Author Topic: Air roll call  (Read 9575 times)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
Re: Air roll call
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2007, 04:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by lagos:

reviewer also complained that the music was slow, loungey and athmospheric  
Talking about atmospheric music, last night saw the Lisa Gerrard show at the Birchmere, FANTASTIC!!, what a voice, she's just amazing...
 The food, BTW, was excellent   :p  [/b]
well i missed Air, but I did catch Lisa Gerrard last night. A friend was disappointed with the show at Birchmere, although said she sounded great. Of course, since he saw Dead Can Dance, I'd imagine it wouldnt compare.

her performance in NYC was incredible. played close to 2 hours. Explained some of the songs and why they were written (the people they were written for were in the audience). Sound was really great at Town Hall. I think her performing in a church was just perfect. She looked gorgeous in 2 stunning gowns. Her voice couldnt have been better and the songs were just haunting, atmospheric. Beautiful music.

Tonight - The Kooks - a whole different story.

If only I were seeing Air. Lisa Gerrard and then Air would have been perfect.
HeyLa

lagas

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »
   Lisa Gerrard and then Air would have been perfect.
It was...   :D
zorra

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by lagos:

Lisa Gerrard and then Air would have been perfect.
It was...    :D  [/b]
You suck! Im jealous! (Insanely!)
HeyLa

azaghal1981

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »
And on top of that, acoustic TVOTR is the air opener tonight.
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  And on top of that, acoustic TVOTR is the air opener tonight.
does this mean with all these good shows i should move back to dc?  :)  at least i have my own condo to live in for now.
HeyLa

azaghal1981

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2007, 06:06:00 pm »
The show tonight is in nyc.
احمد

ggw

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2007, 10:24:00 am »
Air
 9:30 Club
 May 9, 2007

If you've never lived in DC, you're never going to be able to find your way around DC. It's a driver's nightmare: you're driving down some street, and you think you've got the grid figured out, but all of a sudden you're on some other street, and this one's named after a state or a dead president, and you have no idea where you're going or how to get back to the street you're supposed to be on. I can't even count how many times I've driven to the 9:30 Club, but I still get lost every time I drive there. The 9:30 Club is a DC institution, a place where you can still order Nachos of Ulysses, even though their booking now leans toward Keane and Paul van Dyk rather than the scattered remnants of the DC hardcore scene. In high school, I saw the Reverend Horton Heat there at least once, possibly more; these things blur. As far as DC institutions go, it's not even all that hard to find, but I still somehow find ways to not find it. And so DC might be the reason that I missed the entire first half of Air's 9:30 Club show earlier tonight; all these years and I'm still useless when it comes to finding my way around this town. Air pissed a whole lot of people off at Coachella this year when they started their set 40 minutes late, not the sort of thing you want to be doing at a meticulously coordinated multi-stage festival. Apparently that Coachella set was an aberration, though; they started on time tonight, and I wasn't there for it. In this case, though, I might have to thank the city of Washington, DC for the inconvenience. Half of an Air set, after all, is all you really need. And if it's the second half, all's the better, since you know you'll be hearing the hits, such as they are.

If you're going to see Air at the Theater of Madison Square Garden tomorrow night, I wouldn't necessarily recommend showing up late. For one thing, you'd miss the opening acoustic set from TV on the Radio, which will either be great or fascinatingly awful. For another, the Theater at MSG is practically custom-designed for this group. The ceiling's glowing pinpoint lights make the room look like a cheap spaceship set from a 70s sci-fi movie, and the seats promise to make the inevitable zone-out moments a whole lot more comfortable. In a crowded club, though, the threat of impending boredom is always very real with this band. When Air first emerged about ten years ago, their lush, wispy pillow-pop felt mysteriously urbane, like a transmission from a future race of Leisure Suit Larrys. That shock of the retro-new wore off a little while after their forbiddingly dark score for The Virgin Suicides, still maybe their most fully realized album. Since then, they've released some obnoxiously messy MOR prog (2001's 10,000Hz Legend) and some exquisite wallpaper (2004's Talkie Walkie). But their zeitgeist-moment has been over for years. These days, Justice is the big news in French dance music, and that duo's addiction to filters is all that keeps them from being Air's evil-twin polar opposites. Given that Air's orchestrated burble was already retro as hell when they were new, that makes the group something of a double-anachronism. Still, DC has love for Air; tickets for tonight's show cost $40, and still the venue filled up with people willing to dumb the fuck out for fundamentally drowsy music, a weirdly heartening sight.

That's especially impressive considering that the guys in Air don't actually do a whole lot onstage. Nicolas Godin hides behind an enormous bank of equipment. Jean-Benoit Dunckel dispassionately plucks at a guitar and wispily sings through a vocoder. Three backing musicians hide in the shadows and fill things out. One of those musicians is a drummer, pretty surprising considering that the group's bubbling wafts of sound have never been particularly concerned with rhythm. But that drummer actually made a good addition, upping those tracks' urgency and putting some meat on their bones. You wouldn't necessarily be wrong if you thought that "Kelly Watch the Stars" wouldn't really benefit from a lite-jungle breakdown, but that breakdown somehow didn't hurt the song either. And a little bit of urgency goes a long way when it comes to this group's effete lounge-pop; their light guy also deserves props for turning Godin and Dunckel into strobing feathery-haired silhouettes at the slow-build climax of the show-closing "La Femme D'Argent." Dunckel plays up his Frenchness the same way that, say, the Reverend Horton Heat always played up his Americanness. (Actual stage quote: "Thank you very much, merci. This next song is very romantique.") But that affectation never felt bloodless, especially since the beefed-up arrangements and dizzy lights kept things interesting for the forty minutes I was there.

I'm not sure whether a band that leans so hard on distance could maintain that level of interest over another forty. But the band's rippling, glimmering melodies felt just as inviting as they did back when I first heard them. A couple of days ago, I wrote that the current crop of French filter-metal producers tended to prize adrenaline over emotion. Air have always done just the opposite, letting their pretty melodies dissipate into the air without ever pushing them anywhere. There was something refreshing about that in 1998, and there still is now.

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/statusainthood/archives/2007/05/live_air_not_su.php

Mobius

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2007, 11:29:00 am »
That was an extremely arrogant, generally uninformed, most useless review.  If you don't belong there - b/c you're so cool that you look down on folks who enjoy a night out with Air and are too provincial to know they should be listening to Justice only - why are you there?? Moreso, why are you writing about it? And if you're so inciteful, why don't you realize that the guy was playing bass (nicely) as much or more than guitar - and the show was about the experience rather catching the "hits."

The guy tries to establish himself as a hipster authority, but comes across as mainly clueless to what was going on around him.  DC appreciates atmospheric (dare I say elegant) down tempo music - whether that's the style or not.  I guess he comes around in the end - but again, if you don't belong there, why are you there, and why are you writing about it??  Just get in your car and go home.

bearman🐻

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2007, 11:32:00 am »
Well, any shred of credibility flew out the window when he confused Nicolas and JB. 'Nuff said.

azaghal1981

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2007, 11:49:00 am »
Yeah I could've sworn Nicolas played bass on quite a few songs.

Originally posted by bearman:
  Well, any shred of credibility flew out the window when he confused Nicolas and JB. 'Nuff said.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »
just to be clear and to back up what bearman said:

Nicolas Godin hides behind an enormous bank of equipment. Jean-Benoit Dunckel dispassionately plucks at a guitar and wispily sings through a vocoder.
nicolas was on guitar and bass and vocoder.  jean-benoit was the one behind the "bank of equipment" (keyboards).  what a douche.  he's not even consistent - starts off hating them then finishes with how timeless their music is.  great way to start an article, too - discussing DC street and how he gets lost.  fascinating.

sending someone to review a show that they don't like from the outset seems kinda pointless to me.
<sig>

Christine Moritz

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2007, 05:05:00 pm »
I wasn't at Wednesday's show, but -- from the last two Air shows I saw, and the film "Eating, Sleeping, Waiting, and Playing" -- their outrageously strong French accents are for real, as is their tendency to pronounce English cognates as though they were French words (romantic/romantique).

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »
Sounds like a great show.  I wish they would have hit the Mile High City on this tour but perhaps in the fall.  Their show at the Karma Club in Boston on the Moon Safari tour was one of my favorite shows of all time.  That and their 2004 show at the Hollywood Bowl with an orchestra.