Author Topic: Air roll call  (Read 9576 times)

bearman🐻

Air roll call
« on: May 08, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »
My sister saw them in Chicago and I got a full report. Should be a good show, lots of older stuff! Plus they still have the same drummer from the last time they came through, and he kicked ass. Can't wait.

lagas

Re: Air roll call
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »
Ill be there  :D
zorra

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »
someone from the board will give me a free ticket tomorrow!
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »
i'm there - and i'll be scalping a ticket to someone from the board for twice its value so i can get in free   :D  

i read one old review that wasn't flattering.  said the crowd was very chatty, which i can believe - i'm sure lots of frat boys who lost their virginity to "moon safari" will come to the show, but since they aren't into the music will talk about fantasy baseball during the entire set (like the ones i was standing in front of at the Massive Attack show!).  reviewer also complained that the music was slow, loungey and atmospheric - i.e. he wasn't expecting an Air show!  sorta ridiculous.  

i'm definitely looking forward to this.  what would be an appropriate drink for an Air show?  martini?
<sig>

lagas

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »
reviewer also complained that the music was slow, loungey and athmospheric  
Talking about atmospheric music, last night saw the Lisa Gerrard show at the Birchmere, FANTASTIC!!, what a voice, she's just amazing...
 The food, BTW, was excellent  :p
zorra

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 03:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by lagos:

Talking about atmospheric music, last night saw the Lisa Gerrard show at the Birchmere, FANTASTIC!!, what a voice, she's just amazing...
 The food, BTW, was excellent   :p  [/b]
great to hear about the Lisa Gerard show. im seeing her tomorrow night, and cant wait. especially since im bummed that i cant see Air. Some other band is playing that night that I have tix too. I think The Kooks.
HeyLa

bnyced0

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »
I'm going to suspend my boycott on weekday shows and likely go.  I don't have a ticket so I'm hoping they're still available at the door.  They were so short changed at Coachella and it's so rare for them to play here that I want to support the fact that Seth got them to the club, hoping he'll continue to book the less known artsy foreign acts in the future....fyi acoustic TV on The Radio are playing at the NYC show on Thursday along with Kate.  If anyone needs to sell a spare I'll take it.

bnyced0

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by xneverwherex:

The food, BTW, was excellent    :p   [/b]
great to hear about the Lisa Gerard show. im seeing her tomorrow night, and cant wait. especially since im bummed that i cant see Air. Some other band is playing that night that I have tix too. I think The Kooks. [/b]
Kooks are saturday.

slowgraffiti

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »
i'll be there. i'm trying to figure out where the $40 goes... what's their setup like?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by bnyced0:
   They were so short changed at Coachella and it's so rare for them to play here that I want to support the fact that Seth got them to the club, hoping he'll continue to book the less known artsy foreign acts in the future....
agreed.

do you (or anyone else) have the story with their late showing at 'chella?  i was in position for Rage at the time and didn't want to leave my spot (which i abandoned one song in, i was TOO close   :)  ) so i didn't suffer through the wait to hear Air.  why were they so late?
<sig>

eltee

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »
  I'm going to suspend my boycott on weekday shows and likely go.
I don't have a boycott, but logistics that keep me from shows during the week. I'd really like to go, but I think I can only afford the Ben G. show this week.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by slowgraffiti:
  i'll be there. i'm trying to figure out where the $40 goes... what's their setup like?
yes, they have a big setup with racks of old synths and lights (i.e. expensive to move around the country).  i also bet they are traveling with an entourage (vs. a garage band traveling without roadies, sound techs, managers, etc).  finally, i'm sure their earning expectations are high - unlike a garage rock band that will play for gas money.  i suspect that they expect a decent payday for each show.

Air does not jam econo.
<sig>

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 04:06:00 pm »

Originally posted by xneverwherex:

The food, BTW, was excellent     :p    [/b]
great to hear about the Lisa Gerard show. im seeing her tomorrow night, and cant wait. especially since im bummed that i cant see Air. Some other band is playing that night that I have tix too. I think The Kooks. [/b]
Kooks are saturday. [/b]
Thanks for the update on the Kooks. I live in NYC and they are playing here on Thursday/Friday nights. The Air date might be wrong, I just know I have a conflict with another concert.
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 04:15:00 pm »
From Steve Jones, Air tour musician:

It was a nightmare. Here's what happened:

1. The reason we were so late going on stage was that the American crew fucked up big time backstage - there was a spaghetti junction of leads, and no-one knew what was wrong. Half the lines were down, including some crucial stuff like bass, SH-101, JB's keyboards etc. We couldn't start to play until these things were fixed... and it was heartbreakingly frustrating to be kept waiting and waiting.
 2. Because of the above problems, there were stacks of problems with the mix.
 3. No-one had diarrhea.
 4. They were enforcing the set times, so the set was cut really really short - we had four more songs on the list.

Anyway, I feel awful for the Air fans who came to Coachella. Sorry to all of them...

Originally posted by sweetcell:

do you (or anyone else) have the story with their late showing at 'chella?  i was in position for Rage at the time and didn't want to leave my spot (which i abandoned one song in, i was TOO close    :)   ) so i didn't suffer through the wait to hear Air.  why were they so late?
(_|_)

Christine Moritz

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
 said the crowd was very chatty, which i can believe - i'm sure lots of frat boys who lost their virginity to "moon safari" will come to the show, but since they aren't into the music will talk about fantasy baseball during the entire set (like the ones i was standing in front of at the Massive Attack show!).
Frat boys would've had "Moon Safari" on their radar?  Seriously??

And people talking about fantasy baseball during a Massive Attack show -- that just boggles the mind.  Then again, at a Thievery Corporation show a few years back, I recall some two frat-boy types yelling toward the stage, "You guys RAWK!!"

Maybe there's more overlap between the frat-boy and downtempo scenes than I'd like to believe...