something semi-automatic...if the only thing on the market for us folks would have been some traditional sort of gun that required much reloading and shot less than his did in that amount of time...he wouldn't have gotten away with killing that many people.