Author Topic: Top Five All-Time Greatest Sophomore Albums  (Read 8044 times)

vansmack

Re: Top Five All-Time Greatest Sophomore Albums
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2004, 02:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:
  My dislike though has only solidified over time with subsequent mediocre to poor releases.
True that.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2004, 02:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by igor:
  my top 5:

big star - radio city

#1 Record/Radio City is quite possibly one of the best one two punches ever released by a band.
T.Rex

redsock

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2004, 02:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by grotty:

Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by redsock:
  Live- Throwing Copper (and i don't care what you think)
Smackette and I were talking about that last night.  Trio had a Live show from Belgium and they played some of the better (non-popular) songs from that album (White Discussion, T.B.D.) and played some videos from Mental Jewelry before commercial breaks.  They were such young kids during the writing and making of Throwing Copper to produce such a brilliant album.  I think it is a great sophomore album, and true as well because they could barely be sophomores in college at the time.  

Good call. [/b]
I saw them touring for this record @ the old Club. It was before the record had broken HUGE. It actually was a very good show. A ton of energy. I hate to admit it, but it was probably one of my fav shows in the old space.

6 months later I hated them. That probably says more about me & my short attention + a serious dislike for things popular than it does about them.

My dislike though has only solidified over time with subsequent mediocre to poor releases. [/b]
I saw them just after it broke big at the WUST Hall, now known as the 930 club. It will certainly go down as one of my all-time favorite shows. So much energy, the crowd was insane. And Weezer opened. Well. so did Fatima Mansions, but other than Brennser, I'm pretty sure nobody noticed.  Lots of stunning mediocrity since.

thirsty moore

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2004, 02:30:00 pm »
Our looooove is... like walter.

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2004, 02:37:00 pm »
Big Star tops my most overrated bands list. Sure, they're not terrible, but their music isn't all that innovative, and there are tons of bands that have done stuff in that vein since then that have been better.

I would say the same thing about Gram Parsons, though not as harshly (at least he was a bit innovative in his merging of country and rock).

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

Originally posted by igor:
  my top 5:

big star - radio city

#1 Record/Radio City is quite possibly one of the best one two punches ever released by a band. [/b]

eltee

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2004, 02:59:00 pm »
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2004, 03:07:00 pm »
Spiritualized--Pure Phase
 Spacemen 3--The Perfect Prescription
 VU--White Light/White Heat
 Death In Vegas--The Contino Sessions
 The Stooges--Fun House

Venerable Bede

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2004, 03:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  I saw them just after it broke big at the WUST Hall, now known as the 930 club. It will certainly go down as one of my all-time favorite shows. So much energy, the crowd was insane. And Weezer opened. Well. so did Fatima Mansions, but other than Brennser, I'm pretty sure nobody noticed.  Lots of stunning mediocrity since.
saw that show in austin.  heck, i saw them like 4 times for their first album, and another 3 times for their second.  they did a pre-tour of throwing copper that i saw at slim's in san francisco with vic chesnutt opening, then in austin with fatima mansions, weezer and live (sidenote:  i've seen weezer twice, both times as opening act), and the third time was in Salt Lake City with veruca salt and pj harvey as openers.

i really haven't had the time to consider the questions on the table. . .maybe i'll get to it tonight. . .after all, a's game doesn't start until 10.
OU812

Random Citizen

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2004, 08:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by LonnieBeale:
  Sorry...don't think its nearly as fresh and exciting as their debut.  Still okay though.
Going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this. The album is much better in a lot of ways than TOTBL. Paul's voice is stronger, the lyrics are both dark and romantic and the music is very solid.