Author Topic: Air roll call  (Read 9577 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Air roll call
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »
kosmo - not sure if this is helpful, but back in the day when i listened to a lot of air, other bands on my playlist included: CFM band, st etienne, stereolab (emperor ketchup!), and a bunch of lesser-known acid jazz and dub acts.

personally, if i was to DJ this show, i'd go space lounge & dubby downtempo... oh, wait, that's what i'd spin at most every show.

FYI, i'm checking out the opener's (Kate Havnevik) music on her  myspace page and am kinda digging it... i was going to propose hanging out in the backbar before Air hits the stage, but what i've heard so far makes me want to catch her performance.  vaguely reminiscent of a bjork/sinead hybrid doing the postal service.  will definitely go well with a martini.  

so i guess i'll save my meet-up idea for LCD this sunday... TBD.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »
was just thinking the other day how cool it would be to DJ for Air but figured they'd have their own pre-show music so... but as it was there was a need for the DJ and person original slated to do it dropped out so here i am diggin' through my stacks of CDs deciding between fully a nice mixture of all of the above (thanks for the st. etienne reminder it was crossed my mind before) along with 60s pop, 70s funk, etc, etc... problem is i have oodles of the stuff and deciding at the last minute freaks me out..

it doesn't help of course that the Heaven 17 re-issues came in the mail today
T.Rex

bearman🐻

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »
PENTHOUSE AND PAVEMENT!! God, one of my all-time favorite songs. Kosmo, that would be so damn cool if you played that. I know Air is mellow, but get us in the mood to dance. Stuff like "Kelly Watch the Stars" will get the crowd going, so I don't think it would be inappropriate to play some Heaven 17.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »
and i will be djing from doors until the opener with Air scheduled to take over in between acts...

heaven 17 is cited as a influence of air...
T.Rex

TheDirector217

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »
How 'bout Groove Jet by Spiller??? Anytime you're going for a loungy vibe, can't miss with that.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2007, 05:01:00 pm »
If this show was any day of the week except Wednesday, I would have went. Have fun everyone, I'm sure it'll be amazing.

Mobius

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2007, 05:17:00 pm »
well, serge gainsbourg, of course . . .

bon-eeee

thirsty moore

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »
Bardot is hot.

Originally posted by Mobius:
 bon-eeee

ggw

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »
I'm disappointed that Rhett has not yet pointed out that the opener - Kate Havawhatevernik - has been featured on Gray's Anatomy six times.  

You're slacking, old man.

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »
Sorry, it's my wife, via her boss, that's in touch with the Gray's Anatomy stuff. I'll ax her about it.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I'm disappointed that Rhett has not yet pointed out that the opener - Kate Havawhatevernik - has been featured on Gray's Anatomy six times.  

You're slacking, old man.

Mobius

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 05:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
  Bardot is hot.

Oui!!

bearman🐻

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 11:56:00 pm »
Wow...another awesome show. I was thinking there was no way they could top the last time they came through, but this was pretty darn close.

Setlist:

Radian
 Venus
 Once Upon a Time
 Napalm Love
 Talisman
 Cherry Blossom Girl
 Run
 Remember
 People in the City
 Mer Du Japon (awesome)
 Photograph
 Don't Be Light
 Kelly Watch the Stars
 ---------------------
 J'Ai Dormi Sous L'Eau
 Sexy Boy
 La Femme D'Argent

All in all, probably going to make my top 10 shows of the year. The lighting was brilliant, sound was perfect from where I was. Some folks might think they're a little bland, but I think they're just perfectionists and they do a great job of making sure that they can reproduce all the subtle nuances of their music. Thank you Seth for bringing them back. It was a great night.

Mobius

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 12:07:00 am »
Oui!!

Looked great. Sounded fantastic.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2007, 12:09:00 am »
bearman: HATE HATE HATE.  i was so proud of myself, having nabbed a setlist from the sound tech.  was about to post it, but you beat me by a few minutes.  oh well, you saved me all that typing        :)      

a great show indeed, surpassed my expectations.  might make the bottom of my year's top 10, TBD (of course).  i was on the floor, about 10-12 feet back, and the sound was amazing - arguably the best i've ever heard the club's PA sound.  "j'ai dormi" and "la femme" were killer.  the boys on stage were obviously having a good time.  main set was about 55 mins, encore (after a mercifully short break) was about 15-20.  i hung out by the back alley and got jean-benoit to sign my setlist, he was very nice and approchable (and short!).  spoke with the keyboardist/bassist tour musician (right side of the stage - Steve Jones?) as well, who informed me that Air will be playing the club again in September.  you heard it here first.

Kate Havnevik was damn good too, although a tad sedated.  sound wasn't as good, resurrect my suspicion that sound tech purposefully make the openers sound bad/a tad worse than the main act.  great voice.

i got to the club about 10 minutes before kate hit the stage, hoping to catch a few of kosmo's selections - but he informed me that kate had "walk on music" (correct term?) so i probably didn't hear any of his set.  kosmo, do post your set list.

aside: as predicted, the crowd was chatty.  grrrr.  downright disrespectful during kate's set, spent a good chuck of her set coming up with evil things to do to the yappers (suggestions that won't get me arrested appreciated).  low frat-boy content.  club about 80-90% full by the time Air hit the stage.  seth and rob from thievery hung out on the stage left balcony (was that twangirl with you?)

seth - thanks again for bringing them to the club.  a memorable night.
<sig>

bearman🐻

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2007, 12:15:00 am »
Sorry sweetcell...damn, that is GREAT that they'll be back in September! I wonder if I'll get to hit another one of their shows if they do someplace like NY or Philly again. I met JB and Nicholas back in 2001 and had them sign my Moon Safari booklet. Very, very sweet guys and very gracious. Wish I could see them with Phoenix across the pond this summer!